PDA

View Full Version : Man Tasered After Refusing to Sign Ticket

Midnight Mike
2007-11-22, 11:25 AM
IMaMYL_shxc
(forward to 9:20)

The Cop was a little on the agressive, but, the how stupid was the guy. Sign the damn ticket & listen to the Police, turning your back on the Cop while he is holding a taser gun, priceless.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312466,00.html

Looks like white boy needs to watch this Chris Rock Video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fhq0NDkUViQ

T-Bird76
2007-11-22, 12:11 PM
That cop was totally out of line, in no way did he need to be tasered. He didn't turn his back he was trying to point out a sign to the officer and the officer overreacted. Someone like that should not be wearing a uniform, he probably won't be after this. While it probably would have just been easier to sign the ticket the officer turned this into a situation that's going to cause him allot of grief now. Although this is Utah so the cop prob isn't to bright, if you've ever been there I'd say Utah is the West Coast's version of West Virgina...

Midnight Mike
2007-11-22, 01:32 PM
That cop was totally out of line, in no way did he need to be tasered. He didn't turn his back he was trying to point out a sign to the officer and the officer overreacted. Someone like that should not be wearing a uniform, he probably won't be after this. While it probably would have just been easier to sign the ticket the officer turned this into a situation that's going to cause him allot of grief now. Although this is Utah so the cop prob isn't to bright, if you've ever been there I'd say Utah is the West Coast's version of West Virgina...

While I believe the Police Officer over-reacted, the driver shares some of the blame.... When the guy got out of the car, he walked right behind the cop, that put that agitated him. The driver clearly had no respect for the cop.....

"Turn around put his hands behind your back" (once)
"Turn around put his hands behind your back" (twice)
"Turn around put his hands behind your back" (third)
"Turn around" (fourth)

Back to the Cop, he did not explain that signing the ticket does not mean guilt.

So, while I would not use the word "wrong", the Cop over-reacted, due to the reaction of the driver.... Also, the driver did have a "I don't give a ship attitude" & was returning to his car for what? Weapon? Planning on Driving off?

T-Bird76
2007-11-22, 01:53 PM
I agree Mike but the blame I think remains with the officer. He lacked control of the situation from the second the driver got out of the car. When the officer asked him to step out he should have cuffed him then and there called for backup and then deal with the situation vs giving this guy the chance to do something stupid. I just don't see this reflecting well on this cop at all.

Tom_Turner
2007-11-22, 07:53 PM
Wow... he was going to be under arrest for not signing the ticket? I guess so.

I do have sympathy for the officer there, but then again, after the refusal to sign the ticket, first thing the cop says at that point is "okay, hop out of the car".... I suppose to arrest the driver, but then the cop turns his back on the driver to go back to the squad car to put his paperwork down?. That can hardly be the correct procedure can it?

The cop is so freaked out by the lack of cooperation, he is telling the perp to "turn around" when the guy is facing him still.

I doubt this guy is at all effective without a weapon.

PhilDernerJr
2007-11-22, 08:46 PM
I think the law in a few places is that if you don't sign the ticket, you get arrested.

The officer called the man to him, but even though the man was verbally resisting, the officer drew he taser WAY too early.

As for the guy, again, I don't know exactly how the law goes there, but you should do as he says and fight the ticket in court later.

Now, the man will make a good amount of money from their local government, and the officer will most likely lose his job.

All for a speeding ticket. A shame.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-11-25, 03:07 PM
This cop was way out of line in his actions... The guy had his back turned to the cop when he was tasered. Doesn't "cop 101" say something along the lines of you never ever shoot someone with their back turned to you? If you know me, I'm usually pro-law enforcement and will side with cops more times than not, but this incident seems inexcusable.

Along the lines of what Tommy said, Utah is a huge Wasteland. This is probably the most action this cop has seen in his whole career. Wouldn't surprise me if this happened along I-70 where there is literally nothing and no one for miles... Every time I've driven through Utah I couldn't wait to get out... Believe it or not, there is a little sign on I-70 just west of Grand Junction that says "No Services Next 150 miles". Missed that sign the first time I drove through there, and almost ran out of gas at 12AM. There really is a feeling of "weirdness" around you when you're in the state, especially at night.

Mellyrose
2007-11-26, 08:40 AM
Wow, I finally just got around to watching that. What a shame, the tyranny of the powerless. I feel bad that his wife had to see it. I think the cop should have at least tried to calm her down, since she was pregnant.

I think he was totally out of line from the start. The guy wasn't out resisting anything, he was calm and composed. I don't even know what to say - I can't believe officers get away with this ****.