PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Madness

lijk604
2008-01-28, 08:47 PM
Identified Flying Objects Over Phoenix
By JOE SHARKEY
Published: January 27, 2008
PHOENIX — IT may be too late now, but if you moved quickly the other day you could have booked a three-night stay over Super Bowl weekend at the Ramada Limited Airport North in Phoenix for a cool $2,382.78.

You read that right. A Ramada wants $2,382.78 for three nights during the Super Bowl.

The swankier hotels and resorts in the Phoenix area, of course, have been booked for months, or even years, for next Sunday’s game. But the astonishing room rates that even roadside properties are demanding say something about the three-day spectacle the Super Bowl has become. Whatever it is to most of the 70,000 or so fans who will be there, it’s corporate America’s Mardi Gras, no expense spared, to the businesses that cater to them.

Consider the private jets. The Arizona skies will be full of them next weekend, as corporations and well-heeled individuals head to Phoenix with clients or colleagues in tow. ....more

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/business/27bug.html?scp=12&sq=airlines&st=nyt

lijk604
2008-01-28, 08:52 PM
Here's what I can add to that. As of this moment my company has 3 aircraft heading out there.
One has to park at Scottsdale (SDL), one at Deer Valley (DVT) and one was lucky enough(?) to get a parking spot at Sky Harbor (PHX). As for rooms? Mr. Sharley is exaggerating a bit, they are high, BUT, just today I got three rooms at a Mariott property near PHX for only $329/night. Total there for 3 rooms for 2 nights was a little over $2k. Thankfully, our clients all want to leave Monday morning.

moose135
2008-01-28, 10:11 PM
Giants flew to PHX today in their usual UA 763.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9905

Family, friends and other team personnel go out Thursday in a UAL 747. They said they may need an A320 as well for the "overflow".

NIKV69
2008-01-29, 12:42 AM
Yea it's nuts, also remember the PGA tour is in town so the inn keepers and restuarants are loving it.