PDA

View Full Version : Going to KFLL for the day (Dec 9th) Pics added 12/19

T-Bird76
2007-10-25, 11:23 AM
On Dec 9th I'm flying down to FLL for the day to spot. I'm flying down on WN on the 6:45 AM flight and returning on the 7:05 PM flight. Fares are still pretty good and if anyone cares to join me it would be great to go down with a group. Mark I hope you're free that day, it would be great to meet up with you.

eric8669
2007-10-25, 12:11 PM
I might be available.

Eric

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-25, 01:12 PM
I'm up for this as well. Mel and I might actually go down there the day before to see some family, and spot on Sunday with the boys.

MarkLawrence
2007-10-25, 01:25 PM
I plan on taking the afternoon off and meeting up with Tom around 12 noon. I'll be able to get 4 in the car to go up to the public park at the take-off end of 9L. For anyone that does come down - spotting at the take-off end of 9L (of course assuming they are using 9L and not 27R), a 200mm will be great - for spotting on the car park - I'd recommend a 400mm for nice lift off shots.

[EDIT] - Duhhhh...blondie just realized 12/9 is a Sunday - no problem - will be good to see you all in FLL - no problem at all!!!

See you in December!

adam613
2007-10-25, 01:53 PM
Which airport are these WN flights from?

(I might like to get in on this, but it may be more worthwhile to save my time and money for SXM next year...)

T-Bird76
2007-10-25, 02:12 PM
Which airport are these WN flights from?

(I might like to get in on this, but it may be more worthwhile to save my time and money for SXM next year...)

ISP, but that doesn't mean one can't fly out of JFK and LGA and meet up.

kc2aqg
2007-10-25, 02:33 PM
I am liking this idea. I'll have to give this one some thought and see if I can make a weekend out of it...

hiss srq
2007-10-25, 04:42 PM
I am working on getting the day off. It would be a fun day.

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-25, 07:08 PM
I will probably be flying JetBlue down there.

Mellyrose
2007-10-25, 07:18 PM
*We. :wink:

SengaB
2007-10-25, 07:47 PM
interesting

MarkLawrence
2007-10-25, 07:52 PM
A Senga sighting
Maybe Senga might make an apperence.. :twisted:
orrrr

Everyone bring their Senga-scanners with them - we need to know of the approach!!! :borat:

MarkLawrence
2007-10-25, 07:54 PM
Hey Bill - get the day off and get one of your CO friends to jumpseat you down for the day!! :)

njgtr82
2007-10-25, 08:58 PM
Hey Bill - get the day off and get one of your CO friends to jumpseat you down for the day!! :)

Well Mark I wouldn't be able to jumpseat since I don't work for COA anymore but I'll check some fares and let you know.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-10-25, 11:40 PM
Might drive down there and what a b-day present since 12/10 is my b-day

HLF_B737-8K5
2007-10-26, 09:53 AM
Sounds great.

I 've done the same on February this year. LGA-FLL-LGA with Spirit for less than $ 90,- I spend aprox 11 hours on the roof of the parking lot and got a terrible sunburn! :-) Anyway.. the day was great and the photos were even better!
A nice mix of airlines and when they land from east side the backround is also nice.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-10-26, 10:27 AM
If anyone has directions to the spotting location you guys are going to set up in let me know

kc2aqg
2007-10-26, 10:54 AM
What time are you guys who have booked getting down to FLL? I will probably spend the weekend in RSW and drive over, but I'm curious as to when the events of the day will kick off...

MarkLawrence
2007-10-26, 11:10 AM
There are two points to spot at KFLL. The first is on top of the parking area - either terminal 1 or the Car Rental parking lot - both are good spots - close to the terminals. Runways are pretty good - a 300mm lends will do for that, but if you want lift off pics on 9L, I would recommend a 400mm lens. The second spot is just off the perimeter road at the landing end of runway 9L. A 200mm lens will do great here. There is a lot of road work there at the moment and closer to the time, I'll give everyone directions as to where the park is. I'll be coming down from Palm Beach, so, 45-60 mins drive.

Some people have asked before, but I'll clarify one point. As long as you are in the two spotting locations, Broward County Sheriff Dept are extremely friendly, will stop and chat - I've never been asked for ID. If you stop at locations other than those, they might get a little funny - I had one wave at me yesterday when I was outside Signature getting the NWA B742 - but I was parked in a public spot and walked to the location - he didn't seem to matter - parking illegally - they will probably come after you - but that's it.

