PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bases/airfields in southern Florida?

HLF_B737-8K5
2007-10-23, 01:32 PM
Dear all,

after I got so much help from your side to plan my trip to NYC in February this year (thanks to all for that!) I need you help once more again:

Now I plan a trip to MIA area next year I'd like to know if there are any other interesting bases, airfields "boneyards" etc in the area except FLL and Opa Locka. I'm intersted also in military aviation. How is the Key West airbase for example? I heard much about Pensacola but the fares for flights aren't cheap so I would prefer to take a car and "drive around".

Thanks in advance for any help!

rgds

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-10-26, 12:52 PM
There is a small but ineresting museum at Tamiani Airport south of Miami. They have the other CAG F-14 from VF-31. This used to be part of the Kermit Weeks collection until he consolidated his aircraft further North.

Homestead AFB is a bit further South on the way to Key West, but I would highly advise to stay away from that area. Not spotter friendly at all with "No photography" signs plastered all over the place. They wouldm't even let me take a picture of the F-4 gate guard outside the perimeter.

Key West is quite an active airbase, I would suggest contacting their PAO in advance to see if you can at least get on base to visit the airpark. Difficult to spot close to the base because it's right on highway, but just North of the base there is a bridge section from the old railroad that you can fish off and if the wind is right and you have at least a 400mm you can do OK. I would make the trip to Key West regardless.

Next time you plan a trip to Florida for aviation go with the pan handle. Hulbert Field & USAF Special Operations Museum, Pensacola & National Museum of Naval Aviation, Eglin AFB & USAF Armament Museum, Fort Rucker (200+ Apaches on the Tarmac is quite impressive!) & the US Army Aviation Museum and Tyndall AFB will keep ytou busy for a week.

Enjoy your trip and if you have any other questions feel free to drop me a PM.

njgtr82
2007-10-26, 01:05 PM
Next time you plan a trip to Florida for aviation go with the pan handle. Hulbert Field & USAF Special Operations Museum, Pensacola & National Museum of Naval Aviation, Eglin AFB & USAF Armament Museum, Fort Rucker (200+ Apaches on the Tarmac is quite impressive!) & the US Army Aviation Museum and Tyndall AFB will keep ytou busy for a week.

don't forget NAS Pensacola with the Blue Angels and lots of trainers

Gerard
2007-10-26, 06:26 PM
>Fort Rucker (200+ Apaches on the Tarmac is quite impressive!)<

Sure is BUT Fort Rucker is in the great state of Alabama NOT Florida.

moose135
2007-10-26, 06:29 PM
>Fort Rucker (200+ Apaches on the Tarmac is quite impressive!)<

Sure is BUT Fort Rucker is in the great state of Alabama NOT Florida.

Yes, but it's not that far (relatively speaking) from Eglin and Pensacola.

Gerard
2007-10-26, 06:32 PM
>Yes, but it's not that far (relatively speaking) from Eglin and Pensacola<

Hey dont be talking about my relatives!!! :lol: