PDA

View Full Version : NYC to Consider Horse-Drawn Carriage Ban

Midnight Mike
2007-12-08, 03:45 PM
NYC to Consider Horse-Drawn Carriage Ban
Dec 8, 7:27 AM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - The horse-drawn carriages that clip clop around Central Park could be banned under City Council legislation to be introduced at the urging of animal advocates who say the horses are treated inhumanely.

Councilman Tony Avella, who plans to introduce the bill next Wednesday, said the horses that have entertained tourists and New Yorkers for decades are exposed to cruel conditions and are at risk of injury or death as they weave through city traffic.

In September, a horse died after it was spooked by street musicians with drums and bolted down Central Park South. It was the second such incident in less than two years.

"This situation is only getting worse - the animals are not being treated properly, and enough is enough," Avella said. "Horses are incompatible with traffic - especially midtown traffic."

It is not clear how much support his bill has in the 51-member council, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said last week that the horses are cared for and should stay as a New York City fixture.

"These are things that the tourists like and New Yorkers like and they define a city," he said.
The Horse & Carriage Association of New York issued a scathing statement in response to the proposal, stating that the city's carriage horses are in excellent health and Avella "is the one who should be put out to pasture."

"Our industry is made up of predominantly Irish and Italian working families who have for generations made their livelihoods in the horse carriage industry," the group said. "NO ONE is more invested in the health, safety and welfare of our horses than we are. They are not only our livelihood, they are a part of our lives and we care deeply for each and every one of them."

The city has 220 licensed carriage horses, 293 certified drivers and 68 licensed carriages, said association spokeswoman Carolyn Daly, who noted all horses spend four months each year at a farm and are eventually retired to farms.

The Health Department issues permits and registration for the horses and stables, and is responsible for inspections.

A spokeswoman on Friday declined to comment on the legislation, but said the agency has convened a horse advisory board to address horse health and safety issues in the city.

The board of members from the veterinary community, the horse carriage industry, the riding community and the public, met for the first time last week.

The Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages has long been campaigning for the city to shut down the stables and end the rides.

Avella said he has visited the stables on the west side of Manhattan, and described the conditions as small and cramped.

On Saturday, the Queens Democrat was to announce his legislation with the coalition and a number of animal rights activists, including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and television star Jo Anne Worley.

"The industry is inherently inhumane, and we feel that way because it denies a horse its most basic instincts," said Elizabeth Forel, president of the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages.
In September, an audit by the city's comptroller found that the horses work in an area without enough water spigots, shade or drains for their waste - and without enough oversight by authorities.

NIKV69
2007-12-08, 04:06 PM
As much as I think they are a piece of the city I can't but agree with this. Maybe if it was policed a bit better it may be able to remain but it does seem like the situation is getting worse.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-10, 09:28 AM
I myself don't understand the "The best way to fix the problem is to get rid of the entire thing altogether" stance that everyone seems to want to take these days.

How about solutions instead of an eraser?

Derf
2007-12-10, 10:30 AM
Solution cost money and regulation. I do agree with you Phil, I am with you!

Midnight Mike
2007-12-10, 10:45 AM
What really is the problem, "2" horses have died in two year, big deal..... What was the age of the horses? Health reasons?

As for animal neglect, that has been said of the horses since I was a kid living in New York. The horses makes people funny, why would they abuse their meal ticket?

"The industry is inherently inhumane, and we feel that way because it denies a horse its most basic instincts," said Elizabeth Forel, president of the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages.

A little bit of a radical statement here, "basic instincts", oh please......

NIKV69
2007-12-10, 11:51 PM
What really is the problem, "2" horses have died in two year, big deal..... What was the age of the horses? Health reasons?

Actually 3 or 4 people were also hurt by collisions. If I remember one of the horses that died collapsed and her driver whipped her to try to get her back up. Only the crownd internevtion stopped it. Which she died the next day anyway.

The heat in the summer, exhaust fumes. Increased traffic just make it a bad situation. I know they are a fixture but these solutions Phil speaks of will never happen. This is why local councilman is introducing this legislation.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-11, 06:59 AM
Isn't Tony Avella a QUEENS Councilman? What does he care about the horses anyway?

Midnight Mike
2007-12-11, 10:26 AM
Actually 3 or 4 people were also hurt by collisions. If I remember one of the horses that died collapsed and her driver whipped her to try to get her back up. Only the crownd intervention stopped it. Which she died the next day anyway.

The heat in the summer, exhaust fumes. Increased traffic just make it a bad situation. I know they are a fixture but these solutions Phil speaks of will never happen. This is why local councilman is introducing this legislation.

According to the news report:

In September, a horse died after it was spooked by street musicians with drums and bolted down Central Park South. It was the second such incident in less than two years.

Also, if there is a problem, start with the NYC Government, seems they are issuing licenses and not conducting any oversight:

The city has 220 licensed carriage horses, 293 certified drivers and 68 licensed carriages, said association spokeswoman Carolyn Daly, who noted all horses spend four months each year at a farm and are eventually retired to farms.

As for horses working in harsh climates, they are horses, what may be hot for a human, may not be hot for a horse. :wink:

There are other solutions, restrict the horse & buggies to certain areas:
Raise the license fee
Increase oversight
Come up with a 1-800 to report abuse

NIKV69
2007-12-12, 03:36 AM
Well I think what the councilman and animal rights groups are saying is that the enviorment has become unsafe for the horses. All the oversight raising fees are not going to change traffic and other things.

As for your solutions.

restrict the horse & buggies to certain areas:
How? Anywhere in Manhattan the horses will be close to humans and traffic.

Raise the license fee
Don't understand this one. It will just piss off the owners of these horses and really not do anything as to their care or the fact they are in a dangerous sitiation.

Increase oversight

Do you mean the ASPCA? They already monitor the horses in the summer to make sure they are not being operated when it's too hot. They can't babysit them all the time they have the whole city to deal with animal abuse. Someone would have call them if they see abuse.

Come up with a 1-800 to report abuse

Non-issue, someone can call 911 or the ASPCA

It's not an easy situtation. I would like to see them stay but I don't think we will get to a point where we won't have any accidents or deaths which is why they want to ban them.