PDA

View Full Version : Damage to Concorde at Floyd Bennett

Speedbird1
2008-02-13, 12:18 PM
I nearly cried when I visited the British Airways Concorde, G-BOAD, at Floyd Bennett Field last week. One of the windshields in the cockpit was completely smashed-up. What kind of security is being provided by Aviator Sports? Evidently, vandals did this when there was nobody around. As a Brooklynite, I am outraged. Why was their no video surveillance? My comments to Aviator Sports, the temporary guardian of the Concorde until the new pier is built by the Intrepid Museum, went unanswered. They also stopped allowing guests to enter the cabin. Last summer, we were allowed inside. I was thrilled that a Concorde was staying in Brooklyn, but this is disgraceful. I hope there is no further damage and that the nose gets repaired.

mirrodie
2008-02-13, 12:52 PM
Evidently, vandals did this when there was nobody around.

Evidently not. This was noted back at least as far back as October.

See:
http://concordesst.yuku.com/topic/529/t ... tml?page=1 (http://concordesst.yuku.com/topic/529/t/Visted-G-BOAD-Visor-Damage-pics-added-by-GR.html?page=1)

Gerard
2008-02-13, 08:19 PM
> What kind of security is being provided by Aviator Sports? Evidently, vandals did this when there was nobody around. As a Brooklynite, I am outraged. Why was their no video surveillance? <

I'd be surprised if it was from vandals. Forget Aviator providing security, Floyd B. is home to NYPD Special Operations Division and the US Park Police and Park Rangers regularly patrol the area so if it was from vandals they have some big, uh,
you know what, lol.

markg
2008-02-14, 05:21 PM
Mario

Send an email to British Airways to complain.

They will ensure that the necessary repairs are made. Part of the contract with the museums that had the Concorde donated to them was that the museums were responsible for keeping it in pristine condition. Failure to do so can result in the aircraft being reposessed by BA and donated to other more deserving venues.

cancidas
2008-02-14, 06:06 PM
Mario

Send an email to British Airways to complain.

They will ensure that the necessary repairs are made. Part of the contract with the museums that had the Concorde donated to them was that the museums were responsible for keeping it in pristine condition. Failure to do so can result in the aircraft being reposessed by BA and donated to other more deserving venues.

while i see BA having a say in this matter, i don't think the problem lies with the intrepid museum but those that were charged with keeping the concorde at FBF. all things considered, i don't know where else BA would send that airplane if they chose to take it away from Intrepid.

Speedbird1
2008-02-15, 12:11 PM
I think that BA already knows. I am fearful that BA may seize the plane and send it elsewhere; out of NYC.

T-Bird76
2008-02-15, 01:34 PM
BA should seize the plane and remove it from NYC. I'm sorry but the Intrepid is no place for the Concorde to be. If it was dispayed at JFK that's one thing but the way its being treated now...it should be removed from the city.

GrummanFan
2008-02-15, 03:58 PM
NY has a rich history in aviation, but there's a reason why so many manufacturers moved to the dry climates out west. I hate to watch planes deteriorate while outside and exposed to the elements, including not just the Concorde but many of the gems on the deck of the Intrepid. Put her inside something, or get her out of here.

mirrodie
2008-02-18, 04:21 PM
Too bad we could not have this at JFK. JFK deserves the honor.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9017/cdg038bc1.jpg

cancidas
2008-02-18, 10:58 PM
Too bad we could not have this at JFK. JFK deserves the honor.

you're right, in place of that stupid samsung cell phone statue...

crj200dispatcher
2008-02-19, 07:53 AM
It is sad how people have no respect for things that may not mean much to them, but for many others, it does have a meaning too, and these people feel they can vandalize it.

One of the highlights of working the morning shift at TWA when dispatch was in Hangar 12, was going on the roof and watching the Concorde depart.

I know I am not from New York any longer, but has anyone thought of maybe getting a petition going to have the aircraft moved to JFK and on permenant display?