T-Bird76
2007-10-26, 03:01 PM
The plan for Sunday is simple, get up early and spot from sun up to sun down. I'm flying down Sat afternoon now and will arrived about 4 PM. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn at FLL.

hiss srq
2007-10-26, 03:21 PM
Okay so it looks like I am going to fly down Sat. night on either B6 or NK and than come home on the same. I am going to look at cheapest fares later and than pick who etc Non rev is not a relable option for me.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-10-26, 06:50 PM
Well my trip to FLL has been cancelled. My wife got tickets to the Lightning/Islander game the night before for my Birthday so I will prob be too tired to drive down the following morning. Looking foreward to some other day maybe in TPA OR MCO.

Mellyrose
2007-10-26, 07:15 PM
We're gonna fly in the morning before to PBI and stay with family Saturday night. We just need to figure out the best way to get from Delray Beach to FLL in the morning. Come to think of it...I bet my grandma would drive us ;)

This is exciting! An "off-site" spotting outing. :D

NYARTCCFAN
2007-10-26, 07:47 PM
95 S. all the way

MarkLawrence
2007-10-26, 08:31 PM
Depending on timing Mel, I'd probably be able to pick you guys up again.

Mellyrose
2007-10-26, 09:25 PM
95 S. all the way

No, I know HOW to get there...I meant logistically, figuring out transportation.

Thanks anyway.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-10-26, 09:27 PM
sorry MY BAD

kc2aqg
2007-10-27, 03:58 PM
It's official, I will be there as well. Will fly down on DL and stay in Ft. Myers for Fri & Sat with a buddy of mine and then will either hitch a ride with him or will rent a car to drive to FLL on Sunday morning and fly back at 6:50 PM on DL. If we have more people coming than Mark can take in his car, let me know and I will rent the car so we can all get around (I can do it for relatively cheap).

eric8669
2007-10-31, 08:56 AM
My plans have been made.

Flying down on Jetblue Saturday Morning out of LGA, renting a car and heading down to spot MIA all day Saturday and Spot at FLL all day Sunday. Flying home early evening on us airways.

Eric

T-Bird76
2007-10-31, 03:25 PM
I'm to now going to FLL Sat morning, Eric and I are going to meet up and head down to MIA and spot there for the day.

kc2aqg
2007-10-31, 05:11 PM
I made a reservation for a Ford Mustang from Hertz for the day to drive from RSW over to and around FLL :twisted:
So I can carry a few people around the FLL spots as well. Have it until 6PM (flight home at 6:50)

"I feel the need...the need for speed!"

Iberia A340-600
2007-10-31, 06:35 PM
I'd be very interested in going as this would 1.) Give me a chance to finally fly out of SWF on either Air Tran or Jet Blue and 2.) Would give me a chance to finally spot at MIA.

Lets just see if I can swing my dad, fares aren't so bad.

SengaB
2007-10-31, 07:08 PM
Being that FLL has eveyrting you all already have I'm glad SOMEONE finally mentioned MIA...I thought you guys had lost your minds to go that far only for FLL.
Senga

stuart schechter
2007-10-31, 08:11 PM
I'm heading down the 24th through the 29th. Too bad we can't meet up. Maybe one of our resident FL guys can meet up with me.

adam613
2007-11-24, 08:36 PM
I'm not going to make it to this, because I have to come back to FL the last weekend in Dec and enough is enough :P

However, my brother got rather interested in plane-spotting when we went to FLL on Friday, and he wants to join y'all on the 9th if he can borrow or rent a long enough lens. Unlike me, he has both a DSLR and a car :) Can I give him someone's phone number so he can track down the crowd?

NYARTCCFAN
2007-11-29, 09:33 PM
Ok so the trip to FLL is back on since the prices of Hockey tickets here in Tampa are outrageous. This way I will be well rested for a 4 hour drive down to FLL.

PhilDernerJr
2007-11-29, 11:10 PM
Yes, this convo died down some. I hope people remember that it's next week!

NYARTCCFAN
2007-11-30, 01:23 PM
Ok so what time will the festivities begin and can someone kindly foreward me directions to the exact spot we will be using. I will be approaching from I-75 from RSW.

MarkLawrence
2007-11-30, 01:35 PM
There are two spots at KFLL - the first is on top of the Hibiscus Parking garage - follow the signs to the airport and take the lane for parking at the terminal 1 parking garage.

