PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop logo job

nwafan20
2007-10-04, 12:32 AM
I threw this together in Photoshop tonight. It's a logo for our churches Youth Group (named Reality). Our churches slogan is "Real. Christian. People." so its also playing off of that.

Tell me what you think. I haven't done too much non photo editing work in Photoshop so I am rather new at it. What do you guys like, what do you dislike, what can be improved?

Thanks.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/Reality.jpg

wunaladreamin
2007-10-05, 07:14 PM
I think it looks really good. Great cropping job around the eye. I also love the colors and the detail you caught in the eye itself. Good job bro. :borat:

Mellyrose
2007-10-05, 07:45 PM
I like it....it's very clean and I think you did a great job.

If you want a more "microscopic" in-depth crit, this is what I would suggest:

Tone down the gradient on the bottom words. I like the depth you've created in "Reality" and the gradient is making it a touch too busy and bright. Perhaps you can reduce the opacity of the overlay (that's what you used, right?)

You did great work with the eye as well. The only thing I see as a challenge is using a photo in applications of a logo. It doesn't always work and you might come to a few roadblocks with it....

That said....if you're intent on keeping the eye, I would also change the color of the blue in the gradient overlay to more closely match the teal in the eye and pull the logo together and make it look integral.

Also, make sure (with the ruler tool) that all of those horizantal lines are lined up where they should be. I might be wrong but they look to be a few pixels off.

Just my opinions :)

emshighway
2007-10-05, 08:08 PM
Looks great but if you are going to use it as letterhead or on clothing you may want to cut down on the number of colors. More colors equals more expense at printers.

Mellyrose
2007-10-05, 10:33 PM
Looks great but if you are going to use it as letterhead or on clothing you may want to cut down on the number of colors. More colors equals more expense at printers.

Once you're have more than one color it doesn't really matter b/c it needs to be processed as a 4 color job. I think it needs to be cut down in colors just for visual purposes.

nwafan20
2007-10-06, 12:51 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice guys.

It's not going to be used on clothing, just as a display over a projector and in slide shows, etc.

It pretty much was just practice for me since this is a temp logo anyway because my youth pastor insists on hiring our IT guy to design a logo.... Hmph!

But anyway, yeah. I think it is a bit to busy, and that is a good idea to match the color of the eye with the sub-title. and Yeah, I think the lines are off a few pixels, I will have to fix that.

Thanks for the feedback guys

nwafan20
2007-10-06, 01:14 AM
Alright, I updated the logo. Heres what I did

I aligned the lines, there were 2 that were off 1 pixel each.
I used the color sample tool and got a sample of the colors in the eye, and chose one that looked the best.
I used that color to do "Real. Christian. Youth."
I then took the gradient almost all the way out, makes it less "busy"
I also reduced the drop shadow on the sub-title to create a smoother look.
I then reduced the opacity of the eye down to 95% so the titles could be read easier.
I slipped the eye in closer to the words to make a tighter look.

Here is the updated version, any better? (Before/After

BEFORE:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/Reality.jpg

AFTER:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/Reality1024.jpg

Mellyrose
2007-10-06, 08:53 AM
I think it looks much better...there's just a little jagged edge on the right side of the 2nd horizantal line - what's that?

Good job! :)

stuart schechter
2007-10-06, 08:54 AM
I think the black lines look a bit harsh, but that may be just me. I was thinking if you could have the line go from black on the right and dissipate toward the eye. Also the bottom most line appears to be the only one with a shadow.

emshighway
2007-10-06, 09:49 AM

Once you're have more than one color it doesn't really matter b/c it needs to be processed as a 4 color job. I think it needs to be cut down in colors just for visual purposes.

You have to do four color process for printing but if you were going to do silk screen or embroidery, shades in color become an additional color. I have designed numerous logos (using Corel Draw) for shirts and this is something you need to keep in mind.

nwafan20
2007-10-06, 01:34 PM
there's just a little jagged edge on the right side of the 2nd horizantal line - what's that?

My bad, I will fix that.

I think the black lines look a bit harsh, but that may be just me. I was thinking if you could have the line go from black on the right and dissipate toward the eye. Also the bottom most line appears to be the only one with a shadow.

Didn't even notice that shadow, I will take care of it.

I will mess around with the lines and see if I can get anything different.