PDA

View Full Version : "New York 7?"

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-22, 05:14 PM
Who is New York Seven? Heard it on JFK tower today.

I assume perhaps an NYPD helo?

I also assume it's not...

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0691225/L/[/airliners

hiss srq
2007-09-22, 05:18 PM
Probably state police aircraft or a state owned aircraft.

lijk604
2007-09-22, 08:20 PM
N407MR - Bell helo out of FRG. Usually does sightseeing flights around the city.
When I worked at FRG, I used to see him takeoff every day from HGR 43.
Being we had to monitor tower in the office, I can surely state that's him.

cancidas
2007-09-22, 09:56 PM
why would he announce as "new york?" what's the state police use?

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-22, 09:59 PM
It sounded like a chopper just hangin out around Queens. The JFK controller was saying to him along the lines of "If you wanna stay around here, ok, if not, you are clear to..."

Gerard
2007-09-23, 02:18 AM
>N407MR - Bell helo out of FRG. Usually does sightseeing flights around the city.
When I worked at FRG, I used to see him takeoff every day from HGR 43.
Being we had to monitor tower in the office, I can surely state that's him<

Yup. NY Helicopter out of FRG. There is a NY 8 also. Back in the day NY 7 & 8 were S-58Ts
operated by Island/NY Helicopter (not the same company) and used for the airport shuttle
similiar to what US Helicopter is doing now. Both are older model JetRangers.
NYPD uses the call sign "Tower PD 12" etc while Nassau and Suffolk will use "Nassau PD 6 or
Suffolk 3" or vice versa. All the NY State PD ships N #s end in "November Yankee" and they
usually dont ID themselves as law enforcement ships. Same with NJ State PD who are all
"November Juliet". With them you get a lot of "Lifeguard Five November Juliet" as they fly
numerous air medical missions.

cancidas
2007-09-23, 02:42 PM
i've heard suffolk PD call themselves "Sugar-Pop" over the radio, but they also don't ID as law.

Mateo
2007-09-23, 08:10 PM
The NYSP's official callsign is "Greyrider," which I've heard them use on the King Air. I've never seen or heard any of the helos, though.

SmAlbany
2007-09-24, 08:43 AM
The NYSP's official callsign is "Greyrider," which I've heard them use on the King Air. I've never seen or heard any of the helos, though.

The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.

Gerard
2007-09-24, 06:00 PM
>The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.<

Interesting. Down here in the NYC area they usually just use their N # as an identifier.

SmAlbany
2007-09-25, 08:23 AM
>The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.<

Interesting. Down here in the NYC area they usually just use their N # as an identifier.

That was also the case here up until a few years ago. They used to use the reg. # N**SP or N**NY. It's only been the past few years that they started using the greyrider call sign.

lijk604
2007-09-25, 08:32 AM

I believe it works like this:
Empty/Ferry legs - use tail number (ie: N850NY, etc.)
Passenger legs - use Greyrider callsign.

Gerard
2007-09-25, 07:50 PM
>I believe it works like this:
Empty/Ferry legs - use tail number (ie: N850NY, etc.)
Passenger legs - use Greyrider callsign.[/quote]<

I've seen them land with the Gov on board and they've used the N # and not Greyrider. Maybe they
only use that in the Albany area? And when they fly EMS do they use "Lifeguard GreyRider"?

DHG750R
2007-09-25, 10:44 PM
Could this be New York helicopter callsign from the old New York Helicopter formerly New York Airways callsign of the 60's thru the 90's ?

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0406234/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1054466/L/[/airliners:100e6]

http://www.newyorkhelicopter.com/index.html

Gerard
2007-09-26, 08:36 PM
>Could this be New York helicopter callsign from the old New York Helicopter formerly New York Airways callsign of the 60's thru the 90's ? <

Actually the NY Helicopter Dauphins were used by Liberty/NY Helicopter back in the late 70s/80s. I took my brother
for a sightseeing flight in the late 70s for his birthday and we flew in one of Dauphins. It was a nice comfortable ride.
How this new company got to use the NY7, NY8 call sign is unknown to me. And GREAT shot of the retired Dauphin sitting in France!! Wow!!
That NY Airways S-61 was a regular service to the airports and was not affiliated with NY/Island Helicopters. They
were a combo of Pan Am and NY Airways. Sadly in may 1977 while idling and loading on the roof of the Pan Am building
a landing gear buckled and the main rotors sliced to death 4 on the roof and one woman in the street. 13 others were
injured. The copter wound up on its side.
BTW the Pan Am building is now the Met Life Building over Grand Central station.