PDA

View Full Version : This One's for Tom: TWA L-1011 Commercial

ChrisW
2007-12-24, 05:42 AM
Makes me want a steak (the video, of course).

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIavXew9bPY[/youtube

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-24, 06:50 AM
I tink I gots to change my underwearz.

Midnight Mike
2007-12-24, 09:52 AM
Makes me want a steak (the video, of course).

Excellent find! Don't bother calling Tommy for the next 30 seconds, his hands will be south of the border :lol:

Matt Molnar
2007-12-24, 02:11 PM
Did the middle seats not have overhead storage? Or is that a fake interior made to look bigger for the commercial?

T-Bird76
2007-12-24, 08:10 PM
Did the middle seats not have overhead storage? Or is that a fake interior made to look bigger for the commercial?

No middle storage Matt on any of the 1011's. Those cabins are so cool, like no other plane around. I remember flying those birds to London, nice ride. One thing I liked about TWA's L10's were the middle seat back would fold down and become a table. Really gave the coach cabin a nice touch to it.

moose135
2007-12-24, 10:55 PM
I remember those orange and yellow interiors! Neat stuff!

As Tommy said, there were no overhead bins over the center seats - people didn't carry on as much crap as they do today, and the airlines were stricter about checking the size and quantity of carry-ons.

I remember flying those 1011's a bunch domestically, especially to Denver and the West Coast. Even in Coach you had a comfortable seat and great service, and First Class was a special experience. And Tommy, I think TWA had similar fold down seats on other a/c as well - I think I remember them on the 707, with 3x3 seating, the center seat on each side could be folded down when not in use.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-25, 09:49 AM
Wow, I never realized that they didn't have overhead bins in the middle. I was on my first L-1011 earlier int he year and I have been saying how it feels like you're standing in a giant room...and I now see that it's because of the lack of overhead bins.

That kind of space, I think, improves comfort psychologically.

NIKV69
2007-12-25, 06:07 PM
I flew on them when EAL first got them. They were nice, quiet and roomy. I was just watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles and one of the airport scenes you see a TW Tristar. So cool. Going to visit the two sitting at IGM in a few days.

LGA777
2007-12-25, 06:37 PM
The video is a nice trip down memory lane. I was fortunate enough to fly on many L-1011's, mainly DL and EA between TPA-ATL in the 70's. I have also flown on 1011's of TWA, Pan Am (500) BA, and Gulf Air, so I know the aircraft well. While the lack of center overhead bins contribute to the feeling of space and airiness, especially above the passengers the ceilings where also somewhat higher than the competing DC-10's and 747's of the day. I remember many flights looking around the cabin in awe of how much bigger it felt than the competition. There was one downside to flying on the Tristar for me. The windows where small especially compared to the DC-10 but they where high up in relation to the seats. As an adult it only bothered me a little but when I was 12-14 and much shorter than today I had restricted viewing, kind of like a CRJ-200 only to high instead of to low. I hope I get another oppurtunity to fly on one again someday.

Cheers

LGA777

ChrisW
2007-12-25, 07:30 PM
Speaking of trips down memory lane, check out http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/pla ... index1.htm (http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/planes/TWA%20Terminal/Old_Terminal_5/index1.htm).

Iberia A340-600
2007-12-25, 07:37 PM
Oh boy, I clearly remember sitting at one of those tables in the upstairs cafeteria! First time I saw a Northwest 747-400.

dimamo1983
2008-01-04, 12:21 PM
Oh wow, soo much legroom in coach *drool* :borat:

(For those that don't know me, I'm about 6'9" - 6'10")

Alex T
2008-01-12, 11:31 PM
Speaking of trips down memory lane, check out http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/pla ... index1.htm (http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/planes/TWA%20Terminal/Old_Terminal_5/index1.htm).

I think I just cried........ :(

WOW OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW!!!!!!

Mark my words, if bringing TWA back meant making WN go BK I would do it. I loved TWA so much, not as firely as Tommy does but I had such passion for TWA also.

Alex