PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Nov 1 & 2 (Fri & Sat). Need SST Info.

CX777
2007-10-29, 10:18 PM
Hello,
Will be spotting this Friday and Sat (took couple of days off) with a friend who is visiting JFK and DC area from Singapore. His name is Kwek and is a really good fellow and local WSSS spotter. If time permits do call me on my cell and we can spot together. Also wanted to know whats the current status of SST? I know its probably not on display till spring '08 but anyone knows location? or any remote possibility to get a decent shot? This is the same Concorde that flew with Singapore airlines and he would love to get a chance to see in person. I will have a car and will pick him up Thu evening @ EWR and will be staying at JFK area hotel for next 2 nights. He departs Sat evening on SQ 345.
Hope to run into few members on Sat for sure.
Raj

Iberia A340-600
2007-10-29, 10:45 PM
G-BOAD is currently parked at Floyd Bennett Field which is located about 17 minutes away from JFK:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g ... &z=12&om=1 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Floyd+Bennett+Field&daddr=JFK&sll=40.592774,-73.882971&sspn=0.032718,0.058365&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1)

I believe the aircraft is on public display.

I'll definitely shoot you a text or call if I'm free Saturday, it'd be great to see you again! :)

CX777
2007-10-29, 11:18 PM
Thanks Gordon for the info, will leave a 'surprise' for him and shoot over there for 1 hour on Fri or Sat. Let me know if you'd be interested we can go there Sat rather than Fri. And yes we'll definitely spot JFK on Sat, looking forward. WX is looking nice, minus the low temps.
Raj

moose135
2007-10-29, 11:41 PM
The Concorde is next to the "Aviators" sports facility, just follow the signs there. It is out in the open, however it does have a fence around it, so you can't get a "clean" photo, but as I recall, the fence mostly gets in the way of the landing gear and engines, the fuselage is high enough so you can get shots of it. I have pictures somewhere, if I find them in the next couple of days, I'll post a sample. They do have a stairway set up so you can get inside it (I think it costs a couple of dollars) but I've never been there when it was open, so I don't know what the schedule (if there is one) for that. I will probably be around Friday and/or Saturday, maybe we can get together.

adam613
2007-10-29, 11:45 PM
I'll be out one day this weekend giving the new camera a workout...most likely Saturday. Weather looks promising, but it's hard to tell this far in advance...praying for 220ish winds :)

Tom_Turner
2007-10-29, 11:58 PM
Concorde is there, at Floyd Bennett,

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/ConcordFloyd.jpg

but if your friend is interested, on Saturdays you can usually go into the HARP Hangar and see this one as well up close...

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0266186/L/[/airlinersTom

CX777
2007-10-30, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. My cell is 860-605-5020 and plan to spot early Fri AM, especially if 04s are in use. And Concorde looks like pointing North, so plan to take him early morning SAT so he can get low sun shots (correct me if my heading is wrong). And hopefully it will be less traffic on Belt on Sat. Thanks again,
Raj

jran225
2007-10-30, 12:56 AM
Tom, that Stratoliner (is that what it's called?) looks very impressive. Are there any plans to make it airworthy again?

Greets,
-Omar S.

moose135
2007-10-30, 01:07 AM
Tom, that Stratoliner (is that what it's called?) looks very impressive. Are there any plans to make it airworthy again?

Yes, that's a C-97, and they are working on making her flyable again. Actually, I think she was flown into FBF, and they are working on her in the hangar. She is owned by the same people (guy?) who own the C-54 Berlin Airlift aircraft out of Tom's River, NJ that has been making the airshow circuit the last year or two.

Steven Holzinger
2007-10-30, 09:56 AM
I will be out at JFK on Saturday with one of my friends and then hope to be out there Sunday afternoon as well (am going flying Sunday morning).

EDIT: Friday is actually November 2 and Saturday is the 3rd.

CX777
2007-10-30, 10:39 AM
Oops, we will be out Friday and Sat, 2nd and 3rd.
RC

mirrodie
2007-10-30, 11:22 AM
G-BOAD is pretty accessible. If you can, get there late at night too. It's serene and you can probably get a few nightshots.

I'll be due a trip there one of these nights.

JZ1
2007-10-30, 09:56 PM
Raj: do you guys plan to visit EWR? If so, I will join you.

CX777
2007-10-30, 11:09 PM
Jasong, not sure, most probably will be at JFK because he wants that traffic. However if plan changes will be sure to call you.
Raj