PDA

View Full Version : Condiments on Burgers

RDU-JFK
2008-02-15, 12:39 PM
I like my burgers WITHOUT mustard and mayo. One thing I love about NYC is that in places like McDonalds and BK they do NOT put mustard on burgers. Apparently everywhere else in the US they put mustard on burgers but not NY. WHy is this the case?

I've also noticed that west of the Rockies mayo is a standard.

What are your thoughts?

PhilDernerJr
2008-02-15, 01:03 PM
I didn't know they put mustard or mayo on them in other places.

I love both mayo and ketchup on mine, but I don't care. I've done mustard, but I didn't think that was common at all.

pgengler
2008-02-15, 01:15 PM
I've gotten mustard at McD's down in central NJ and over in PA, and my girlfriend also says it seems to be a NY-area only thing not to include it. I don't really mind mustard, but I HATE mayo, lettuce and tomato. The only good thing about a burger from Wendy's is that the lettuce is useful for scraping off the mayo.

eric8669
2008-02-15, 01:16 PM
I didn't know they put mustard or mayo on them in other places.

I love both mayo and ketchup on mine, but I don't care. I've done mustard, but I didn't think that was common at all.

Its very common anywhere outside of NY. Anytime I travel south or West it is usually the case.

If you ever order a Tuna Sandwich from Panara, they will put Mustard on it.

nwafan20
2008-02-15, 01:48 PM
I never knew there was a McDonalds in existence that DIDN'T put mustard on their burgers...

Midnight Mike
2008-02-15, 01:57 PM
I like my burgers WITHOUT mustard and mayo. One thing I love about NYC is that in places like McDonalds and BK they do NOT put mustard on burgers. Apparently everywhere else in the US they put mustard on burgers but not NY. WHy is this the case?

I've also noticed that east of the Rockies mayo is a standard.

What are your thoughts?

It freaks me the hell out when they put mustard on a burger.

Here is one for you, there is a place in California that has excellent pastrami, only thing is that they put EVERYTHING on it, & when I mean everything, I mean it.

First time I ordered from the place I freaked the hell...

Now, I have to be very detailed otherwise they screw it up....

RDU-JFK
2008-02-15, 02:11 PM
I never knew there was a McDonalds in existence that DIDN'T put mustard on their burgers...

Go to ANY McDonalds in NYC including airports and you're safe...no mustard :borat:

hiss srq
2008-02-15, 02:17 PM
Stack it, if you can put it on a burger I can eat it on one barring seafood items due to allergy.

Matt Molnar
2008-02-15, 03:02 PM
I remember the first time I ate at a McDonald's outside NYC and thinking WTF is this? I love mustard on a lot of things, but burgers are not one of them.

My burger condiments of choice: mayo, ketchup, lettuce and pickles.

hiss srq
2008-02-15, 03:09 PM
Bar McDonalds, Burger King, Checkers and the like. Those are disgusting processed hunks of garbage. REAL burgers.

Alex T
2008-02-15, 04:48 PM
Hamburgers, I always get a double cheeseburger with Ketchup and Mustard thats it.

Alex

heeshung
2008-02-15, 05:45 PM
I don't think fast food restaurants in northern NJ put mustard on their burgers either.

I think what goes on the burger by default just varies from region to region, depending on what the taste preferences of an area are. For example, if you go to any other country with a U.S. owned franchise, such as KFC or McDonald's, you'll notice that the stuff they serve, although similar, can taste drastically different.

I went to a McDonalds in Tokyo's Narita Airport once, and they put a whole lot less salt on their fries. Asians generally have salt intakes that are much less than ours, so Japan's branch of McDonalds alters the recipes to fit the country's tastes. They have different items on their menu also.

Go to an Asian country, for example, Japan, and you'll find they have Ebi Filet-O (shrimp burgers), Koroke Burger (mashed potato, cabbage and katsu sauce, all in a sandwich), Ebi-Chiki (shrimp nuggets) and Green Tea-flavored milkshakes. Go to Thailand, where virtually all food is sweet or sour, and you'll probably feel that their ketchup has no salt in it at all.

mirrodie
2008-02-15, 06:21 PM
They throw beets on the butgers in Burger king in Australia :roll:

Matt Molnar
2008-02-15, 06:53 PM
They throw beets on the butgers in Burger king in Australia :roll:
I jut threw up in my mouth a little.

Nonstop2AUH
2008-02-15, 06:54 PM
Not a fan of anything besides ketchup on a burger, in fact always wondered whose idea it was to put mustard and mayo on there but I guess we are in the minority. I associate mustard primarily with hot dogs or deli sandwiches but maybe that's a local NY thing. Mayo I don't much like at all (sorry Mr. Hellman - who apparently was from Flushing)....

As to some of the other observations, while I never ate in one when I was there (so never got the beets), I noticed that BK in Australia used to be called Hungry Jack's. It was strange because the logo and brand image was the same, just the words were different. In another regional twist on global fast food, in the UAE I used to enjoy Pizza Hut's stuffed crust halloumi cheese pizza. Sort of like a salty, chalkier mozzarella.

And has anyone else here eaten in a Jollibee? That's a different-tasting burger...

LGA777
2008-02-15, 11:57 PM
Suprised no one has mentioned this but a burger with lettuce tomato and 1000 Island dressing ROCKS. Not common but have seen them in a few places and their really great. Another favorite topping of mine is avacado, used to get those at TGI Fridays.

On a side note remember being at both McDonalds and BK in London Airports and having to pay for packets of condiments such as Ketchup. Mayo, etc. I think it was like the equivlent of around 2-3 cents each but just the prinicple of it bugged me. That was back in the 90's so not sure if its still the case?

Cheers

LGA777

LGA777
2008-02-15, 11:59 PM
Stack it, if you can put it on a burger I can eat it on one barring seafood items due to allergy.

Wow Spellman so that's at least two things you are allergic to, seafood and work !

Sorry buddy but you left your self open again.

LGA777

cancidas
2008-02-16, 02:18 AM
Wow Spellman so that's at least two things you are allergic to, seafood and work !

LOL!!

ever since moving out to AZ i've never been satisfied with burgers here in NY. they just don't taste right IMO. when i make them at home i usually use just a little bit of mayo and bbq sauce. no ketchup, i reserve that for fries. i have had burgers with mustard, and in some parts of TX, AZ, and UT it's just not possible to get a burger without mustard. it's pretty good actually, but it also depends on the burger itself. as far as veggies go i usually drop some chopped onions on to the melted cheese, then add lettuce and tomatoe. no pickles for me, at least not the "fake" american ones.

Nick
2008-02-16, 07:41 PM
Sauteed onions with chipotle tabasco sauce. Then I take mayo and ketchup and mix 'em. Yeah, special sauce!! Can't go wrong! If I'm not into the spicy ATM I'll go with some raw onions.