PDA

View Full Version : The Official SXM Spotting trip thread

T-Bird76
2007-10-26, 03:26 PM
Well many of us have talked for sometime now about doing a group trip to SXM. I was checking fares for the end of Feb and they aren't all too bad. B6 was 471 r/t with Tax and AA was about the same. I think I'm going to go ahead soon and book something but a group would be a lot of fun. The last time I was in SXM I didn't spot I drank most of the time and toured around. It’s a wonderful Island with lots to do and see. I'm looking to fly down the last Thursday in Feb and come home that Sunday or Monday morning. The sooner we discuss it the sooner all can agree on dates. I'd be willing to share a hotel room which would lower expenses for all.

mirrodie
2007-10-26, 03:55 PM
We've got a timeshare there for a 1 bedroom (sleeps up to four).

It can be used April 15 through december 2008. We were thinking of May or April but may not go at all this year.

Sorry, we are not going this Febuary but in the following year we'll go every Presidents day week.

I know that doesn't jibe with the dates you mention Tom, but if you are looking to save on the hotel end of it, I am offering this as an option for you guys.

If any of you have any interest, its $608 for the week, sat through sat, contact me.
Split the room 4 ways and you'll get the hotel for peanuts.

eric8669
2007-10-26, 03:58 PM
I am in on this one. The two times I have gone have been on my own. I was able to meet up with other Aviation groups, but going with a group from NYCA would be a great experience and alot of fun. I believe two bedroom suites at the Royal Islander Club are going for about $300. I would also be willing to share a room.

Eric

mirrodie
2007-10-26, 04:20 PM
Didnt' realize the rates were that high Eric. Cheapest I saw was $162/night

In any event, we're happy to pass the savings onto you guys.

T-Bird76
2007-10-26, 04:39 PM
Well Mario if you're willing to pass that on to us that's awesome! Hell split that between two people and you're making out like a bandit. Eric I'd be willing to go that route and stay for the entire week. If two other people want to join we'd further reduce the cost to $152 a person...you can't go wrong.. I've got reward miles on US I'll prob end up using. Mario lets talk more this weekend.

mirrodie
2007-10-26, 05:07 PM
Like I said, its our pleasure.

we'll talk.

INNflight
2007-10-27, 06:30 AM
I actually digged for fares the entire last two weeks (was planning to go in March), and found reasonable airfares, but accomodation is just absolutely expensive, so I replanned and might do LAX and some other places.

Of course if somebody finds a $100 a night room at Philipsburg I'd have to reconsider :wink:
Could I come with a tent and set it up on the beach? :borat:

CX777
2007-10-27, 09:56 AM
Sorry, will have to pass this one as I will be @ Asian Airshow that time, (trip planned 1 year ago). :(

Nonstop2AUH
2007-10-29, 06:05 PM
Not specifically for spotting, but for those of you who have been to St. Maarten (or St. Martin!) before, is there a resort hotel you would recommend there for a sort of management retreat/teambuilding event? I was there like 20 years ago at Mullet Bay, also remember a place called La Belle Creole, but not sure what the hot new places are these days. Any input most welcome!

INNflight
2007-11-13, 10:38 AM
Any update?
Fares (from good ol' Europe) are still looking OK, however I think I'd have to book soon.
A reasonable flight wouldn't be the problem (the cheapest fare would even route me through JFK...haha - overnight tho), but I'd very much like to share a room, as prices are high-season high.... that's why it is high season I guess.

I'd love to go, so keep this thread alive... :borat:

flyboy 28
2007-11-13, 12:47 PM
Looking ahead a bit, I'd be very down to tag along. If worst comes to worst, I can just sleep on the beach. No complaints. :)

stuart schechter
2007-11-13, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately, school interferes with this. Can't come

INNflight
2007-11-14, 07:53 AM
worst comes to worst, I can just sleep on the beach.

Woah I know a TON of people that'd beat one up for claiming that sleeping on a beach in the Caribbean is the worst-case scenario :borat:

flyboy 28
2007-11-14, 12:48 PM
worst comes to worst, I can just sleep on the beach.

Woah I know a TON of people that'd beat one up for claiming that sleeping on a beach in the Caribbean is the worst-case scenario :borat:

LOL I'd much rather share a bed with a semi-total stranger than sleep on some sand. :P

Matt Molnar
2007-11-27, 01:05 PM
JETBLUE SXM ON SALE!!! $99 EACH WAY!

Rules:
Buy before 11/30
Fly between Jan 17 and Feb 13 on Mon-Thu

Including tax it's about $290 round trip!

mirrodie
2007-11-27, 01:09 PM
That is a pretty good deal, wow.

let the fare wars begin! :twisted:

T-Bird76
2007-11-27, 01:12 PM
To bad the hotel rates are through the roof..I'm putting SXM off for now and doing SoCal in Feb now.

mirrodie
2007-11-27, 01:29 PM
Well,

as said,

$608 for a week in SXM at the hotel right near the runway.

For use April 2008 to Dec 2008. Just let me know. The offer is still valid and the room sleeps 4.

Matt Molnar
2007-11-27, 02:22 PM
The hotels aren't terrible, but it adds up if you stay more than a couple of nights. I don't know much about the area though. From what I can tell the best deal on a decent hotel on the Dutch side for the dates I looked at (end of Jan) is the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, $185 a night, with tax it adds up to $900 for 4 nights. How far is that from Maho Beach? I also found a place on the French side with a deal for $600.

INNflight
2007-11-27, 03:39 PM
Hotel fares are indeed ridiculous. Hopefully Maho Beach will be around for another couple of years.

adam613
2007-11-27, 03:44 PM
I'd be up for a SoCal trip in Feb...I want an excuse to fly Virgin America :)

What weekend are you going?

T-Bird76
2007-11-27, 05:05 PM
I'd be up for a SoCal trip in Feb...I want an excuse to fly Virgin America :)

What weekend are you going?

We'll be there from the night of the 20th to the morning of the 26th. Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn LAX/Elsugendo. I've rented a car to so anyone who would like to go and doesn't want to rent a car can just throw some money towards the rental and gas and I'd be happy to drive. Going to do other stuff to besides spotting. Florian has never been to Cali so I'm going to show him around a bit.