PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Paid for Brooklyn Home Damage from Concorde

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-05, 01:51 PM
From WNBC.com:

NEW YORK -- Allstate Insurance Co. has agreed to pay $995,000 to a Brooklyn couple who claimed their house was badly damaged by vibrations caused by an Air France Concorde jet nearly five years ago.

The couple, John and Annette Ferranti, initially won a $1.15 million verdict against Allstate last month after a trial in Manhattan's state Supreme Court. Allstate had filed a notice they would appeal the award.

Allstate's lawyer, Bruce Farquharson, confirmed the settlement but said he could not comment further.

The Ferrantis sued after Allstate refused to pay for damage to their 12-room concrete and steel house created by vibrations from an Air France Concorde as it took off from John F. Kennedy airport on July 21, 2002. (read more) (http://www.wnbc.com/news/14982537/detail.html)

SengaB
2008-01-05, 01:59 PM
They must have connections.
Truely sickening.
Senga

h2opunk1822
2008-01-05, 04:53 PM
im sorry.. but that is the biggest load of garbage i have ever heard..

T-Bird76
2008-01-05, 06:59 PM
Why is this a load of garbage and sickening? Its no secret the Concorde caused damage to structures as it took off.... If the findings were true and in this case since they won their suit it looks like it was then why shouldn't the insurance company pay for the damage? Perhaps I'm wrong...but I pay homeowners and if my house is damaged from an outside event I'd put a claim in...and expect it to covered. Allstate will go after BA and AF as most insurance companies would to recoup the funds. I don't see anything wrong with this case at all. How would you feel if your house suffered from damage you didn't cause and your insurance company told you to go screw?

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-05, 07:54 PM
I just wonder how realistic it is in this case. I'd have to see maps of where they lived in relation. Apparently the testimony of a noise expert was enough to make Allstate agree t settle....all after they seemed determined to fight and beat it.

ngreed
2008-01-06, 10:30 AM
Wow, that does not seem realistic to me. I to would like to see a map of where they lived in relation. Seems like more then a coincidence that it took them this long to file a a claim.

mirrodie
2008-01-06, 12:36 PM
I don;t think its realiztic. What about the EVERYDAY bibrations taht a house takes on. Garbage trucks and the like rambling by.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. Otherwise, BA/AF could in theory have a class action sized suit (pardon my uneducated legalese) considering so many other homes would have suffered the same fate.

Gerard
2008-01-06, 01:10 PM
Interesting if you read the whole article is that this is from ONE incident where supposedly a Concorde had
problems after take-off and had to fly low level. It doesnt say if the plane eventually gained altitude and departed or returned to the airport. It also says the jet "buzzed" the area. Mmmmmm. I guess the jury wasnt comprised of "spotters". LOL!!
Actually for me I would have LOVED to see a Concorde flying low level around Jamaica Bay and Brooklyn!! Now THAT would have looked really cool.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-06, 01:22 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

Speedbird1
2008-01-07, 09:57 AM
According to the NY Post article of Jan 5, a Mill Basin homeowner won a $1 million lawsuit for damage to his house from a Concorde departure back on July 21, 2002. This is baffling because the suit claims the departure was from Runway 22R. The standard 22R Concorde departure never passes over Mill Basin; it flies over Jamaica Bay to Arverne in Rockaway. The departure sounds like a standard 31L Concorde departure over Canarsie and Mill Basin, but the suit specifically states that it was a 22R departure. How can a 22R departure pass over Mill Basin, Brooklyn? No flight number is given or departure time. I am puzzled.

SengaB
2008-01-07, 03:00 PM
Tommy, How would I/we feel? Personally I wouldn't sue unless I felt someone had intentionally or knowingly caused me or my possessions harm. Its a rule I live by. It just me I guess. It seems its just someone whow as able to sue and KNEW they would win.
People will do anything to get something for nothing or with little effort as possible.
Scary times I tell you.
Senga

Matt Molnar
2008-01-07, 04:13 PM
Very interesting that the homeowner/plaintiff built the house himself. Probably out of duct tape rather than nails. How did the Concorde only ruin their house and no others in the neighborhood?

SengaB
2008-01-07, 09:46 PM
I wonder if the Insurance company had their peoeple to go over records to see if the house was built to leagal standards :)

Records state that the structure was primarially constructed with Popcickle sticks, Elmers Clue, voodoo and a heck of a lot of luck.
Senga

Idlewild
2008-01-10, 08:55 PM
I wonder if the Insurance company had their peoeple to go over records to see if the house was built to leagal standards :)

Records state that the structure was primarially constructed with Popcickle sticks, Elmers Clue, voodoo and a heck of a lot of luck.
Senga

Usually a rep inspects the house top to bottom and front to back before granting coverage. If there are problems the insurance company will not issue insurance until all problems are resolved. I also wonder if they had flood insurance. Something I bet is a problem (flooding) in Mill Basin, and Allstate could have used as a defense if the home owners didn't have flood insurance.

SengaB
2008-01-11, 03:37 PM
Wow that would be somehting else. I normally don't side with big business but I hope they would fight it.

Senga