PDA

View Full Version : RAW

nwafan20
2007-10-08, 08:55 PM
Well guys,

I just worked with RAW yesterday for the first time. I have a few questions on processing RAW photos.

1. Other than your exposure and White balance settings, what settings do you use? Perticularly the sharpen and color noise reduction? But overall, what are your settings?

2. I noticed that with RAW I got a lot more grain, what is up with that?

nwafan20
2007-10-09, 05:14 PM
...Anyone?

pgengler
2007-10-09, 11:16 PM
I rotate/crop the image, make some minor changes to the exposure, a little bit of sharpening (the default; it's "capture sharpening" rather than "output sharpening"), play around with contrast/vibrance/clarity, and "retouch" out the obvious dust spots all in Adobe Camera Raw. (Which is to say, I do nearly all of the work in ACR.) I just use Photoshop to equalize the photo and get rid of the less-obvious dust spots and final sharpening.

nwafan20
2007-10-10, 10:47 AM
I rotate/crop the image, make some minor changes to the exposure, a little bit of sharpening (the default; it's "capture sharpening" rather than "output sharpening"), play around with contrast/vibrance/clarity, and "retouch" out the obvious dust spots all in Adobe Camera Raw. (Which is to say, I do nearly all of the work in ACR.) I just use Photoshop to equalize the photo and get rid of the less-obvious dust spots and final sharpening.

Ok, thanks Phil! How much sharpening do you do in ACR? do you do any of the noise reduction? Again, thanks for your reply.

pgengler
2007-10-10, 10:56 AM
Ok, thanks Phil! How much sharpening do you do in ACR? do you do any of the noise reduction? Again, thanks for your reply.

I don't really actively add any sharpening in ACR; it opens up with a default of (I think) amount = 25, though this might be changed in Camera Raw 4.1/4.2 because there were a bunch of features changed and a lot more stuff added (radius, masking, etc). I haven't really tried any of the noise reduction, though I have used the CA fixes on occasion. I may give the new sharpening features a try time; the more I can get done in ACR the better.