PDA

View Full Version : 9.6Gs at Air Race

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-23, 11:17 AM
I have to say I never paid much attention to air races, and I can't get over the maneuverability of these things.

This guy in this clips pulls a record 9.6Gs!!!

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Fjsc90364[/youtubeHow does he not pass out?

cancidas
2007-09-23, 11:24 AM
g-suit?

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-23, 11:30 AM
My understanding is that a g-suit doesn't make you immune, and 9 sounds like a lot more than average for even a fighter, no?

moose135
2007-09-23, 11:44 AM
My understanding is that a g-suit doesn't make you immune, and 9 sounds like a lot more than average for even a fighter, no?

Yeah, that's a ton of g's :D

You're right, a g-suit helps, but there are a number of things that you need to do when you pull g's. You need to do one of several "straining" maneuvers (clenching your leg & abdomen muscles) which gets you a couple of g's worth of protection. The suit gives you a couple more. Certainly, the physical condition you are in plays a big part, and short, stocky guys tend to do better as well. But 9+ g's is more than most fighters pull on a routine basis. One of the reasons the F-16 has a semi-reclined seat is to help with g-load tolerance (it also allows for a smaller canopy) and I think 9 g's is about the most those guys pull. Most I've pulled was 6+ in a T-38.

Idlewild
2007-09-24, 04:01 PM
You guys should attend Reno. Great stuff. Especially the Unlimited.

Nick
2007-09-26, 06:05 PM
Yeah, the Viper is a 9G jet, loaded or not. Try that in your F14, which had G limitations toward the end of their careers. Probably due in no large part to the strain of carrier landings.