PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at JFK's 22L

Speedbird1
2007-12-18, 02:18 PM
On your list of JFK spotting sites, you mention standing by a school to watch 22L inbounds to JFK, but you don't give the exact location of the school. There is no school or field on Rockaway Blvd. You call the spot "The Mounds" and you're right about mosquitoes and ticks in the summer. We always stood at the intersection of Rockaway Blvd and the lead-in lights up on a hill so we could see the aircraft approach far out, view it overhead and view it touchdown and taxy all from 1 spot. We haven't returned since 9-11 but it was the greatest spot, especially when the Concorde approached. Incidentally, the place has now been re-named Idlewild Park Preserve. I have no idea if the Park is fenced-off now. I know it features wetlands, tall grasses. We used to see packs of wild dogs as well as cyclists using the area.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-18, 02:26 PM
People were chased out of there by police and with the exception of the A380's first flight, no one has been back since.

T-Bird76
2007-12-18, 02:47 PM
Packs of wild dogs! Wow I think the I'd rather put up with the ticks at the mounds, LOL. If it’s a park now couldn't we use it without a hassle or at least communicate to the proper authorities about using it? I mean if it’s a public park then why not?

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-18, 03:07 PM
I'd rather fight dogs than ticks. Depends on how many are in the pack though. I never fought more than 4 dogs at one time. (kidding, though I would choose dogs over ticks)

There's also that park down the block from The Mounds that I enjoy.

adam613
2007-12-18, 03:11 PM
There's also that park down the block from The Mounds that I enjoy.

Yeah, that's Brookville Park, on the north side of 147th Ave. On the west side of the park, it's hard to spot unless you like belly shots. But I've always been curious about the east side of the park...would it work for morning 22L arrivals? It'd be much closer than North Woodmere Park, but I have no clue how the sun positioning would work...

eric8669
2007-12-18, 03:28 PM
This is the view you get from Brookville Park.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0992593/M/

nikon50bigma
2007-12-18, 05:59 PM
People were chased out of there by police and with the exception of the A380's first flight, no one has been back since.

People were chased out of the 'mounds' or the wetlands surrounding them?
I always thought that at the mounds people usually left spotters alone.

Iberia A340-600
2007-12-18, 07:03 PM

People were chased out of the 'mounds' or the wetlands surrounding them?
I always thought that at the mounds people usually left spotters alone.

Phil is talking about a different location then the mounds.

The police have paid a visit to the mounds a couple of times but I don't believe we have ever been asked to leave there.