PDA

View Full Version : Tampa (TPA) vewing area

SengaB
2008-01-14, 09:28 PM
Greetings,
I will be pasing through the Tampa area tomorrow to visit a friend in Venice, FL. Does anyone know if TPA has viewing parks? Is there anything worth stopping by for that is stored there?

Thanks,
Senga

hiss srq
2008-01-14, 09:34 PM
The econo lot and the parking garage. Givem e a buzz while you are in the Sarasota County area I will give you places to head to.

LGA777
2008-01-14, 10:01 PM
Senga, couple of TPA notes. Nothing stored their, and the parking garage and seperate long term parking offer great spotting. The problem is the traffic, I can't think of anything at TPA that is not at MCO. Lots of WN, DL, US, NK, NW, FL, B6 etc. The only thing I can think of that serves TPA but not MCO is the BA 777 ( LGW Based) and I think it only runs 3/4 days a week The locals seem to have hardly any problems with local law enforcement, a big plus.

Cheers

LGA777

SengaB
2008-01-15, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the info :)
Yea I will decide of I stop off at TPA when I am actually in Tampa. Ill see if I feel like it then. If I do stop it will be for less that 1 hour just to see if there is anything interesting on the GA ramps or transient parking.

Thanks fore the offer hiss, I will let you know if I stop by.

Senga

NYARTCCFAN
2008-01-15, 02:31 PM
Senga let me know if you are definetely going to do some spotting here. Maybe we can meet up at the Garage. My backyard is a semi-ok place especially with the birds taking off to the North from THE 36'S(some good views with the sun in the afternoon to the west illuminating the flights).

nikon50bigma
2008-01-15, 07:18 PM
When I was down there the econo parking garage was pretty good. But the viewing area was pretty bad, it was surrounded by tress and support columns. There were a lot of smokers out there...
But that was how it was when I was there last April for the MacDill airshow.

LGA777
2008-01-15, 09:32 PM
When I was down there the econo parking garage was pretty good. But the viewing area was pretty bad, it was surrounded by tress and support columns. There were a lot of smokers out there...
But that was how it was when I was there last April for the MacDill airshow.

That was not the viewing area but the roof area for the smokers to smoke.

The pretty awesome viewing area is the 6 level parking garage, floors 4-9, with views in all 4 directions. 360 degrees, here are a few random views.

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0790835/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0326235/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1061758/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1148939/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1032099/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1090173/L/[/airlinersYou need a good lense for the runway but the ramp is fairly close. Just not a lot of super interesting traffic, both MCO and FLL have much more interesting traffic.

Cheers

LGA777

hiss srq
2008-01-16, 09:38 AM
Those pics make me want to go home.

SengaB
2008-01-16, 03:40 PM
Since this wasn't a spotting trip I decide to go straight to Venice, FL as I decided to maximize the time to spend with my friend. However we did take a quick drive to VNC and then SRQ. VNC has a Casa 212 unfortunately it wasn't shootable. The only 3 airliners I saw move at SRQ was DAL MD-82, GWY A320 and TRS 717. I did shoot the GWY just for SRQ documentation purposes.
Nice viewing area at SRQ unfortunately its on the backlit side of the airport.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/gwy.jpg
Thank you all for the for the information about TPA.

hiss srq
2008-01-16, 05:41 PM
Post more! Post more! I miss home!

SengaB
2008-01-16, 07:55 PM
LOL Ryan I only took one pik :)
It didn't turn out too badly for a backlit shot.
Senga

hiss srq
2008-01-17, 04:16 PM
Senga, next time CALL ME! I have three places you could have shot from that would not have been backlit. I would have sent you around the other side of the field. Thanks for a shot from the home front though. I need to go hammer SRQ for the day soon!

SengaB
2008-01-20, 03:49 AM
Hi Just got back from Nassau,
No problem hiss, I thought about checking out the other side but it was getting close to sunset :(
It was a nice little airport.

Senga