PDA

View Full Version : NYC Knife Law Help

cancidas
2008-01-23, 02:50 AM
i'm looking for clarification regarding knife laws here in NYC. i got a phone call today from a buddy of mine, he's in NYC for the week. the guy lives and works in TX and as any good texan carries a knife with him eveywhere. he was stopped today in the subway and had his knife confiscated by the NYPD, they saw it clipped to his pocket.

now, the knife he has is the same model i own. it's a folding knife, the blade is exactly 3 inches long. i've always been under the impression that as long as the blade is 3 inches or shorter, the knife is legal. i've been searching online for a while now and have yet to find a solid explanation of the law. does anyone here know? i know we've got some pretty frivilous laws here int he city, and i really don't want to have this one confiscated on me as i'm walking to the pizzeria. in all honesty, it's things like these that make me miss living in AZ!

this is the knife in question:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/CRKTM16-10Z.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-23, 07:10 AM
Matt,

I used to be a huge knife fan, and NYC laws and its gray areas are what slowly killed that hobby of mine.

As I understand, the actual law states that you can't have a knife that has either a push-button release, double edge blade, and cannot be longer than 4 inches.

Your Columbia River knife looks like it should be legal to carry.

However, regardless of that, if a cop sees you with it, you can easily go downtown. They call it a weapon and you're done. Of course, we all clip it in our pockets, and they're visible. Your friend is lucky he wasn't arrested, which would still be ridiculous.

Your best best is to leave the knife at home and pound aggressors with your polar paws. :lol:

Though NYC is very safe, I find it ironic that in a busy place where I feel I may need protection, the laws and rights that allow me to do so are extra-limited.

I have a couple CRKT's still. They are certainly my favorite in terms look and quality.

cancidas
2008-01-23, 05:59 PM
Your best best is to leave the knife at home and pound aggressors with your polar paws. :lol:

thanks dude, i got a good chuckle out of that. i don't carry the knife for self defnse, i see no need for that. between my leatherman and my knife i can't count the amount of times that i've needed such a tool and been glad to have one on me. it might be a small thing that needs taking care of, but being able to do it and move on is worthwhile in my book.

aside for that, i've yet to faced with a situation where i've needed to use a weapon to protect myself.