PDA

View Full Version : Further proof that Chinese Restaurants will rule the world

Midnight Mike
2008-02-18, 12:27 PM
Iraq Gets A Chinese Restaurant

http://www.middle-east-online.com/en...lt.pl?id=23941

Baghdad gets taste for Chinese takeaway

Chinese restaurant opens in Baghdad’s popular Karrada neighbourhood despite security fears.

The sign, written in both Arabic and Chinese characters and hoisted above a bland yellow shopfront in Baghdad's popular Karrada neighbourhood, is hard to miss -- "Chinese Restaurant."

A young woman wearing skintight jeans, her hair blowing in the slight breeze, is sweeping the entrance. "Welcome!" she says in halting English.

Yan returns inside and joins the three others involved in the venture -- all Chinese: her husband Tsao, who owns the restaurant, Lo and Wo. Tsao attends to customers, Lo and Wo do the cooking and Yan handles the cleaning.

LGA777
2008-02-18, 11:21 PM
My wife has taken me a few times to a popular Chinese Resturant in a popular tourist area in her home town of Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic. It's really strange seeing and hearing the few Chinese employees and the owner speaking Spanish to the customers, though most of the staff is Dominican. BTW foods pretty good and cheap !

LGA777

adam613
2008-02-19, 11:29 AM
Is it American Chinese food, or real Chinese food?

RDU-JFK
2008-02-19, 11:46 AM
My wife has taken me a few times to a popular Chinese Resturant in a popular tourist area in her home town of Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic. It's really strange seeing and hearing the few Chinese employees and the owner speaking Spanish to the customers, though most of the staff is Dominican. BTW foods pretty good and cheap !

LGA777

I know what you mean. I experienced the same thing in Madrid--all the Chinese employees were speaking Spanish and it was quite strange!

Midnight Mike
2008-02-19, 12:41 PM
Is it American Chinese food, or real Chinese food?

This is the real food, right from the mother-land!

Nonstop2AUH
2008-02-19, 06:40 PM
Well, according to Wikipedia, there's 1.3 billion people in China and 40 million "overseas Chinese" and they do have a way of getting around and finding business opportunities. When I lived in the Gulf in the '90s Chinese engineers, contractors, businesspeople etc. were starting to show up and while there were always one or two Chinese restaurants in the hotels (along with Mexican, Italian etc.), some independent Chinese places opened and such. I can imagine that some of the Chinese in the Gulf might have migrated up to Iraq in search of entrepreneurial opportunities like this.