PDA

View Full Version : MaxJet Planes at JFK

T-Bird76
2007-12-28, 03:45 PM
So just an update on MaxJet's planes at JFK, 250 and 251. 250 should be gone by the time of this post. She is going out to Victorville and will reconfigured for 260 seats and will be flying for Air Seychelles as one of their planes is down. I got aboard 250MY and talked to the rep from ILFC, very nice guy, some MaxJet employees were on hand as well getting the plane ready for departure. They were waiting for fuel which was being paid in cash as well as other ground service, all cash and carry basically, very interesting to see. The MaxJet folks were in good spirits and they couldn't have been any nicer, I wish them the best of luck. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the cabin..typical biz class seats, AA's biz class is much nicer. The cabin was also very worn, you could tell MaxJet def took the cheap way out. Sorry no pics of 250MY, lots going on in the cabin and didn't want to be a bother to the crew and ILFC, but again they were all very nice and I thank them for the time they spent with us.

As for 251 she is missing an engine and god knows how long she will be there for. She's parked over near the old PanAm hangars where the Varig 777 was parked for more then a year.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/MAX_White_JFK_122807.jpg

nwafan20
2007-12-29, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the insight! Very sad to see Maxjet go...

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-29, 11:32 PM
Tommy is lucky to have been on the last regular colors Maxjet just hours before it left JFK for the last time.

Aren't the Pan Am hangars the current United ones? The Varig was by the AA ones, though, right?

cancidas
2007-12-29, 11:34 PM
did anyone notice that she's sitting there with no engines?

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-29, 11:37 PM
did anyone notice that she's sitting there with no engines?

Yes, we all did, but you apparently didn't read the words associated with the photo. :lol:

T-Bird76
2007-12-29, 11:58 PM
Tommy is lucky to have been on the last regular colors Maxjet just hours before it left JFK for the last time.

Aren't the Pan Am hangars the current United ones? The Varig was by the AA ones, though, right?

Yes Phil that's correct, they are the UAL hangars now but I think everyone still refers to them as the PamAm Hangars. Somethings die hard you know?

NIKV69
2007-12-30, 01:21 AM
The leasing co is listed in Vegas but the chances are slim of it coming here. Would probably go get painted maybe.

kc2aqg
2008-01-09, 02:04 PM
I think Phil is correct re: the Varig 777, I remember seeing it sitting next to AA Hangar 10 a few times. The Pan Am/United Hangar(s), is that the Hangar 19 complex or does this refer to a different building?

I also agree, very sad to see Maxjet go. They were always an exciting variety to catch at JFK. At least the 762's will still be flying though, there aren't that many left, especially with the JT9D engines (which I think are the ones Maxjet has ala ex-TWA).

Delta777LR
2008-01-09, 02:29 PM
All of Maxjet's 762s were PW JT9D engines except that N253MY GE GF6-80s engines. The first Maxjet 762, N250MY just to mention was one of the 767s that Qantas flew. And I believe most of them were ex; TWA jets. Im not sure what N253MY flew with though.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-09, 02:34 PM
Good background, Sergio. Thanks. :)

T-Bird76
2008-01-09, 03:13 PM
Only one was with TWA 260 but her last onwer was Aero Continente. 250 was from Qantas, 251 was with Air Gabon as the last airline but was with a ton of airlines, none of which was TWA. 253 was with Air Mauritius. So only one was with TWA. Most of TWA's 762s got scraped, some went to ABX/DHL and one went to Air China. The rest are Coke cans.

Delta777LR
2008-01-09, 03:24 PM
Thats great info Tommy, thanks for the heads up

Informant
2008-01-10, 11:31 AM
Zoom airways isn't doing to good either...canceling all flights to JFK and Bermuda until march.

T-Bird76
2008-01-10, 12:01 PM
Zoom airways isn't doing to good either...canceling all flights to JFK and Bermuda until march.

This could simply be a seasonal change as fares to London in the winter generally aren't the highest yielding. Zoom has some odd pricing..IMO a bit deceptive. They advertise these great fares to London and then hit you with a HUGE surcharge which brings the fares within the mark of AA and Delta.

adam613
2008-01-10, 12:23 PM

This could simply be a seasonal change as fares to London in the winter generally aren't the highest yielding. Zoom has some odd pricing..IMO a bit deceptive. They advertise these great fares to London and then hit you with a HUGE surcharge which brings the fares within the mark of AA and Delta.

It seems like everyone does that lately...A few weeks ago, I looked at fares from NYC to London on Orbitz, and for every airline, the fare was about $200 rt but the after taxes it was in the $500 range.

Informant
2008-01-10, 09:48 PM

Well they have had to put some of their pax on BA and AA flights so....who knows.