The second spot is View Park at the end of runway 9L/27R. For anyone that doesn't know the area, the easiest is to get to I-95 (I-595 from I-75 for the travelling people). From I-595, take I-95 south and take the Griffin Road exit. Head west (turn right) onto Griffin Road and head over the railroad tracks. At the next lights, turn right onto Ravenswood Rd. Continue up to the next light. Turn right and head over the bridge over I-95. Keep following that road until you hit a T junction. Turn left and you will be on the perimeter road. When it makes a 90 degree turn to the right, you are next to the Broward County Animal Control building. At the end of that building is a road to the right - take that and follow it and you will see the park. You are right next to the fence at the taxiway.

I use my 80mm-400mm in both spots, but a 200 will probably do at the View Park - they are landing and taxiing pretty close to you. A lot of people shoot the taxiing aircraft through the fence.

I will be coming down to FLL on Sunday morning - not exactly sure of the time yet, but anyone that wants, drop me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

Eddie.
2007-11-30, 06:53 PM
Just watch out with those ElAl cops at MIA guys. They aren't very freindly.

PHL Approach
2007-12-01, 12:37 AM
Just watch out with those ElAl cops at MIA guys. They aren't very freindly.

El Al cops, pfft... You think they're bad try dealing with BSO on the smallest issue.

SengaB
2007-12-01, 03:29 AM
They are basically the sole problem at MIA. They are usually out when ELAL has its movments around the airport and do not care if you can leagally be at the holes and if they see you there they will question you and may time make you leave. I personally have not had any encounters with them at MIA.

PHL Approach, What is BSO?
Senga

MarkLawrence
2007-12-01, 08:27 AM
BSO = Broward Sheriffs Office

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-01, 10:02 AM
Try dealing w/ElAl at EWR. Now that is an experience that if it doesn't make you feel violated in any way shape or form. Makes you feel like your freedom was raped from you.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-01, 10:06 AM
Having never encountered the ElAl police - what is the deal - if you are on public propoerty...what right do they have? Are they an accredited US Law Enforcement Agency or are the airline employed?

T-Bird76
2007-12-01, 10:49 AM
Eric and I land about 9:45 and should be at MIA at 11:30 we're thinking. Sunday morning will be a dawn to dusk spotting day at FLL. Mark would you recommend starting out at the garage or the spotting location?

Eddie.
2007-12-01, 11:36 AM
Eric and I land about 9:45 and should be at MIA at 11:30 we're thinking. Sunday morning will be a dawn to dusk spotting day at FLL. Mark would you recommend starting out at the garage or the spotting location?

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to meet up at the spotting location if you guys are there.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-01, 12:40 PM
A lot ois going to depend on the winds - if they are using 27R - I'd say the parking garage - if they are on 9L - I'd say the View Park is the best place to meet - we can actually walk around the fence to get direct on landing shots from there as well. I'll keep an eye on the weather and let everyone know.

SengaB
2007-12-01, 01:17 PM
Public Property or not to some it doesn't matter what you are on to some law enforcment, security. We all know that. Anytime ELAL security waves an uzie at you (ELAL) MIA after they see you taking pix...theres a problem. ELAL security has a reputation of operating like rouge encorcment. A few weeks ago they Kicked an associate of mine out of the Holes at MIA. As I said a few posts before he missed an aircraft because of this. Never mind the signs posted between ELAL security and the photog stating photography is authorized at this location.

Anyway lets take it back to the main topic at hand... The Trip to FLL, MIA.
If I go I will probably start off I will probably shoto at MIA all day. Might stop off at OFP early in the morning though.
Senga

Eddie.
2007-12-01, 01:26 PM
Public Property or not to some it doesn't matter what you are on to some law enforcment, security. We all know that. Anytime someone waves an uzie at you (ELAL) MIA after they see you taking pix...theres a problem. ELAL security has a reputation of operating like rouge encorcment. A few weeks ago they Kicked an associate of mine out of the Holes at MIA. As I said a few posts before he missed an aircraft because of this. The funny thing is after the ELAL enforcment left the regular cop that stopped by said..."Aw some back in 20 mins :)" They know how ELAL security operate.

Anyway lets take it back to the main topic at hand... The Trip to FLL, MIA.
If I go I will probably start off I will probably shoto at MIA all day. Might stop off at OFP early in the morning though.
Senga

Which would be what happened to me about a month ago today.

They where REAL hostile with us. Hell, the regular cop came screeching halt millimeters away from my cars front bumper, and then had us in his M16's ironsights.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

For godsake, I'm a 16 year old photographer!

