PDA

View Full Version : A New Arrival Procedure at LGA ?

Speedbird1
2007-12-03, 09:35 AM
I was visiting the Botanical Garden last Wednesday in the Bronx. I noticed aircraft flying directly over the Bronx Park enroute to a 22 Arrival. I had believed that the normal procedure was to fly north along the Hudson past the Bronx and then turn eastbound over White Plains to join the line heading to 22. These aircraft were flying over Manhattan's westside then turning over the Bronx. Is that a standard arrival procedure or something new?

adam613
2007-12-03, 09:55 AM
That doesn't sound terribly unusual...I suspect he was either vectored for spacing or he just felt like making a tight turn to final...you can do that on a visual approach as long as you don't descend too early or violate any noise abatement procedures, as I understand things.

LGA777
2007-12-03, 09:33 PM
Speedbird1, you where in my "hood" as I live about 3 blocks from the Bronx Botantical Garden. When LGA is landing 22 and departing 13 how far north the inbounds make their right turn to 22 depends on the volume. I often see and hear exactly what you saw and heard last Wednesday during the early-mid morning and then again later in the evening, or anytime on Saturdays. During periods of heavier inbound traffic the aircraft turn right further north over Westchester County or even further. Keep in mind though if LGA is landing 22 but departing 31 its a completely different approach as they fly east of LGA and over Western Long Island, the sound, and even Conn.

Cheers

LGA777

Delta777LR
2007-12-03, 10:33 PM
Most of the times you will see planes fly directly over the mid the Bronx arriving towards runway 22 when traffic is not that heavy. Mostly early afternoon and in the evenings. or else all 22 arrivals fly over the Bronx from City Island to Soundview.

Heres an example from Soundview
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/sergair/002-1.jpg