PDA

View Full Version : In need of a good neckstrap...

wunaladreamin
2008-02-17, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, I've decided it's time for a new, more comfortable neckstrap. I've looked at a LowePro online as well as a few others and I'd like to know if some of you use a neoprene setup and how you like it.

Derf
2008-02-17, 03:04 PM
OP/Tech (THE ONLY NECKSTRAP) I sold Moose on it too

it will make you camera and lens feel at least 1/2 the weight...Now think about a 70-200 2.8 on your neck and it only weighing half the ammount for the entire wedding. My small lens on the second camera (about the weight of the kit lens) Hurt but not the 70-200 monster because of the good neck strap! You will be sold if it cost a bundle, and it is cheap as hell cost wise only! LOOK NO FURTHER!!!!

wunaladreamin
2008-02-17, 03:10 PM
Thanks!! I saw that on eBay as well and was quite curious. I knew Moose had some other neck strap getup. I recently picked up a 400mm lens and it is heavier than grandma'a gravy spoon. I will definitely check this one out.

Derf
2008-02-17, 03:19 PM
You will really love it! I am buying another for my camera bag...IT IS WAY TO HEAVY and I do not want to take anything out to make it lighter. I CAN NOT WAIT for that strap! :borat:

moose135
2008-02-17, 04:36 PM
Absolutely - like Fred said, get an Op/Tech strap, nothing beats them. You can pick one up at any of the local camera stores for around $20. And after Fred sold me on getting one, I seem to have sold him on getting one for his bag. I got one for my bag, wider & longer than the one for the camera, for about $30 at Berger Brothers.

Greg_NY
2008-02-18, 02:42 PM
I have a follow up question on this subject.

Like many of you, I have the Canon 100-400 lens and when I go to an airshow, for example, I spend 6-7 hours carrying this lens around.

I like the idea of the OP/Tech neckstrap and I am going to buy one shortly. I am concerned however of supporting the heavy camera and lens combination using only the camera strap hooks. Do you think there is undue stress on the lens mount?

(What I have been doing is supporting the lens with my hand, but that grows tiresome quick.)

wunaladreamin
2008-02-18, 03:34 PM
I could see where a monopod would help in idle situations, but would it be too cumbersome for when you're shooting?

adam613
2008-02-18, 06:14 PM
I could see where a monopod would help in idle situations, but would it be too cumbersome for when you're shooting?

I've got a monopod...I'm going to try it one of these days...I think it's doable with a ballhead.

Derf
2008-02-18, 07:22 PM
Do you think there is undue stress on the lens mount?

NO, I have never seen a case where this was an issue.....only a problem if you drop the camera and lens.... Go right ahead and use it as is...and you will let it dangle with the new strap....I am sure you do not let the old one do it as it would hurt too much after 1/2 hour. YOUR GONNA LOVIT!!!

Greg_NY
2008-02-18, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

wunaladreamin
2008-02-27, 09:01 AM
Sorry I'm a wee bit late on this but I wanted to give a BIG thanks to Fred and Moose! The Optech strap is nothing short of a god send! Sunday I went all day with my 400mm around my neck and I didn't feel any stress on my neck until the day was almost over. Anyone experiencing the problem I did need not look any further than Optech. Thanks again guys!

nikon50bigma
2008-02-29, 05:31 PM

it will make you camera and lens feel at least 1/2 the weight...Now think about a 70-200 2.8 on your neck and it only weighing half the ammount for the entire wedding. My small lens on the second camera (about the weight of the kit lens) Hurt but not the 70-200 monster because of the good neck strap! You will be sold if it cost a bundle, and it is cheap as hell cost wise only! LOOK NO FURTHER!!!!

Fred I bought that strap recently but the one thing I constantly think about is those buckles uncliping from the strap.
Doesn't that ever worry you?

Derf
2008-02-29, 06:53 PM

Fred I bought that strap recently but the one thing I constantly think about is those buckles uncliping from the strap.
Doesn't that ever worry you?

Pull really hard on it...

No.....REALLY HARD.... Feel better? ;)