SengaB
2007-12-01, 01:29 PM
What airport was that at eddie.?
The good thing about MIA is that when bad things like that happen you can just go and go about your day. Most people know about the holes and you are allowed to be there. The main problem is people calling in "suspictious activity" at the holes who don't know its a viewing spot. The cops come up and ask for ID but always leave without and problems.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?...Good one :)

Senga

Eddie.
2007-12-01, 01:30 PM
What airport was that at eddie.?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?...Good one :)

Senga

MIA at the holes. ElAl dude was on the other side of the fence in a black suburban, calling the cops on me. I was corteous with him to my knowledge. I waved as I do to anyone who drives by, the usually do the same!

But that day was crazy. I'm still pretty freaked out by the experience...I haven't gone back to MIA since.

SengaB
2007-12-01, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hear that..I hope that you would try again in the future. :/

Senga

MarkLawrence
2007-12-01, 01:53 PM
Anyone ever thought of calling the cops on ElAl security???... :borat: :borat:

Eddie.
2007-12-01, 02:43 PM
Anyone ever thought of calling the cops on ElAl security???... :borat: :borat:

lmfao, unfortunatley you can't at MIA. Since they're on the airport side of the fence.

It would be pretty funny if they weren't though.

"Hello, Miami-Dade Aviation Department? There is a suspicious looking black suburban parked next to me. He keeps on giving me nasty looks. His rear window probably has illegal tints. Oh...and I think he's middle eastern!"

:lol:

MarkLawrence
2007-12-01, 03:16 PM
:lol: :lol: And..I'm sure I saw a gun - I think they are armed!! :lol: :lol:

SengaB
2007-12-01, 03:19 PM
I'd love to see how that would play out :)
You know my first experience was like that.
I had a cop (Chicago O'hare) that was Sooooooo out of control..my first AND WORSE... 1996. He was yelling, screaming and cursing at me. He even was mocking and mimmicking me. Finally some other officers arrived and I begged them NOT to leave me with Officer King. They stayed there thank goodness. He didn't say anything else to me while they were there.
Senga

ChrisW
2007-12-01, 06:58 PM
Change of plans - I won't be attending.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-01, 09:00 PM
Chris silly string does not stop the average NY'er sad to say. It takes much much more to stop us. OOOOPPPPPPSSSS!!! forgot I live in Florida now days. :borat:

JZ1
2007-12-02, 07:03 PM
All: so far we are all talking about doing the spotting at FLL and possibly at MIA for Sunday Dec 9th only, right? Did I miss anything or are there anyone who plan to stay for more spotting Mon/Tue?

MarkLawrence
2007-12-02, 08:38 PM
MIA is on Saturday - FLL is set for Sunday - as far as I know, everyone is returning to NY on Sunday afternoon/evening.

T-Bird76
2007-12-03, 02:22 PM
MIA is on Saturday - FLL is set for Sunday - as far as I know, everyone is returning to NY on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Yes that is correct Mark. I however now have biz in West Palm Beach the week of the 10th so once the sun sets and I drop the gang off at FLL I'll be waiting for my coworkers to arrive and off we'll go to West Palm for a week.

kc2aqg
2007-12-03, 03:12 PM
Just to confirm, my buddy (who's never been spotting before but is huge into photography) and I will be driving over from Naples on Sunday morning and should get there between 9 and 10. We'll spot the whole day and I'm going back to JFK on DL1710 at 6:50 PM. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Wish I could join you for the MIA spotting, but will probably be enjoying boat drinks on the other side of the state...

Eddie.
2007-12-03, 05:57 PM
I should be at FLL between 10-11

If Im not mistaken Skybus arrives at 1030.

adam613
2007-12-03, 06:31 PM
10-11 is a bad time for light at FLL apparently...that's when my brother and I were there, and all of my shots were washed out.

Speaking of my brother, he's going to try to catch up with y'all for a few hours in the afternoon if he has time (and can borrow or cheaply rent a 200mm Canon lens). Like Andy's friend, he's quite a photographer but a little new to this plane-spotting thing, and I told him you guys are all much better photographers than I am. He has Andy and Eric's phone numbers. So if you see some guy who looks kinda like me (except he isn't losing his hair), help him get some good pics :)

MarkLawrence
2007-12-03, 07:31 PM
I've done a lot between 10 and 11 - it's not always a washout - Shybus is there at that time - quite a lot of movements from around 9:30am - around 3pm. I was there at lunchtime today - winds were out of the west - using 27R today - I'm keeping an eye on the weather for the rest of the week.....

Eddie.
2007-12-03, 09:08 PM
Adam-I know what you mean. It's quite editable though.

Mark-Same here. Right now the outlook is pretty nice.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-04, 06:45 PM
May do the MIA spotting on Saturday since I have seen and flew into FLL before but not MIA and have to scope out the Childrens Hosp of Miami for Christopher later next year. Where would the spotting for Miami be located at ?

