PDA

View Full Version : Favorite NYC Airport

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-18, 01:51 PM
Take your pick.
Mine is LGA, since we're getting nonstop flights to LGA in February.
The question is directed toward airports that serve NYC with Scheduled Commerical Airline Service.

bonanzabucks
2007-11-18, 01:59 PM
It's JFK for me. JFK was the first airport I ever took-off from, so it holds a special place in my heart. Not to mention, the take-off and landing patterns from there are so cool! LGA would probably be number two for me, but not by that much.

nikon50bigma
2007-11-18, 02:19 PM
Hey FRG isn't up there.
So I guess I"ll go with JFK.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-18, 02:52 PM
Stewart Airport is being transformed into an NYC airport. It is operating under ownership of the Port Authority...that is why I designated it in such a way.
FRG is not up there because it does not have airline service.

cancidas
2007-11-18, 03:18 PM
FBF.

Iberia A340-600
2007-11-18, 03:55 PM
[MODERATOR NOTE: Quotation from another poster in this reply was deleted due to inappropriate use of profanity.]

know what you mean by not considering SWF a NYC Airport considering its distance from the rest of the NYC airports but it is part of the Port Authority. Again one could argue that Teterbero is also a Port Authority airport which doesn't mean sh*t since it is definitely not an NYC airport.

nikon50bigma
2007-11-18, 05:36 PM

True, but it does take a lot of charters and business flights.

Chris102
2007-11-18, 07:15 PM
I voted LGA because of the MD-80's and VP-BDJ :D (although I've never actually been to LGA before :lol: )

I think the only NYC airport I've ever been to is SWF. Although on my way into New York a few months ago, I did get a shot of a Fedex MD-11 approaching Newark and an S-76 approaching Teterboro (I was hoping it was 76DT, but it wasn't :x I think it was PAPD)

:lol:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/CDolan/FEDEX.jpg

hiss srq
2007-11-18, 08:39 PM
LaGuardia but I think we all knew I would say that anyways. :borat: :borat: :borat:

mirrodie
2007-11-18, 09:51 PM

WHich is why I am aksing you rephrase the question.

favorite in terms of what? Traveling out of? Or spotting/photography? The fact that you excluded FRG further drives my question :oops:

Gerard
2007-11-18, 10:11 PM
>FRG is not up there because it does not have airline service<

Well if I really want to nitpick there are only TWO NYC airports. The rest are out of the city.
Maybe you should have said "Tri-State Airports".
BTW FRG for me because of (course) the heavy helo traffic, corporate jets and lots of military
visitors AND only 20 minutes from my house.

Gerard
2007-11-18, 10:14 PM
> an S-76 approaching Teterboro (I was hoping it was 76DT, but it wasn't :x I think it was PAPD)<

You can usually tell if it was PAPD or even NJSPD 76 since they have the Nightsun and FLIR
hooked up and are light in color. And Trumps 76, well hard to miss with the big red TRUMP on
the side!! LOL!!

Gerard
2007-11-18, 10:21 PM
> And Trumps 76, well hard to miss with the big red TRUMP on
the side!! <

Uh make that WHITE Trump. I should know as I took a picture of it years ago.....
http://www.helispot.com/photo/0000685

Remember when he had the Super Puma?

moose135
2007-11-18, 11:26 PM
Wow, this thread careened out of control in a hurry :)

T-Bird76
2007-11-19, 02:02 AM
Well for me its ISP, simply because its so close to my house. Just an example I can leave my house at 2:30 get to the airport, check my bag, get cleared and be at the gate by 2:50, how can you beat that? However for most of my flights I have to say JFK over LGA.

RDU-JFK
2007-11-19, 09:20 AM
JFK by far!

Gerard
2007-11-19, 07:19 PM
>Well for me its ISP, simply because its so close to my house. <

Only 30 minutes from me also but I havent flown in awhile though my wife has used it. And bringing her to and
picking up is a lot easier than going into Queens.

Delta777LR
2007-11-19, 08:33 PM
I like JFK because of all the International airlines that fly there and I enjoy all the widebody jets there, mostly the 747s and 777s.

Tom_Turner
2007-11-20, 01:20 PM
Stewart Airport is being transformed into an NYC airport. It is operating under ownership of the Port Authority...that is why I designated it in such a way.

Well, there's always JRB, Downtown Wall Street Heliport, with scheduled "airline" service.. :D , but anyway, I have to say, I like all of our local airports. Having flown in and out of JFK/EWR/LGR and spotted at all of them in a friendlier time, they all have their charm and positive attributes. A lot of variables to consider there.

As a spotter, once you adjust your expectations to the traffic and viewing locations they're all enjoyable to me. Any airport is fine to me really. When I am at Farmingdale, I enjoy GA in a way I won't at LGA, when I am at TEB I enjoy the bizjets in ways I won't at JFK, at FRG, the helicopters in ways I probably would not at JFK, etc. If I had to choose, I suppose JFK offers the most variety over time, for a spotter. But the way I look at our region of the country, when you combine all the airports/heliports together, the museums, the airshows etc. there is *VERY LITTLE* that over time, we have not had at least the opportunity to see. And thats a blessing. It just about all comes to us.

Tom

MarkLawrence
2007-11-20, 01:33 PM
I have to say JFK for travelling in to (domestic travelling that is) - for me, the fares from FLL/PBI on jetBlue are far better than anything else I can get to any other. For convenience on international (to Europe that is), I would much prefer to go through EWR - and that is a two-fold reason - I much prefer Continental to Europe than anyone else (for US airlines), and I found EWR much easier to deal with as far as immigration and customs than JFK was - JFK was a mess - EWR was smooth.

moose135
2007-11-20, 06:43 PM
That's really well said, Tom. We have some of the most diverse spotting opportunities here in our own backyard. If you get bored spotting around here, you must not like aviation!

Chris102
2007-11-20, 07:41 PM
> And Trumps 76, well hard to miss with the big red TRUMP on
the side!! <

Uh make that WHITE Trump. I should know as I took a picture of it years ago.....
http://www.helispot.com/photo/0000685

Remember when he had the Super Puma?

I never saw the Super Puma - I've seen pictures of the Trump S-61 and CH-47, but not the Super Puma.

That's a great shot of 76DT!

Gerard
2007-11-21, 07:59 PM
>I never saw the Super Puma - I've seen pictures of the Trump S-61 and CH-47,<
I never saw the CH-47. Anyone have a picture?

>That's a great shot of 76DT!>

Thanks.

Chris102
2007-11-21, 11:08 PM
>I never saw the Super Puma - I've seen pictures of the Trump S-61 and CH-47,<
I never saw the CH-47. Anyone have a picture?

>That's a great shot of 76DT!>

Thanks.

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/opera ... 00x548.jpg (http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/operations/N225RA_Trump_700x548.jpg)

cancidas
2007-11-28, 05:46 PM
FBF.

i'd like to change that. had to check my logbook for the right identifier. NY22.

Gerard
2007-11-28, 07:33 PM
>http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/operations/N225RA_Trump_700x548.jpg<

Thanks. Did they ever fly here in NYC? I never saw them and believe me I was all over the
place back then.