PDA

View Full Version : USAF Airbus A330-203? ( Real Pic Included)

N790SW
2007-09-25, 10:17 PM
Hey Guys:

I stumbled across this picture on jp-net

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6071528

What does the Air Force have planed for this plane? I am surprised they are actually going to airbus, as I heard of the whole Boeing 767 tanker deal? Is this the firs time USAF has done this? Any more info is appreciated!!!

**** ALSO PLEASE NO AIRBUS vs BOEING DRAMA!!!*******

Andy B
2007-09-25, 10:27 PM
Here you go!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A330_MRTT

T-Bird76
2007-09-25, 11:00 PM
This has got to be a test plane to demo to the USAF...I don't recall the USAF making any official orders to Airbus for the product. In-fact when I was in Seattle I saw the 767 Tanker being made ready for delivery. I'm not big on my tax dollars going to pay for a European plane in the USAF...

moose135
2007-09-25, 11:06 PM
It's just a demonstrator from Airbus. The contract for the new tanker hasn't been awarded yet - that is supposed to happen by the end of the year. I guess Airbus felt they needed some hardware to show to the USAF. There's not much risk on their part - if the contract goes to Boeing, Airbus can use this for another A330 tanker customer.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-09-26, 06:05 AM
No contract for anyone yet, but word on the street is that it'll go to Boeing..

Boeing's been taking out full page ads in the AF Times, and has littered a lot of AF publications with 767 ads. Granted, these aren't official AF publications, but they still do mean something...

JZ1
2007-09-26, 07:54 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what indicates this plane is for the USAF?

stuart schechter
2007-09-26, 08:23 AM
The registration...

JZ1
2007-09-26, 09:12 AM
Hmm...N0671, all I can tell it's an US registration. What makes you think it's for USAF? And F-WWKU is simply an Airbus house registration. Is the N0671 registration reserved for USAF planes? I am still not clear.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-26, 10:20 AM
The remarks to the photo also referenced its specific role. He could be wrong ,but that's why we're discussing it here.

Nycfly75
2007-09-26, 11:25 AM
This has got to be a test plane to demo to the USAF...I don't recall the USAF making any official orders to Airbus for the product. In-fact when I was in Seattle I saw the 767 Tanker being made ready for delivery. I'm not big on my tax dollars going to pay for a European plane in the USAF...

I have no problem having my tax dollars being used to buy European products. I would want my money to be used in the most productive way possible. In a number of cases the European (or Japanese) product could be a better product, but in this case its not and Boeing should get the order.

T-Bird76
2007-09-26, 11:34 AM

I have no problem having my tax dollars being used to buy European products. I would want my money to be used in the most productive way possible. In a number of cases the European (or Japanese) product could be a better product, but in this case its not and Boeing should get the order.

I would find it very disappointing that an American aircraft design wasn't superior to a European design, in this case the 767 is the best way to go. However even if the A330 was better I would expect the USAF to go back to Boeing and require them to meet the demands of the military. I believe our military and Gov't should only be using U.S Contractors for our major defense needs, its puts money in our pockets, ensures Americans get new jobs and keep old ones, and lastly reaffirms our desire to produce only the best offensive, defensive, and support equipment in the world. Let France fly the A330 refueler not the United States.

N790SW
2007-09-26, 03:55 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what indicates this plane is for the USAF?

JZ1:

Read the quote from the comment on this picture:

First flight for A330 MRTT USAF

Why not operate both the 767 and KC-30? heck they are currently doing that with the KC-10 as well?

T-Bird76
2007-09-26, 04:00 PM
The comment is wrong and might be changed by JP.net. As some here have stated the plane is NOT destined for the USAF and is owned by Airbus.