MarkLawrence
2007-12-04, 07:56 PM
Looking at the long range forecast, it looks like both Saturday for MIA (80 degress and sunny) and Sunday for FLL (78 degrees and sunny) are going to be stunning days. Judging by the forecast, winds will be right for 9L arrivals/departures at FLL on Sunday so I think the view park will be the best place to meet. I was there at lunchtime today - it was a stunning day! For those of you that want to get the new Spirit colors - there are more and more planes in the new color scheme - I counted 6 today - all A319's - I don't think there is an A321 in new colors yet - but, I might be wrong on that.

Eddie.
2007-12-04, 10:02 PM
NYARTCC-Exit SR826 at 25th street. And drive East until you reach the railroad tracks. Once past them you are very near the spotting location. Continue straight ahead until you find a small building that is US Homeland Security. Right next to it are holes in a fence.

Voila...spotting location.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-05, 07:41 PM
Next to homeland security ?????? Thats a bit chanchy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anybody else spotting at MIA on Sat ? If I leave at 8 or so I probably will get there around Noon-1 PM. Any other areas to spot at MIA without or little chance of being questioned??? I wont have a camera on hand but my Scanner and a bunch of charts and my trusy American Express Skyguide to let me know where the flights are coming from.

Eddie.
2007-12-05, 10:24 PM
Next to homeland security ?????? Thats a bit chanchy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anybody else spotting at MIA on Sat ? If I leave at 8 or so I probably will get there around Noon-1 PM. Any other areas to spot at MIA without or little chance of being questioned??? I wont have a camera on hand but my Scanner and a bunch of charts and my trusy American Express Skyguide to let me know where the flights are coming from.

Like I said before. Getting questioned and probably roughed up is inevitable now that ElAl flys to MIA.

I dont recommend MIA for the time being.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-07, 12:05 AM
Really where will the meetup at MIA be at ?? Secondly is everyone going to be there that is going to FLL as well on Sunday ?

eric8669
2007-12-07, 09:54 AM
NYARTCC-Exit SR826 at 25th street. And drive East until you reach the railroad tracks. Once past them you are very near the spotting location. Continue straight ahead until you find a small building that is US Homeland Security. Right next to it are holes in a fence.

Voila...spotting location.

This is where we will be meeting on saturday. This is a legal spotting location. The Holes are there for the photographers. Myself and Tommy will be arriving sometime around 11AM.

Eric

MarkLawrence
2007-12-07, 10:25 AM
I won't be at MIA, but will be at FLL on Sunday - I plan on getting to the viewing park at around 9:30-9:45am on Sunday morning...

eric8669
2007-12-07, 12:41 PM
For those of us spotting MIA on Saturday, AeroGal Aerolineas Galapagos will be making their inaugural flight into Miami. Flight arrival is scheduled for 2:30 PM.

Aircraft is either a 737-200 or 727

https://www.aerogal.com

lijk604
2007-12-07, 04:37 PM
I wish you all great light.

adam613
2007-12-07, 04:55 PM
The weather is looking beautiful this weekend, by South Florida standards...temps in the 80s, partly cloudy, dewpoints below 70, winds favoring the 9s...

Have fun!

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-07, 11:50 PM
Excited to see you folks!

ChrisW
2007-12-07, 11:51 PM
Update: I'll be arriving FLL Sunday on DL 1818, the 767-400ER arriving at approx. 10:08 am.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-08, 12:23 AM
Update: I'll be arriving FLL Sunday on DL 1818, the 767-400ER arriving at approx. 10:08 am.

Well...will have to try and get a shot of that arrival then!!

JZ1
2007-12-08, 08:55 AM
Just a question, if I continue to take pictures at the holes at night with a tripod, would I get into trouble?

Iberia A340-600
2007-12-08, 10:06 AM
Hope you all have a great trip and I certainly can't wait to see pics!

Eddie.
2007-12-08, 11:15 AM
Looking forward to see all of you. I'll probably be in a grey USAF tshirt and shorts. Temps might get pretty warm.

JZ1:you will DEFINATLEY get in trouble. They usually want everyone out by sundown.

T-Bird76
2007-12-08, 09:03 PM
Well Eric and I had a FANTASTIC day at MIA!! Holly $hit!!! We basically began the day with a classic 732 and ended the day with a classic 732. Awesome day, I can't share any pics though until I return next weekend as I'll be down here in Florida for work all week. But man really a great day, below is a list of some of the highlites.

