PDA

View Full Version : What If Wile You Were Spotting- You Witnesed A Plane Acciden

N790SW
2007-09-15, 08:40 PM
Hey Guys:

As a group of plane spotters witnessed last week, as a SAS DH8 crashed, they got it on film and I am sure on camera as well. Well since most of us here are spotters, what if that happened to you. Sorry If this sounds like a stupid question but IMHO it brings up a good point, as you never know what can happen.

cancidas
2007-09-15, 09:13 PM
depends. if i could easily access the crash site i'd go there and assist in traige or first aide. i'm not breaking any laws though.

Derf
2007-09-15, 11:32 PM
I was about 35 feet from a piper that had a main gear collapse a couple of years ago. I took night time long exposures.... I helped to document it only as there was plenty of movement and help as I walked over.

If someone is in danger, I have dropped a personal laptop worth $5,500 and a few grand in tools, personal terminal for a car that was T-boned. If you have a camera or not, it does not matter, Your decision will not change on what to do...the question is, will you first take 1 shot or 5 before running?

emshighway
2007-09-16, 12:15 PM
For someone who has done spot news and EMS it all depends on the situation. In a larger plane crash you really are not going to do much by yourself and the photos you take could assist the NTSB in their investigation. Your decision will probably become more do you sell the photos to the media.

I have had twice where vehicles overturned in front of me on the highway and I have chose to grab my trauma bag than my camera bag.

LGA777
2007-09-16, 07:57 PM
I witnessed the tragic USAir F-28 crash at LGA in 1992 from the original US Ramp Tower (above the current C Concourse). As an operations agent I had a tremdous responsibulity and work load right after the accident and it was dark with moderate snowfall. Quite a few of my co-workers on the ramp rushed to the scene (in the snow) to assist survivors, some arriving on sight before the actual rescue teams. It was a horific night I will never forget, and I am proud of how I performed and even more proud of how my brave co-workers downstairs approached a burning and broken aircraft in the water to assist our customers and crew members. I will never forget that night.

LGA777

emshighway
2007-09-16, 08:50 PM
I witnessed the tragic USAir F-28 crash at LGA in 1992 from the original US Ramp Tower (above the current C Concourse). As an operations agent I had a tremdous responsibulity and work load right after the accident and it was dark with moderate snowfall. Quite a few of my co-workers on the ramp rushed to the scene (in the snow) to assist survivors, some arriving on sight before the actual rescue teams. If was a horific night I will never forget, and I am proud of how I performed and even more proud of how my brave co-workers downstairs approached a burning and broken aircraft in the water to assist our customers and crew members. I will never forget that night.

LGA777

Flight 405. I was the second arriving EMS Supervisor and I came from Lincoln Hospital, I slid most of the length of the Tri-Boro. I was there until around 10 AM the next day working various sectors including briefing the Mayor and the morgue. All of the airport, airline and emergency personnel showed professionalism and skill that night.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-16, 09:29 PM
Here's my honest answer. I know this can be a sensitive issue.

First, I'd take as many pictures as I can until the action of the crash has stopped for a few seconds. Documentation is important for investigative purposes...and that can save lives in future crashes.

If I can access the crash site, I will take the memory card from the camera and put it in my pocket as I run towards the scene, slinging my camera over my back.

If I can't access the site, I'd continue to take photos of the rescue effort.

People then always ask and wonder "Would you sell your photos for profit?"

My answer is yes. First, I'd submit a copy of all of my photos to the FAA. I would then contact news agencies and sell the photos there, but in a way that does not give them permanent usage rights.

Some would call it capitalizing on tragedy, but I see it as reporting the news, and the newspapers and news agencies will all make money from it anyway. News photographers make their living doing the same.

I would take a percentage of my profits and donate it to the families or a crash-related memorial or fund.

N790SW
2007-09-16, 10:23 PM
Here's my honest answer. I know this can be a sensitive issue.

First, I'd take as many pictures as I can until the action of the crash has stopped for a few seconds. Documentation is important for investigative purposes...and that can save lives in future crashes.

If I can access the crash site, I will take the memory card from the camera and put it in my pocket as I run towards the scene, slinging my camera over my back.

If I can't access the site, I'd continue to take photos of the rescue effort.

People then always ask and wonder "Would you sell your photos for profit?"

My answer is yes. First, I'd submit a copy of all of my photos to the FAA. I would then contact news agencies and sell the photos there, but in a way that does not give them permanent usage rights.

Some would call it capitalizing on tragedy, but I see it as reporting the news, and the newspapers and news agencies will all make money from it anyway. News photographers make their living doing the same.

I would take a percentage of my profits and donate it to the families or a crash-related memorial or fund.

Hey Phil, Very well put.

I remember in one of your editorials, didn't you say you saw the US Air F-28 accident from your window as a kid, or was it someone else, in a way i am sure it was a pretty interesting site.

On the night of July 17,1996 I did indeed see a 747 that might have operated as TWA flight 800 from a place on the shore of Long Island, on that night I knew nothing of what a 747 was or what The words TWA meant on the tail, all I remember is the 747 shaped plane and hearing all about it on the news. For some odd reason and you may call me weird for this but that crash got me into planes. I guess sometimes tragedies have an affect like that on people. I was also 7 years old at the time, and ironically for x-mas I received a TWA 747 model, stating it as flight 800 when I opened it up, my parents had some reaction to that I can definitely say.

