PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Chickens To Iraq

Gerard
2007-09-22, 12:33 PM
Well after YEARS and YEARS of work and flight testing the V-22 Osprey will finally get its chance
to show the world what they are made of.
Last Monday the first combat squadron of V-22 Ospreys from the Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron
263 left the New River Air Station aboard the USS Wasp for deployment in Iraq. The squadron of
10 Ospreys and 20 pilots (and roughly 200 Marines)will be stationed at the Al-Asad Air Base 100 miles west a Baghdad and used to ferry troops, supplies and cargo.
The squadron is dubbed "The Thunder Chickens" and this deployment will be a HUGE TEST for their
operational capabilities in a combaT zone.
I would guess that once they arrive and go airborne we will see lots of media attention to this unit.
Godspeed to these brave men and women.

flyboy 28
2007-09-22, 12:48 PM
I know the Osprey had a rough beginning, but I had been under the impression it was in operational service for a few years now.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-09-22, 01:25 PM
We had a few flyover and land at the Academy last year...

The one that landed, landed on this large grass area we have in between all buildings, and had to clear a 4 story building while landing. While it was cool, that thing looked so unstable (there wasn't too much wind), but the pilots put it down right where they were supposed to, so I guess it was just a normal landing...

A really cool plane, but I wouldn't want to fly them...

cancidas
2007-09-22, 01:48 PM
i just can't help but feel a lot of anxiety when talking about this thing. it's one of those creations that flies only because it's so ugly the earth itself repels it.

Nick
2007-09-22, 02:30 PM
Yeah, it's replacing the Pave Low for the AF as well, hope it works.

njgtr82
2007-09-22, 04:32 PM
I went to Iraq with this squadron, HMM-263(REIN) as part of the 24TH MEU in 2004 and still know a few of the guys in the squadron. Best of luck to them.

Gerard
2007-09-22, 04:52 PM
>i just can't help but feel a lot of anxiety when talking about this thing. it's one of those creations that flies only because it's so ugly the earth itself repels it.<

There must be a ton of anxiety with the Pentagon and everyone involved with the program for this deployment.
I think it is a VERY cool hybrid aircraft and I hope (and pray) it goes well. If it does the V-22 will be become a
big player in military aviation.