PDA

View Full Version : Philly Cheesesteak Shop Tells Patrons to Speak English

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-15, 11:39 AM
PHILADELPHIA — A small sign that asked customers to order in English at a famous cheesesteak shop was never meant to be offensive, the shop's owner testified Friday at a hearing to decide whether the policy was discriminatory.

Joe Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, defended his policy before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, which filed the discrimination complaint.

"This country is a melting pot, but what makes it work is the English language," Vento told the commission. "I'm not stupid. I would never put a sign out to hurt my business."...(read more) (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316939,00.html)

One thing I love about our nation is the diversity. I can go out and eat food from any corner of the globe within 3 blocks of my home. Through people I've met, I can learn so much about other cultures without ever having to travel there.

However, English is where we all come together. No matter what nation you are from, or what culture or heritage you want to celebrate, we all ARE Americans, and we have a national community that we need to work together on to improve and maintain. Communication is the first step to that.

Although, saying "This is America, Speak English!" is a bit on the aggressive side.

NIKV69
2007-12-15, 11:56 AM
Well I will say this if a country lets you in and lets you work and reap the rewards the least you can do is learn the language. I don't think it is asking too much. Or at least learning enough to communicate. As for the shop owner I can't see how it is discriminatory. It's his shop, his property and he reserves the right. I would think he has every right to do whatever he wants in his own resturarant.

LGA777
2007-12-15, 01:03 PM
I wonder if this guy is a little like the fictious and infamous Soup Nazi from Seinfeld ?

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-15, 01:54 PM
Not to go off-topic, but the Soup Nazi is real. "Soup Man" chains are run by him.

As for the language thing, I just can't believe how some people feel that they are being disrespected if they are asked to learn English. No one is forcing them, but it's apart of our country.

nwafan20
2007-12-15, 02:04 PM
It is a simple business request, in order to order your food, the workers need to know what you want, unless you want them to learn every language on the planet...

cancidas
2007-12-15, 02:53 PM
i have to agree with the guy. when my great-grandfather came to this country he was forced to learn english before he was able to work. he spent a year using help from the church to learn the language, and then went on to dig the hudson tubes.

if he could do it, so can everyone else. people are inherently lazy and will feel most comfortable among thier own. but it is a simple fact that in this country, while it is possible to experience everythig from all parts of the world, the official language is english. just look at any atlas.

hiss srq
2007-12-15, 02:59 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/jetjocksrq/Why20The20Hell_edited-1.jpg

Mellyrose
2007-12-15, 03:09 PM
Hahaha, Ryan. True!

njgtr82
2007-12-15, 08:50 PM
Well I will say this if a country lets you in and lets you work and reap the rewards the least you can do is learn the language. I don't think it is asking too much. Or at least learning enough to communicate. As for the shop owner I can't see how it is discriminatory. It's his shop, his property and he reserves the right. I would think he has every right to do whatever he wants in his own resturarant.

Exactly

Tom_Turner
2007-12-16, 10:57 AM
"Press 1 for English" is not even always an option. Occasionally I hear some Spanish first and then Press 2 for English.

I do feel the sign this guy put up might be "aggressive" or unfriendly in some way.

However, have the people holding this hearing ever ventured into Sheepshead Bay or Coney Island in recent years. There are stores where the signs are entirely in Russian. No English translations. Everyone speaks Russian. There might as well be a sign "Speak Russian when ordering" Who knows? If its in Russian, I can't understand it.

None of that is really an issue for me though. What I find annoying is the number of counter help employees at places that sell coffee, bagels & sandwiches that can't understand English (when a majority of their customers speak English) and consequently screw up the most simple of orders.

Big thumbs up for the Korean deli & grocery owners and employees that are actually familiar with the brand names of every item in their store. They were on the receiving end of a lot of hostility in New York for many years, because some folks didn't like their prices or their race, but too damn bad. Their stores were clean, their shelves were stocked, the goods were fresh, they stayed open late, comprehended first come/first serve, were polite, and made correct change.

TT