PDA

View Full Version : Felix 101 Leaving Farmingdale

Derf
2007-09-17, 10:30 AM
Felix was telling us from day one, what day she was leaving

1 0 1 is leaving on
1 0/1 The first of October
She will be taken out at night pulled by a tug with the two tails in place to Bethpage where she will be prepped for display.

http://fromtheflightdeck.com/temp/NYCA/F-14/IMG_6385_3_4sm.jpg

cancidas
2007-09-17, 11:06 AM
that's gonna take a while, but i can't think of a better resting place. anyone going to be there for this?

Derf
2007-09-17, 11:26 AM
I will try to be there :wink:

moose135
2007-09-17, 01:33 PM
I just may have to show up for that one too. :D

nikon50bigma
2007-09-17, 04:13 PM
I still think 101 should stay there.
It was a nice addition to the AAM's aircraft.

GrummanFan
2007-09-17, 07:10 PM
I still think 101 should stay there.
It was a nice addition to the AAM's aircraft.

That would be nice, but don't forget it was Grumman who pulled the strings (and probably paid the money) to get 101 to fly here in the first place. If they didn't do that, I wouldn't have had the honor of seeing the LAST EVER F-14 to fly, so as far as I'm concerned, they can put it wherever they want. I look forward to taking several night shots of her atop her pedestal in the snow when I return from school.

nikon50bigma
2007-09-17, 08:47 PM
Is the Bethpage area where 101 is going to be, is it just like a park where the old factory used to be?

Gerard
2007-09-17, 11:02 PM
Is the Bethpage area where 101 is going to be, is it just like a park where the old factory used to be?

Grumman still has a facilty there though most of the area is an industrial park except of course the
NCPD facilty where NCPD Air Bureau hangars.

GrummanFan
2007-09-21, 09:54 PM
I heard some talk (ie, emails with the museum) that it will not actually be moving on the 1st, and there really hasn't been a set date for the move. Any changes to this date/information?

Derf
2007-09-22, 01:29 PM
Yes, there were changes.... The October 1st date is no longer going to happen. There is a lot more to it and I do not have all the details...will post later

T-Bird76
2007-09-22, 02:29 PM
Ok you can flame me but I think Grumman is being very selfish and short sighted. The AAM is an ideal place to have the F-14 vs some Corp building where I bet the majority of the ppl weren't even at Grumman when the F14 was built.

Nick
2007-09-22, 02:42 PM
If Grumman doesn't have any Turkeys on display, I'd think they deserve at least one.

Derf
2007-09-22, 03:08 PM
Bethpage is where the F-14 was designed... they are the ones that brokered the deal to get the F-14. They also had one put at Calverton, where ALL F-14's finished assembly. I do not think it is selfish, it is what they wanted, so THEY got one. If the AAM wanted an F-14, Grumman stated they would do what ever they could to help.

I do not want them to get a black eye over this Tomcat as they have done nothing but help the AAM in the first place. Grumman decided to keep it at FRG when they could have had it moved immediately to Bethpage so they could work on prepping it.

I do not want to see it leave, but it never belonged at FRG in the first place. I hope the AAM jumps on the opportunity of getting one because they really stepped up the scrapping of the Tomcats... one a day is long past, they are really going very fast!!!

Getting one for the AAM is still possible, but getting harder with every passing hour... I give it a few months before it will not be possible anymore.

h2opunk1822
2007-09-22, 08:42 PM
well i work for sheltair now in FRG.. and i mentioned it to a few people.. and noone knows anything about it moving.. but if i hear anything i would def spread the word.. but i have to agree.. there is no better place to have a shrine to felix then over at Grumman!.. AAM is good.. but it just seems that everyday there is noone there when im working.. so if they close.. in reality what would happen to her??.. I think something like the thing that have at 3C8 would be amazing in bethpage!