PDA

View Full Version : New York LaGuardia's Runway 13...

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-25, 10:39 AM
I was wondering why runway 13 at LGA is rarely ever used? Is it because you can't fly over NYC anymore or because of the winds? Maybe ATC prefers other patterns to LGA?

PhilDernerJr
2007-11-25, 10:45 AM
They still do use it, just not as much. If they were allowed to fly over Manhattan, then they wouldn't EVER use it, as opposed to just sparingly.

I think that pattern might not work well with more commonly used approaches at the surrounding airports, which can affect runway usage. When you're going over the Hudson at 1,500 feet with EWR right on your left, it can easily interfere.

That might not be the main reason, but just my guess.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-11-25, 02:54 PM
My guess on why it's not used as often is winds... We rarely get winds strong enough out of the SE to justify using 13 for landings.

To add on to what Phil said, if the Visual Approach to 13 can't be used, I'm sure it creates traffic problems no only with EWR, but Teterboro and approach paths west of the city. If the winds are out of the SE, the EWR is using the 22s for landing. Add some not so great weather to that, and you could be setting yourself up for traffic issues...

cancidas
2007-11-25, 03:07 PM
depending on summer construction causing runway closures and the winds, there are periods where we're up and down 13 all day. usually that only happens on saturdays. i've also seen us switch to arriving 13 during some pretty bad thunderstorms, but that was only because the winds demanded it. i think they were upwards of 25 knots, between 100 and 150.

DHG750R
2007-12-05, 02:23 AM
There are certain runway configurations which allow better utilization of the space ( more movements per hour) also known as AAR or airport arrival rate. Land 22/ depart 13 offers the best capacity. Also runway configuration is also largely dependant on what TEB / EWR & JFK are doing , If the airport is IFR or VFR.

This information I got from FAA public website
RWY CONFIG IFR VFR
------------------------------------------
land 22 / depart 13 : 35-38 40
land 22 / depart 31 : 30 30
land 13 / depart 4 : 32-35 35
land 13 / depart 13 20 22

adam613
2007-12-05, 09:32 AM
What about land 31/depart 4? That seems to be an extremely common configuration (which I now know very well, living under the 225 radial...)

DHG750R
2007-12-05, 09:56 AM
sorry omitted some of the configs..

Here is the arrival rate for land 31 / depart 4

IFR is 35-38 / VFR is 40 similar to land 22 / depart 13

Speedbird1
2007-12-06, 01:04 PM
I can't recall LGA landing on Rwy 13, it's true. However, Rwy 13 is often used in the summer for departures. In fact, the US Tennis Association forced LGA and the City to sign an agreement not to allow departing aircraft to pass over the stadium during the 2 weeks in August during the US Open. An exception is made if there is an emergency. 13 departures must fly runway heading until well-past the stadiums or Rwy 22 is used for summer departures. Likewise, JFK rarely uses the ILS 13L Approach but for different reasons.

cancidas
2007-12-06, 02:21 PM
I can't recall LGA landing on Rwy 13, it's true. However, Rwy 13 is often used in the summer for departures. In fact, the US Tennis Association forced LGA and the City to sign an agreement not to allow departing aircraft to pass over the stadium during the 2 weeks in August during the US Open. An exception is made if there is an emergency. 13 departures must fly runway heading until well-past the stadiums or Rwy 22 is used for summer departures. Likewise, JFK rarely uses the ILS 13L Approach but for different reasons.

that time of year is the only time you will see straight-out departures from 13. 13 is not only used for summer departures, but for departing year-round. landing 22 and departing 13 is the most efficient combination. 22 departures normally happen during summer construction periods when 13/31 is closed, though it can be used for "heavy' departures because the climb is shallower than 13.

adam613
2007-12-06, 03:14 PM
that time of year is the only time you will see straight-out departures from 13. 13 is not only used for summer departures, but for departing year-round. landing 22 and departing 13 is the most efficient combination. 22 departures normally happen during summer construction periods when 13/31 is closed, though it can be used for "heavy' departures because the climb is shallower than 13.

Wow. I feel bad for Elmhurst and Jackson Heights residents when that happens!