DHG750R
2007-09-17, 06:33 AM
I witnessed the tragic USAir F-28 crash at LGA in 1992 from the original US Ramp Tower (above the current C Concourse). As an operations agent I had a tremdous responsibulity and work load right after the accident and it was dark with moderate snowfall. Quite a few of my co-workers on the ramp rushed to the scene (in the snow) to assist survivors, some arriving on sight before the actual rescue teams. It was a horific night I will never forget, and I am proud of how I performed and even more proud of how my brave co-workers downstairs approached a burning and broken aircraft in the water to assist our customers and crew members. I will never forget that night.

LGA777

I was on the ramp that night , I was among the 1st to reach that bird , it was every bit as ugly up close in person. I also had the misfortune to witness the DL and CO MD80's as the accidents unfolded. I had my own responsibilities which I was tied to , so i was unable to run to assist those evacuating. Otherwise I have been right here trying to help.

adam613
2007-09-17, 11:37 AM
My primary concern would be documentation. In other words, I'd take a lot of pictures and write down anything I saw/heard as accurately as possible. I'm not at all qualified to assist with rescue efforts (other than calling 911 if ATC hasn't already summoned emergency vehicles), but I know enough about aviation that I could assist the NTSB as a witness. (Also, I work for the media.)

Gerard
2007-09-17, 10:58 PM
Interesting topic.
25 years ago this Friday I was spotting at the East 60 Street Heliport (NYC) after work. I
had reached down to get something out of my camera bag when I heard this loud sickening sound. I liken it to the snap of a whip. When I stood up and looked over the wall
above the heliport I saw a body lying underneath the tail rotor of a Bell 222 that was being used by Pan Am as part of their airport shuttle operation. Well I was at the top of the heliport and I grabbed my camera and ran down to get a closer view. As I did this guy ran past me totally hysterical. He had been RIGHT BEHIND the 222 watching and saw the guy walk right into the tail rotor. Me? I climbed up on the curb that was part of the wall and snapped a number of pictures. It didnt take long before emergency responders raced to the scene, packaged the victim and rushed him to the hospital but I think that was all a formality. It was a very surreal experience as I stood there and as soon as the media found out I was (somewhat) of an eyewitness I began to be interviewed by a number of TV stations. And then a reporter/photographer from the NY Post learned I had taken pictures and wanted my roll of film to see if they were any good. He had the proper credentials and gave me his business card and told me to call him that evening. Well things quited down and I left the scene heading over to my girlfriends (now wife) apartment a short walk on E67/1 Avenue. When I walked in she said I looked white as a ghost. I related the story to her then proceeded into the bathroom and puked my guts up.
I guess the adrenaline had worn off and reality set in. That evening we had another couple visit and we had dinner and I drank EXTREMELY heavy that night. At 10PM we watched my "appearance" on TV and then I called the Post guy. He loved the pictures and told me one would be on the FRONT PAGE of the NY Post the next day. Whoa!! I believe I received $500 for that. The next day there it was and the Post sent a messenger with the negatives to my job. Sometime later a law firm representing the family of the victim contacting me wanting a copy of the negatives for their case. we negotiated a price and that was that. I never heard anything more about the case.
Did I ever feel guilty about taking the pix and making money off of it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!
Did I feel sad for the poor guy who died that night. ABSOLUTELY!!
I never hesitated taking those pictures!! Pretty wild feeling while it all went down something I will NEVER forget.
But I still wonder about the poor guy who actually eyewitnessed the incident. He did have a camera but after he babbled to me as he ran past I never saw him again. He looked pretty shaken up by the whole thing. Hey, maybe if I had actually witnessed the rotor strike I would have reacted the same way.

Derf
2007-09-18, 08:36 AM
are there any non gory pictures you can share?
I feel bad for that guy running around... That would have given me nightmares for a few back to back days. I am ok with blood and gore as long as I have to be in control....later is when I allow it to sink in....but a rotor strike? that has got to be difficult to deal with!

Art at ISP
2007-09-18, 02:59 PM
This is a very interesting topic.

I would have to say that were I to witness such an event, my firefighter training would automatically kick in and take over control of what I was doing, and send me to the scene to try to save lives. I might snap a few on the way over, but first and foremost preservation of life would be my direction. I was used to rushing into burning buildings all the time, and it becomes somewhat autonomic after a few years (you do it automatically, think about it after).

That said I would have to think about the fact that I am no longer in the shape I was 30 years ago when I became a firefighter--or 12 years ago when I gave it up......

I'd still try to do what I could though.

hiss srq
2007-09-18, 03:18 PM
I would probably document it real fast as the incident takes place a nd than get a move on toward the incident to do whatever I could to help in the situation. Most likely though there is not going to be much you can do if fire is present. That is when it is time to let the professioanls go to work.

Gerard
2007-09-18, 07:53 PM
>are there any non gory pictures you can share? <

Actually the pictures arent that gory. The one they used on the front page was a shot of the aircraft with the guy
laying below the tail rotor in a pool of blood. Black and white and not a close-up. Another picture was of one of the
pilots (female) running out of the cockpit in shock. Apparently the victim was loaded onto the ship on the left side then climbed out the right side to make sure his bag had been placed on board and walked right into the blade. Probably never
knew what hit him.
The negatives and a copy of the paper are somewhere in my basement. I havent looked at them in YEARS.