PDA

View Full Version : Mystery helo over my house

flyboy 28
2007-11-10, 05:14 PM
I head a really low rumble and ran out too see an S-92. But what struck me was the colors, and then two minutes after, what looked like an S-76 with the same colors passed over, even lower. They were both flying west->east. Anyone have any idea what they're flying for?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/mysteryhelojt.jpg

Gerard
2007-11-10, 05:45 PM
[quote="flyboy 28"]I head a really low rumble and ran out too see an S-92. But what struck me was the colors, and then two minutes after, what looked like an S-76 with the same colors passed over, even lower. They were both flying west->east. Anyone have any idea what they're flying for?

Nice catch. No clue!! LOL!!

PHL Approach
2007-11-10, 06:03 PM
Looks like a Sea Stallion - the Pave Low was created off the Stallion. But it has more shape like a Stallion vs a Pave.

flyboy 28
2007-11-10, 06:06 PM
Did a bit of research over the last hour or so...

This may be my mystery ship.
[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0987759/L/[/airlinersAnd here's the S-76 I must have seen.
[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0515579/L/[/airlinersToo bad my pic wasn't in focus. :P

PHL Approach
2007-11-10, 07:17 PM
Oh wow, I can sort of see the yellow showing through now. Yea it's that S-92 no doubt. I thought it was military earlier since I didn't see the yellow.

EDIT: Wowwwww, Im a moron. I went back and re-read the thread starters post. Ha, so you knew what it was already. That's what happens when you get too MUCH sleep - your even more tired and don't read!

flyboy 28
2007-11-10, 11:06 PM
That's what happens when you get too MUCH sleep - your even more tired and don't read!

It happens. :wink: :)

Tom_Turner
2007-11-11, 12:06 PM
I think GE has both types, but they're not dark in color, so not them in this case I don't think.

That Helibus is a beast. Can't wait to catch a few at Manhattan's heliports...well the West Side and Wall Street; doubt they can fit on the East Side Heliport.

Tom

Gerard
2007-11-11, 09:51 PM
>This may be my mystery ship<

I'm not convinced. Your ships colors seem a different yellow.

flyboy 28
2007-11-11, 09:53 PM
>This may be my mystery ship<

I'm not convinced. Your ships colors seem a different yellow.

Keep in mind, it was dark when I took the pic and that shot is very underexposed.

Gerard
2007-11-11, 09:58 PM
>Keep in mind, it was dark when I took the pic and that shot is very underexposed=<

True. Also wondering what PHL ships doing up North.

Gerard
2007-11-11, 10:07 PM
>Keep in mind, it was dark when I took the pic and that shot is very underexposed=<

True. Also wondering what PHL ships doing up North.

Uh PHI.

Nick
2007-11-12, 02:57 PM
You know, you may have solved a mystery on my part also. I had been watching a helo similar in size to a CH-53 fly over my area regularly for the past two years, it's always too high for me to determine the color. It sounds like a '53. They entered the S-92 in the CSAR-X competition but sadly wasn't chosen. I know the HH-47 won't fit our hangar, not even close!

Gerard
2007-11-12, 08:22 PM
>I had been watching a helo similar in size to a CH-53 fly over my area regularly for the past two years, it's always too high for me to determine the color. It sounds like a '53. <

And Sikorsky is right up the road (so to speak) from LI.

Gerard
2007-11-12, 08:29 PM
OK I put out some feelers about these ships and one that makes sense is that these ships were transitioning from Keystone Helicopters in Pa. to the Sikorsky plant in Ct. He said they were likely green as in primer and if you look closely at the picture you definitely see
green especially in the front. Keystone has been assembling both the S92 & S76 under contract with Sikorsky.