Sky King 732
Santa Barbra 757
Aero Sul 757
Aerolinas Gal 732
N88ZL 707
Panamain Regi DHL 727s (two of them)
Cayman 732 (common but new to me)
Bahamasair 732

Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow! :)

Eddie.
2007-12-09, 09:29 AM
I'll be heading to FLL in an hour or two... see you guys there!

NYARTCCFAN
2007-12-09, 06:27 PM
It was great meeting up w/you guy's. Just got back home from the long drive. Hope to host a Tampa spotting event in the future.

adam613
2007-12-09, 08:04 PM
Pics!!!

CX777
2007-12-09, 08:20 PM
Agree...lets have some FL pics

Eddie.
2007-12-09, 08:27 PM
It was great meeting all of you, and I look forward to doing it again sometime. Here are some of my pics.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2358/2099210892_32e0867aab.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2098431871_42c2bf9c5a.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/2098432077_17e2b637af.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/2099213840_0dfc957fe1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2099218280_55c1796fc3.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/2099224608_d091995f13.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2098450299_cbf7cec888.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2098469477_eac25c88d6.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2098474797_039bde7c49.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/2099260714_cda26634af.jpg

For mroe shots in higher resolutions, visit my flickR photostream. http://www.flickr.com/photos/marrerophotosolutions

adam613
2007-12-09, 09:04 PM
Yay!

My brother is sorry he couldn't come out...he had too much to do today.

jran225
2007-12-09, 09:30 PM
Nice pics, Eddie! Looks like you guys really lucked out with the weather. :D

Greets,
-Omar S.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-09, 09:37 PM
It really was a great day! Really nice to meet up with everyone! My pics I haven't had a chance to edit yet - will get to them probably tomorrow - but - great catches of the day were the Primaris B752 with Constellation colors, the Transat A310 and A333 both with Santa hats on the name, Avianca B762 - there were a lot of Southwest - not one special color scheme and a lot of Spirit - white A321, grey A319s and A321s and some new color schemes.

Eddie.
2007-12-09, 09:46 PM
Mark-

DAL NC didn't come like I hoped it would, but the second I pulled out of the parking lot I was caught off guard by a DAL 763 in the transition colors.

T-Bird76
2007-12-09, 10:38 PM
Well it was truly fantastic to meet everyone! I just remembered we didn't do a group photo :( Anyway it was alot of fun today and I'm looking forward to it again!

eric8669
2007-12-10, 10:11 AM
It was a great two days. Great to see everybody! Good Weather and alot of interesting aircraft.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-10, 10:15 AM
It really was a great time. It's always fun when you get to hang out with your local friends in other cities.

We also met several new friends and got to see some older ones as well, such as our good friend Mark Lawrence.

The planes were great. This place gets a lot of unique stuff, and the views and light are fantastic. I was not expecting it to be so good.

Great hanging with you guys!

ChrisW
2007-12-10, 12:07 PM
Likewise, it was great to finally meet people in person. On a side note, on top of the Constellation 757 and Avianca 767, we caught another FLL rarity - the first CO 737-900 with winglets (N30401)!

adam613
2007-12-10, 12:13 PM
Where did you guys spot from? That location with FLL Tower blaring from a loudspeaker?

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-10, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that's where we were.

Chris, when did that 739 come in!? I was hoping for that and apparently missed it!

ChrisW
2007-12-10, 12:20 PM
I didn't photograph its arrival but Tommy, Eric, and I caught it departing around 3:00 pm.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-10, 12:36 PM
I'm wondering if that was the one where we thought it was a -800 and it actually was a -900 - we thought that one looked really big for a -800!

LGA777
2007-12-10, 12:51 PM
That C0 -900W has only been in service 4-5 days I think ? Very lucky catch. And the Avianca 767 is not normal, isn't scheduled to be a 757 ? Glad everybody had fun and wish I could have joined you !

Cheers

LGA777

Eddie.
2007-12-10, 06:24 PM
That C0 -900W has only been in service 4-5 days I think ? Very lucky catch. And the Avianca 767 is not normal, isn't scheduled to be a 757 ? Glad everybody had fun and wish I could have joined you !

Cheers

LGA777

At first look when it overflew the field I thought it was a 757, as thats the regular equipment. It was nice getting the 762 though. Shame it wasn't Juan Valdez colors. But oh well, beggars cant be choosers.

tipek
2007-12-10, 06:30 PM
Avianca 767-200 at FLL is daily.

Rafal

MarkLawrence
2007-12-10, 09:18 PM
That must be a later flight Rafal - the normal afternoon flight is a B752 - I see it almost every day from the office..

tipek
2007-12-10, 09:32 PM
I don't know what time it arrives but when I was there it departed everyday around 5pm.

