PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowded Heathrow Pins Hopes on Terminal 5

Matt Molnar
2007-09-25, 11:25 AM
Overcrowded Heathrow Pins Hopes on Terminal 5 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/business/worldbusiness/25heathrow.html?ex=1348372800&en=f7c3ad269cf7447e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

By JULIA WERDIGIER
Published: September 25, 2007

LONDON, Sept. 24 — Both British Airways and Heathrow Airport in London have a lot riding on the new Terminal 5 when it opens on March 27.

The airport, one of the busiest in the world, has been running at overcapacity for years. And travelers, angry at the long security lines, flight delays and baggage problems, have been flocking to smaller regional airports like Stansted and Luton and using more budget airlines. Because Heathrow serves as the hub for British Airways, that carrier has been most affected by the airport’s shortcomings.

Terminal 5 is not only supposed to alleviate many of those problems. Its bright and airy design and retail outlets from stores like Prada and Tiffany and a restaurant run by a Michelin-star chef are also expected to lure passengers. More... (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/business/worldbusiness/25heathrow.html?ex=1348372800&en=f7c3ad269cf7447e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

stuart schechter
2007-09-25, 08:19 PM
It basically looks like a total overhaul of a much needed, run-down airport. Im glad that they are trying to make flying enjoyable by putting shops in, but the insight that you will want to come to the airport early and shop and eat, I think is a little over the top. Flying is flying, and waiting at an airport to shop? I don't think that would be enjoyable.

bonanzabucks
2007-09-26, 10:53 PM
Heathrow needs more runways. I know it's difficult to build more because of its surroundings and the lengthy process it takes to get things done in the UK, but that's the main problem with congestion there. Until they build another runway (and they probably need another two), another terminal isn't going to make that much of a difference.