PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else had this with the Canon 100-400?

mirrodie
2008-01-08, 01:06 PM
A few months ago, I noticed that when I zoom in, then zoom back out, it seemed that there was some resistance to zoom out the lens. It's an on and off phenemonon and the shots are unaffected.

YEsterday while spotting with Bill, he diagnosed my issue. One of the black internal rings ( I forget the proper name...it may be a lens stop but its not optically sound) which can be seen when you look head on at the lens, was loose and falling backwards toward the camera body.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. And the cost of repair at Canon? It seems like a simply enough fix but....I can't do it. I'm tempted but just can't!

T-Bird76
2008-01-08, 01:23 PM
Yes in fact as I told you Mario its your fault my lens is doing the same thing ;) Right after Mario told me about this promblem with his lens I started having the exact same problem with mine and saw what Mario is talking about last night. My lens is out of warranty so hopefully the cost of fixing it won't be to high...I'll send it into Canon sometime in Feb.

lijk604
2008-01-08, 01:50 PM
Mario & Tommy, are your lenses about the same "age"? I'm just wondering if it's something we (that own the 100-400) will all start to encounter.

T-Bird76
2008-01-08, 01:51 PM
I'd say within a few months of each other, certainly not more then a year.

mirrodie
2008-01-08, 01:55 PM
mine is from 11/28/05

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-08, 01:58 PM
I'm sure I'm jinxing myself, but I'm pretty sure I've had mine for the longest, since Spring of 2004.

I only had a slight problem at some point when I heard a grinding while zooming. Nothing ever came of it, but I sent myself into a long panic over it anyway.

I don't think their problem is common for the lens.

mirrodie
2008-01-08, 02:11 PM
figures we the pair of merry tools would have the same problem!

same cars
same accidents
same lens issues.

It doesnt appear common as I did a search but its annoying. Hate to think it'll run $150 to fix a simple problem!