Rafal

INNflight
2007-12-11, 08:14 AM
Awesome images so far....sunshine and some rare planes (if even for you guys, think about how I'd freak out :mrgreen: ), and the clouds are just fantastic!

Can't wait to see more shots!

Eddie.
2007-12-11, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see some more shots, besides the ones I took.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-11, 09:54 PM
I would, too, Eddie! My monitor is not all that good for editing, so I'm saving all of my photos until I get a new one.

eric8669
2007-12-11, 10:16 PM
Ok, Here are some I have edited so far.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n39297_Continental_737_fll_120907a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n742pa_Primaris_757_fll_120907a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n506nk_Spirit_a319_fll_120907a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n190jb_jetblue_e190_fll_120907a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/ei-cfz_Avianca_md80_mia_120807a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n928an_AA_737_mia_120807_1a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/hp-1510dae_dhl_727_mia_120807a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/hc-cer_AeroGal_737_mia_120807_1a.jpg

Eddie.
2007-12-11, 10:37 PM
Eric, those are some amazing shots.

What software do you guys use for postproduction?

adam613
2007-12-11, 10:37 PM
Great stuff, Eric! I like the skyline shot best.

AirtrafficController
2007-12-11, 10:53 PM
Wow great job Eric!

moose135
2007-12-11, 11:36 PM
Great shots, Eric! I love the one with the two AA 737s!

CX777
2007-12-11, 11:46 PM
Now were R talking.... :D Would have loved to be there except cant take days off due to big trip coming.
Again, great job guys, enjoyed the FL coverage.
Raj

INNflight
2007-12-12, 05:36 AM
Awesome set of images Eddie! Wow!

Alex T
2007-12-12, 04:12 PM
Good Shots!

When I flew out of FLL 2 weeks ago or so, I was amazed at the mass amount of AA planes there, it WAS like another Hub type haha.

I think I saw 1 757, and 2 AA 738 on the ground at FLL taxing around, pretty sweet!

Alex

eric8669
2007-12-12, 11:28 PM
Here is the 737-900 w/winglets
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n30401_Continental_737_fll_120907a.jpg

And a couple more..
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/c-gkts_AirTransit_a330_fll_120907a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/6y-jmr_airjamaica_a321_fll_120907a.jpg

MarkLawrence
2007-12-12, 11:46 PM
Nice catch of the -900 Eric!!! Wish I'd caught it on landing now!

SengaB
2007-12-12, 11:54 PM
Nice shots photogzzz :)

Senga

ChrisW
2007-12-13, 01:48 AM
A few of mine:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2001/2107203151_f3e5c56c3b.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2340/2107978160_5e3204fb81.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/2107203093_e8f7d657b1.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2332/2107977544_4189d9527f.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2107202643_a87c9601af.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2080/2107202251_dd2bd3fa94.jpg?v=0

More at my FLL Flickr photoset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlaviatio ... 443847322/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlaviation/sets/72157603443847322/)

T-Bird76
2007-12-13, 09:54 AM
Guys great shots! Its killing me I haven't been able to edit mine yet. I think this weekend I'll be spending sometime on Photoshop.

ChrisW
2007-12-13, 01:53 PM
We caught another rare bird, N550WN, one of the ex-Air Sahara birds now flying with Southwest:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/2108359254_1063924b61.jpg?v=0

kc2aqg
2007-12-15, 05:11 PM
I haven't had a chance to edit any of my photos, not that everyone doesn't hasn't seen the highlights anyway. My catches of the day were the Constellation 752, Air Transat A310 & A330, Avianca 762, and the Spirit New Colors, and most of all, it was awesome to meet up with such great people.

I know Phil mentioned the fact that we didn't get a group picture, but I spoke with my buddy (the brown guy who just didn't get what the fuss was all about - what's up with that?!?) and he took a few photos of us...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/MD80MadDog/FLL%20Spotting%2012-09-2007/Airplane_people3.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/MD80MadDog/FLL%20Spotting%2012-09-2007/Airplane_people2.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/MD80MadDog/FLL%20Spotting%2012-09-2007/Airplane_people1.jpg

In the interest of self-loathing, I have to laugh at the picture with me, Eric and Chris W. Who do you think has the superior camera equipment? :P

ChrisW
2007-12-15, 05:20 PM
Wow, thanks for those photos! Mind if I use them as an avatar? :-)

Eddie.
2007-12-15, 09:40 PM
those shots of the group where taken seconds before I got there. lol.

