PDA

View Full Version : Who said 16 year olds cant have back problems

stuart schechter
2007-11-21, 12:27 AM
I have to wear a brace until I stop growing. I'm currently 5'10" and supposed to be 6'2"
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z168/flyboy14295/IMG_3002.jpg

T-Bird76
2007-11-21, 09:03 AM
Oh man Stuart I'm so sorry to hear....or see that. Back problems are no joke and can be a real pain (literally). I had back surgery when I was a Sr. in HS, sports injury and I was laid up for a month. I hope it turns out ok for you.

mirrodie
2007-11-21, 10:07 AM
Stuart, is it scoliosis?

Been there. Been seeing my chiropractor, who, BTW, is a local pilot at FRG, since I was 15 years old.

I'm great now and in the gym, doing preventative maintenence.

nwafan20
2007-11-21, 10:10 AM
Yeah, i'm 15 and I have been going to a chiropractor since I was 6. My mom is big on preventing back problems (she has them)...

mirrodie
2007-11-21, 10:20 AM
That's good. Taking care of your chassis is huge.

Most health care is preventative maintenence.

Good luck.

NIKV69
2007-11-21, 10:25 AM
That looks like classic curvature of the spine so yea I would say it's scoliosis. Good luck. Hope the brace works for you.

mirrodie
2007-11-21, 10:46 AM
That looks like classic curvature of the spine so yea I would say it's scoliosis. Good luck. Hope the brace works for you.

Nick, I know how to read x-rays, and have the medical background to make diagnoses related t omy fied, but without being educated in chiropractic medicine, I can't make that diagnosis. And that is why I asked him instead of assuming.

So I am truly surprised you are able to diagnose it based on a singular x-ray. Have you tried to audition for a guest role on ER or House? :roll:

flyboy 28
2007-11-21, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear about that Stu. I just started going to the chiro about a month ago for "wellness". I was a bit skeptical at first, but it really is making me feel better (not tired, etc) and I can do a mile in 5:59 as opposed to 6:15 like I did before I started going.

NIKV69
2007-11-21, 12:03 PM
So I am truly surprised you are able to diagnose it based on a singular x-ray. Have you tried to audition for a guest role on ER or House?

Actually I have been taking night classes for chiropractic. Figured it would be a good way to get some extra income. I didn't want to tell anyone because I don't like the way "Dr. Vollaro" sounds. :mrgreen:

T-Bird76
2007-11-21, 01:02 PM
I'm not a Chiro fan and don't really consider them real Doctors...what medical diagnosis do they really diagnosis? I went to one for awhile and the lasting effects amounted to the drive home. Preventive back measures amount to proper posture, good lifting practices, a quality mattress, and exercises you can do on your own. If the human body wasn't meant to be twisted in all sorts of direction.

NIKV69
2007-11-21, 01:32 PM
Tommy I got to say I agree but 3 years ago I got into a minor car accident and had some back and neck pain. I went to therapy and tried chiro. I almost threw up watching people get their necks snapped and such but I gave the guy a chance and let him do it to me and it helped. I think their area of expertise is not nearly as vast as most MDs but yea they give you proper sleeping posistions, exercises. I would venture to say they are more therapists than doctors.

mirrodie
2007-11-21, 01:55 PM
Tom, depends on your experience.

About 4 years ago I ran into a back injury. I went to my primary with the presenting complaint.

His answer: "Do you want an Rx for Vicodin?" WTF?

Then was sent to an orthopedic. Surgery is the preferred choice.

Saw the Chiro, all better sans surgical intervention.

Actually, you'd be surprised the level of diagnostic training they have. You can't think of them as "not real doctors." They are an integral part of the team leading to your better health.

AirtrafficController
2007-11-21, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Sturart. I hope you get better. I also have back pain from heavy schoolbags.

stuart schechter
2007-11-21, 07:19 PM
OK, ARGUING...STOP!!! Yes, it is scoliosis, thank you all for your kindness. I just don't want to get my thread locked because of stupid arugments.

T-Bird76
2007-11-22, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear that Sturart. I hope you get better. I also have back pain from heavy schoolbags.

Luke think of it this way, you'll have a bad back but be really really smart. :lol:

mirrodie
2007-11-23, 11:30 AM
Stuart, you might want to loose your brace a bit. :wink:
It's a discussion, not an argument.

emshighway
2007-11-23, 01:01 PM
Stuart, good luck with your medical issues. You may want to look at an osteopath (DO) as opposed to a chiropractor. DOs are actual doctors as opposed to chiropractors.

My brother happens to be the foremost authority on manipulation. He was the associate chairman for the NY College of Osteopathic medicine and former president of the AOA (similar to the AMA). He has a private practice in Syosset.

He has helped me out greatly as I have had a few back issues (fractured vertebrae, torn ligaments and tendons).

PM me and I'll give you his info.

mirrodie
2007-11-23, 06:03 PM
emshgy, PM me his name. My brother is also a DO.

Chiropractors study wellness, MD's and DO's study pathologies.
All of the above receive doctoral degrees.

stuart schechter
2007-11-24, 01:25 AM
These were taken at an Osteopath. This was not a chiropractor.