PDA

View Full Version : Favorite LGA Approach

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-25, 10:40 AM
Just curious...

PhilDernerJr
2007-11-25, 10:43 AM
What's the difference between River Visual and the Hudson River visual? River Visual is to rwy 13, but rwy 22 arrivals can also go over the river, though a little higher.

cancidas
2007-11-25, 03:12 PM
the approach to 22 is an LDA, landing directional aid. basically it's radar vectors from ATC to intercept the final approach portion of the ILS, though i'm under the impression that a visual to the runway is possible from that point.

the river visual to 13 is a visual approach. last time i flew it (5 or so years ago) you flew up the hudson river 'till central park is off your left beam. after a sharp right turn you just dive for the runway. definately fun to fly! i wouldn't be surprised if ATC expects you to intercept the localizer to coordinate the turn.

LGA777
2007-11-25, 03:37 PM
My favorite is a modified version of the Expressway visual used by inbounds from BOS/PVD/PWM/BTV/YUL and certain other airports that are NE of NYC, and sometimes flights from YYZ/BUF/ROC/SYR etc might use it as well. Basically you are fly southound to about Glen Cove. LI, then a right turn direct to LGA. You pass directly overhead LGA at about 3000 feet SW bound to right over the top of Manhattan. A further left turn but still SW bound till around the Statue of Liberty or maybe Staten Island all the while passing other inbounds on the Exp Visual that are NE Bound. Then a very hard 90 degree turn puts you in line for the Expressway visual to 31, or also a very similar version for Runway 4. Trust me folks this one is really fun !

Here is a so-so quality photo to demonstrate, although on that flight we landed on 4, but you'll get the idea !

[jetphotos:24f7f]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5631011[/jetphotos:24f7f]

Cheers

LGA777

Delta777LR
2007-11-25, 10:06 PM
Runway 22 and Runway 4s arrivals are my favorates. Im very used to the runway 22 arrivals since I live in the Bronx and got the perfect view of the arrivals.

hiss srq
2007-11-25, 10:14 PM
I am pretty big on the Expressway visual. In a CRJ100/200 I enjoy watching all the "inexperinced" passengers faces. It is pretty fun. Espesially on a less than calm day wind wise.

bonanzabucks
2007-11-26, 12:53 AM
Runway 4 landings because they used to fly over my old house when I lived in Jackson Heights.