PDA

View Full Version : Change in JFK GND Snow procedures

kc2aqg
2008-02-12, 11:15 PM
So I've been listening to the JFK Ground/Clearance feed all afternoon and as of this evening, I've noticed the ground controller who is handling arrivals making the following announcement every 3-5 minutes:

"If there's any aircraft out there that has their gate available and is sitting out on a taxiway or is stuck behind another aircraft, speak up now."

This is certainly, in my mind, the ATC/FAA response to the Valentine's day snowstorm last year. It's really interesting to listen to, and in every single case that I've heard so far, at least one flight has spoken up and been able to work its way to the gate. I am still hearing stories of 2.5+ hour gate waits, but at least it's not more and traffic seems to be moving around the airport much better than last year (for those who were listening during the Valentine's day storm).

If you have some time, listen to the live feed tonight or listen to the archives for sometime after 7 PM, they are just fascinating to listen to and picture in your head. And if any ATC happens to read this, it's days like this that reaffirm my respect for the job your guys do. JFK ATC is first class, no doubt about it.

nwafan20
2008-02-13, 01:27 AM
Haha, what a coincidence, I was listening to JFK Clearance/Ground all night (6:30-10:30) and it was nuts! I couldn't believe some of the stuff that was going on, I really have respect for the JFK controllers!

kc2aqg
2008-02-13, 08:26 AM
Did you hear that AA/Alitalia nose to nose situation? That was insane.

Also, the Delta terminal sounded like a total cluster$#&% with gate changes and delays. In fact, they sounded a lot like jetBlue did during last year's storm. This year jetBlue seemed to cope just fine.

I think ATC in general is the most interesting during irregular operations, but the Ground/Clearance feed really has its best moments during times like this.

adam613
2008-02-13, 01:11 PM
This year jetBlue seemed to cope just fine.

JetBlue probably did fine because ever since the Valentines Day Massacre, they cancel half of their flights when the weather is forecast to be bad :P

nwafan20
2008-02-14, 07:01 PM
Did you hear that AA/Alitalia nose to nose situation? That was insane.

Also, the Delta terminal sounded like a total cluster$#&% with gate changes and delays. In fact, they sounded a lot like jetBlue did during last year's storm. This year jetBlue seemed to cope just fine.

I think ATC in general is the most interesting during irregular operations, but the Ground/Clearance feed really has its best moments during times like this.

Haha! Yeah, the nose to nose was pretty funny, the controller was like "WHAT???" haha

Yeah, that was a mess. Did you hear when the pilot is like "Yeah, uhh, they are saying it will be 5(0) to an hour for the gate" Controller: "Uhh, thats a big window, 5 to an hour" Pilot: "Oh no, you misheard me, 50 to an hour"

haha that was great.