PDA

View Full Version : 5-Year-Old-Boy Mistaken for No-Fly Lister, Treated as One

Matt Molnar
2008-01-09, 04:16 PM
A 5-year-old boy and his mother were interrogated and had their belongings painstakingly searched when agents realized the child shares a name with a man on the federal No-Fly List. When his mother gave him a comforting hug during the ordeal, TSA ordered that they be re-searched to ensure the two had not exchanged weapons.

http://www.king5.com/video/featured-ind ... vid=206446 (http://www.king5.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=206446)

Have the terrorists won?

hiss srq
2008-01-09, 04:42 PM
I know that some on here are going to come to the defense of DHS but honestly, quite honestly that is a load of S#!t. Come on now. Has our nation and government stooped to that low a level. Common sense walked out the door along with respect for the attempt to defend us from terrorism with that event as far as I am concerned.

Alex T
2008-01-09, 05:58 PM
When his mother gave him a comforting hug during the ordeal, TSA ordered that they be re-searched to ensure the two had not exchanged weapons.

Holy Cow, if that was the case then search EVERYONE on the plane, gates, bathrooms, restaurents everytime a hug is exchanged! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

That is just F-D UP!

Alex

cancidas
2008-01-09, 06:57 PM
Have the terrorists won?

yes.

emshighway
2008-01-09, 07:11 PM
OK, so the child's name came up on the "No Fly" list. Obviously they made the call and had it cleared (SOP). They could have been made selectees for other reasons but none the less they were selectees. Yes, it is procedure for parents not to touch their children until both are cleared through. This is so a person doesn't use the child to carry a weapon through then before cleared the adult grabs the weapon.

People have smuggled weapons and drugs on children and the elderly before. There have also been cases of guns stuffed in teddy bears.

It is sick that people would do this and that yes no one can be beyond suspicion.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-09, 09:34 PM
If someone is on the no-fly list, then there should be no exceptions. Though the person probably did not commit a crime or do anything to be on it, who cares if they were interrogated.

Terrorism or not, the no-fly list also pertains to regular criminals, so no, the terrorists have not won, as it doesn't necessarily even pertain to them.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-09, 10:25 PM
When it comes to a 5-year-old who is clearly not the person in question, more discretion should be used.

emshighway
2008-01-10, 10:15 AM
When it comes to a 5-year-old who is clearly not the person in question, more discretion should be used.

How do you know discretion wasn't used? Obviously they were allowed to fly so the no fly status wasn't enforced. The procedure is to call the TSA Ops Center in DC who clears the person. If he was treated as a "No Fly" as the subject line assumes then he wouldn't have been able to fly. It makes a better story if you skirt over these major details.

PHL Approach
2008-01-10, 04:39 PM

How do you know discretion wasn't used? Obviously they were allowed to fly so the no fly status wasn't enforced. The procedure is to call the TSA Ops Center in DC who clears the person. If he was treated as a "No Fly" as the subject line assumes then he wouldn't have been able to fly. It makes a better story if you skirt over these major details.

Oh just like it took a few years before Law Enforcement officials had started using discretion against us. I look like no one that would cause any harm. Don't get me started on this No Fly list... As if all our names are individually ours. Nobody can have the same name. Do you use anything else to be able to tell that is the ACTUAL person! Apparently not, "Oh he has the same name as this guy, ok then put him into a holding room and interrogate the hell out of him/her."

...Because that's the American Way!

emshighway
2008-01-10, 05:24 PM

Oh just like it took a few years before Law Enforcement officials had started using discretion against us. I look like no one that would cause any harm. Don't get me started on this No Fly list... As if all our names are individually ours. Nobody can have the same name. Do you use anything else to be able to tell that is the ACTUAL person! Apparently not, "Oh he has the same name as this guy, ok then put him into a holding room and interrogate the hell out of him/her."

...Because that's the American Way!

Tim McVey looked harmless too.

Yes, there are other factors taken into account. There is a push to supply more initial information when taking reservations to rule out the multiple matches on the list.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-10, 07:10 PM
I'd loee to hear recommendations on how we SHOULD manage airport security.

I have no problem being asked a few questions because I have the same name as a potential terrorist if it helps secure safety.

Mateo
2008-01-11, 12:12 AM
And how much time and effort was wasted on clearing a 5-year-old to fly instead of doing actual security?

adam613
2008-01-11, 12:42 PM
Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

Who says a 5-year-old couldn't be a terrorist? The Palestinians have been using children as suicide bombers for years...

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-11, 01:01 PM
In a case like this, I think proper discretion would be playing it safe by at least talking to the kid and his parents.

As emshighway said, discretion WAS used, as he was allowed to fly anyway.

emshighway
2008-01-11, 06:04 PM
And how much time and effort was wasted on clearing a 5-year-old to fly instead of doing actual security?

Probably not that much and it wouldn't have taken anyone from the checkpoint so actual security was being do ne.