PDA

View Full Version : DVD war is over, Toshiba is pulling the plug on HD DVD

Midnight Mike
2008-02-16, 11:46 PM
Toshiba pulling the plug on HD DVD already? - Yup it's over.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/16/tosh ... d-already/ (http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/16/toshiba-pulling-the-plug-on-hd-dvd-already/)

Japan's NHK has followed up The Hollywood Reporter's earlier indications Toshiba was ready to dump its money-losing HD DVD business, with news that the company is prepared to cease manufacturing software and hardware, at a loss of hundreds of millions of dollars.

This caps the worst week ever for red, when HD DVD was dumped by Netflix and Wal-mart, pushed to the background by Best Buy and put on -- an apparently incredibly short -- deathwatch right here. Toshiba is mum on the subject right now, but we hear there's plenty of cheap players and movies in a dumpster around back of the HQ.

T-Bird76
2008-02-20, 12:02 AM
Sony hasn't had a victory like this in sometime, but the fact is Blu Ray is just a better format. Hopefully the prices of the players will come down in price. I was holding for for this exact reason to see which one made it.

cancidas
2008-02-20, 12:26 AM
glad i didn't bother buying into the hype. no matter how much money you spend on your "home theater" what you're going to get is never as good as going out and doing it yourself in person.

adam613
2008-02-20, 12:32 PM
Last night, I was in Circuit City buying the last Xbox 360 in Brooklyn and some guy came in wanting to return the HD-DVD player he just bought. It was highly amusing.

JHNA57
2008-02-20, 01:10 PM
This may be a dumb question BUT?

Will Blu-Ray still play any of my old DVD movies or thing that I have recored on a DVD recorder??

Matt Molnar
2008-02-20, 01:16 PM
Yes it will.

heeshung
2008-02-20, 01:46 PM
I guess I can still watch the HD-DVDs I have already then.

T-Bird76
2008-02-20, 05:20 PM
I guess I can still watch the HD-DVDs I have already then.

Watch them on what? A Bluray player? Only if its a duel format player. If your talking about your HD player then yes you can still watch them.