Hope to meet up in JFK during the winter break :borat:

mirrodie
2007-12-15, 10:49 PM
Great shots everyone.

Were you guys in Florida? I couldn't tell with all the jeans ;) :mrgreen:

kc2aqg
2007-12-16, 03:09 AM
Ouch Mario! Well you know what they say, you can take the boy out of New York...

Chris - sure you can use it as an avatar, no problem at all.

moose135
2007-12-16, 05:51 PM
Great shots everyone. Looks like you had a great time, I hope to make it on the next one of these trips.

SengaB
2007-12-16, 11:16 PM
Nice shots there... The people shots are cool too :)
Way to go Team!

Senga

T-Bird76
2007-12-20, 12:15 AM
I finally got around to editing some of my shots.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/AA_Airbus_1_MIA_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Avianca_767_MIA_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Bahamasair_732_1_MIA_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/DHL_727_Cargo_MIA_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/AeroGal_732_MIA_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/AirTransat_A310_FLL_120907.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Bahamasair_DASH8_FLL_120807.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/CO_738_DEP_FLL_120907.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Skybus_FLL_120907.jpg

CX777
2007-12-20, 01:10 AM
Wow some great shots indeed from everyone...

h2opunk1822
2007-12-20, 02:55 AM
Awesome shots guys.. Makes me miss living down there more and more.. I see the Viewing area is back open!!.. Right before i left it was closed.. is the speaker still there so you can listen to the tower??

MarkLawrence
2007-12-20, 10:49 AM
is the speaker still there so you can listen to the tower??

Yes - it's still there.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-20, 12:34 PM
Great shots Tom!!!

Praying for the clouds to lift a little at KFLL today....two very interesting arrivals due at lunch time

NASA Northrop Talon - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA923
Sky King B732 - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SGB326

MarkLawrence
2007-12-20, 02:43 PM
Well....the clouds never lifted, the Talon was early, the Sky King was delayed and it rained - at least I got to see my first Delta B763 in new colorscheme...

http://www.tavustheman.com/images/B763-N134DL-KFLL-12202007.jpg

adam613
2007-12-20, 02:49 PM
Is it me, or does the 767 have a lot of dead space in the new Delta scheme? I know all of Delta's 767s (except Habitat) are mostly white, but this one seems more mostly white than the others...

(Nice shot though! The clouds probably improved the lighting situation...)

SengaB
2007-12-20, 05:25 PM
Nice shot Mark. I wish we have some rain up here grrrrr
Senga

stuart schechter
2007-12-21, 01:28 PM
Is it me, or does the 767 have a lot of dead space in the new Delta scheme? I know all of Delta's 767s (except Habitat) are mostly white, but this one seems more mostly white than the others...

Hence why most of us hate the new paint. I just think the blue drops off towards the front of the plane too much and leaves too much dead air between the windows and the blue.

T-Bird76
2007-12-21, 05:00 PM

Hence why most of us hate the new paint. I just think the blue drops off towards the front of the plane too much and leaves too much dead air between the windows and the blue.

The reason you are seeing so much white now vs. lots of color is cost. Cost as in first off painting the plane and then the cost of fuel it takes to keep a plane cool sitting on a taxiway in 95 degree heat. White reflexes the sun while the darker colors absorb it making the A/C's work harder hence the increase in fuel consumption. I do agree a bit more blue would have been nice or even a simple cheatline.

ChrisW
2007-12-21, 07:15 PM
For the record, all of us don't hate the new scheme.

njgtr82
2007-12-21, 07:27 PM
For the record, all of us don't hate the new scheme.

I agree, I like it better then the last 2 thats for sure.

stuart schechter
2007-12-21, 08:49 PM
Hence why most of us hate the new paint. Sorry, I should have said some of us.

Mark or anyone in the FLL area, what garage is the Hibiscus garage(directions to it) and is the spotting area on the roof good for the morning?

MarkLawrence
2007-12-21, 10:33 PM
It is the garage at terminal 1 - go straight out of the terminal, over to the garage - take the elevator to the 7th floor - and presto - you are there. Morning - I'm not too sure - I think you will get a lot of backlit if they are landing on 27R in the morning. If you are getting take off shots from 9L, I think you will be ok - I tend to shoot there at lunchtime or early afternoon and then you have to be careful of backlit, toplit and overexposure as well - but - it is a great spot to get some shots.

INNflight
2007-12-22, 03:43 PM
Where's Tommy's hat?!? :|

Great pictures Tom....so much rare traffic from the lower Americas...makes me want to go to MIA.