PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking to Spot

jimzim66
2007-12-02, 03:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm James (call me Zim :) ) and I'm from Brick, NJ. I'm very active in photography, and have always wanted to to aviation photography but was always afraid to given the post-9/11 world. Then I stumbled across this site and gained new hope for getting out and adding planes to my portfolio.

The only spotting sites I've come across in my travels are, at EWR: the road coming out of Port Newark under the approach for 4L/4R and Hog Island Road at PHL for 9R/27L (and maybe 9L/27R) I've heard some stories about police at Hog Island Road given the proximity of the fuel tanks, and Port Newark is definitely NOT a place to stop with a camera.

So, if anyone could give any advice for a newbie, it would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Delta777LR
2007-12-03, 10:52 PM
From what I understand, Finding a place to spot for EWR is totaly not easy, Yes the Port Athority is very strict around the airport. I used to spot from terminal B and i was told not to take pictures from there and same from when i was Ikea. EWR is not the best airport to really spot. Thats as much as the information i can give you.

pgengler
2007-12-03, 11:57 PM
Hi James/Zim/Jim ... I think I recognize that name from the railroad.net forums. I've never spotted at PHL, but there's a pretty active spotting community around there (they have a forum too, here, I think (http://phlairline.com/chatter/)).

I'm not sure about EWR. There are a couple of members here who do some spotting there, and I've seen a couple of invitations to others to come spotting, but the general vibe I get is that spotting at EWR is a hit-and-run sort of affair. I'd love to be shown to be wrong, though; since I'm on the Jersey side of the Hudson, EWR is a lot more convenient for me to get to than LGA or JFK.

jimzim66
2007-12-04, 05:22 AM
Hey Phil! Yea, its me. I'm tired of the railroad.net forums. My 2 year old niece is more mature than some of the people there.

I figured EWR was out of the question, given the proximity to the Port. I know theres places at the South Area (or is it North?) where you could park but probably wouldnt be a good idea. I caught some commuter jets landing on 29 today (no major traffic landing as I drove by) and a CO 767 taking off 22L. Ugh, if only there were a place to go... I miss the days where my dad would take me to McGuire and wed sit under the ALSF2 for 6 and have C-5As buzzing over just hundreds of feet up. :(

markg
2007-12-04, 01:30 PM
Hi Zim,

I'm also from Brick, NJ.

Hog Island Rd in PHL is OK to take pictures from (at the moment!) They are threatening to put up no parking signs along there, but it might take a while!

EWR is not a good place for photography any more, unless you are with Senga (who does "shoot and scoot" photography there! I hear that Parking lot P6 is not too bad as long as you don't shoot towards the airport or Port Newark.

I might take a ride out somewhere this weekend, either LGA or PHL if you are interested in sharing a ride.

PM me or ask Phil D for my email. I'm not going to post it here, I get enough spam as it is!

Mark

jimzim66
2007-12-05, 12:06 AM
I think I read on phlairline or somewhere that a Philly lieutenant is a frequent member there, and while they plan to put up no parking signs, if you park on the side opposite the fence, they wont hassle you.

Ah, found it: The last paragraph (http://www.stevesairshow.com/spotting-phl.html)

Guess I better scoot and get out there soon, huh? :D

PHL Approach
2007-12-05, 02:58 AM
Wow, I'll be damned... of railroad.net fame as Phil mentioned - (Me=CP Wood). In regards to PHL, Yes we had befriended the Lt but he isn't a member or an aviation enthusiast. Then the Capt started giving problems, told officers at roll call every morning to make sure no spotters etc are there. Then he rescinded on that order, but they say it's just until the no parking signs up. Which just like in Philly politics fashion... has been close to 2 months now after they said they would be up. The rule amongst us had always been you'll be fine if you park on the opposite side of the fence as you mentioned.

Ed

Maybe if our paths cross down there I can finally get you those SEPTA signs (if you haven't acquired any yet) after all it's been close a year now since our talk about that. :wink:

jimzim66
2007-12-06, 01:08 AM
What a small world. I guess it's a rule if a person likes trains they're more likely to like planes as well. When do automobiles come into the picture? haha, lame I know.

I figured it would be hard to spot on Hog Island Rd., given the last time I was at Philly to pick up friends, I saw the police using beat up Ford Taurus's to issue summons to those who parked on the ramp to arrivals. I figured it would be hard to pack up and book it when a cop comes if you don't know what the cop is driving. I assume the majority of the law-abiding spotters don't get hassled much? Would be nice, I seriously need some aviation shots for my portfolio.

Ed, yes, I am still interested! :D