PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Damaged DC-9...

cancidas
2008-01-17, 01:35 AM
[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1317931/L/[/airliners

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-17, 10:20 AM
Lucky this didn't happen.

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9deMKE-iek[/youtube

LGA777
2008-01-18, 03:28 PM
Actually I can't remember all the details but this happened as a result of a hard landing on a DC-9 that been rebuilt from a previous incident. Anotherwords most DC-9's would not have had this result from just the hard landing alone but because of the first incident and repairs from same the fuselage lacked the same structural intergrety for this type of force. If DHG750R reads this maybe he remembers more.

Before anyone jumps on US's maintenance over my coments there are many rebuilt aircraft flying around out their that have been damaged in an accident but rebuilt and returned to service. They are pefectly safe but again might be more apt to have a problem in a once in a lifetime hard landing or similiar event.

The most recent rebuilt's that come to mind are the DL/Shuttle Amercia E-170 at CLE that is now back in service and the IB A-340 at Quito currently being rebuilt.

Regards

LGA777

adam613
2008-01-18, 04:19 PM
Phil, that video is one of my favorites :)

hiss srq
2008-01-18, 06:12 PM
Actually I can't remember all the details but this happened as a result of a hard landing on a DC-9 that been rebuilt from a previous incident. Anotherwords most DC-9's would not have had this result from just the hard landing alone but because of the first incident and repairs from same the fuselage lacked the same structural intergrety for this type of force. If DHG750R reads this maybe he remembers more.

Before anyone jumps on US's maintenance over my coments there are many rebuilt aircraft flying around out their that have been damaged in an accident but rebuilt and returned to service. They are pefectly safe but again might be more apt to have a problem in a once in a lifetime hard landing or similiar event.

The most recent rebuilt's that come to mind are the DL/Shuttle Amercia E-170 at CLE that is now back in service and the IB A-340 at Quito currently being rebuilt.

Regards

LGA777

Or WN's 737 from skidway

stuart schechter
2008-01-29, 12:09 AM
They didn't write off that 340?

cancidas
2008-01-29, 03:27 PM

i thought they did too, but knowing WN they might just have repaired it...

Alex T
2008-01-30, 06:04 AM

i thought they did too, but knowing WN they might just have repaired it...

WN or IB?

Ya, the WN 737 at MDW returned to service July or August of 2006 I believe after being involved in the Dec 2005 incident.

Skin was fixed, new nose, cabin of the front seemed to be restraightened. Pretty good job on it!

Also re registered too, flying now as N286WN previously registered N471WN.

Alex

cancidas
2008-01-30, 01:37 PM
alex why was the reg changed? was the airframe sold?

Alex T
2008-01-30, 02:12 PM
alex why was the reg changed? was the airframe sold?

No the air frame was fixed as mentioned.

They changed the registeration because someone died as a result of the incident.

Same deal when airlines change flight numbers, airlines will typically change registerations as well. Mostly out of respect.

Alex