PDA

View Full Version : KSYR Spotting

Bellucciman
2007-10-12, 02:38 PM
I'm headed to Syracuse, NY this weekend and may have time on Sunday to stop at Syracuse-Hancock. Does anyone know of any good spots?

Thanks

Mike

markg
2007-10-12, 02:53 PM
There's a viewing area as you drive into the terminal area. Everything turns off the runway at that point or continues past and then taxis back.

SmAlbany
2007-10-12, 04:25 PM
There's a viewing area as you drive into the terminal area. Everything turns off the runway at that point or continues past and then taxis back.

Yes, I've used that observation area as well. It's not bad. You need to stand on the picnic tables that are there in order to shoot over top of the fences. The other nice touch for that parking area is that they pipe ATC over a low power radio station - you can save the batteries on your scanner.

I've also tried from the top level of the parking garage. Not bad but you need better than 200mm (which is all I had at the time)

The main problem with both of these areas is that the main runway is 10-28 and the observation area is North of the runway. You can only really shoot there early AM or late PM or else you will be backlit.

Have fun!
Dan

BDLGUY
2007-10-12, 05:46 PM
Yes, I've used that observation area as well. It's not bad. You need to stand on the picnic tables that are there in order to shoot over top of the fences. The other nice touch for that parking area is that they pipe ATC over a low power radio station - you can save the batteries on your scanner.

Can you give me the direction for the observation area in SYR? I have relatives live in the Rochester area.

Thanks a lot! :borat:
John

markg
2007-10-12, 07:55 PM
John,

Just follow signs for the terminal, and as you approach the terminal there is a parking lot with picnic tables.

You can't miss it, because you either drive through it or round it!

Bellucciman
2007-10-15, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, however I wasn't able to take in any spotting this past weekend. The weather was nice but lots of clouds and there really wasn't much traffic out there. A few RJ's here and there but nothing spectacular. I spent Saturday in the Dome drinking beer before/during and after SU got their butts kicked by Rutgers. So needless to say, no spotting on Sunday! It was a great time being with some good friends in beautiful CNY!

SmAlbany
2007-10-16, 09:24 AM
I just happened to be in Cazenovia on Saturday afternoon (about 20 miles SE of SYR). I was at a soccer game and a 757 with winglets flew over the field at a few thousand feet. Strange, I thought. After I got home, I looked it up on flightaware and it appeared to be a Continental charter from EWR. My guess is that it was to take the Rutgers football team home.

It would appear that the most interesting traffic was there while you were at the game!