PDA

View Full Version : DL opening a new lounge in NYC - and it's not at the airport

Nonstop2AUH
2007-09-15, 02:01 AM
From BizBash (a local business events website):

"Delta Airlines and Gen Art Partner on Pop-Up

From October 2 through November 12, the corner of 57th Street and Avenue of the Americas will be the site of Sky 360, a 3,800-square-foot temporary lounge sponsored by Delta Airlines. Gen Art is handling the booking and event coordination for the space, which will be available for events of as many as 250 guests between 6 p.m. and 12 a.m. on all days but Sundays and Mondays.

In the plans for the venue are a bar area, a video projection screen, nine plasma screens, DVD players, three computer terminals, an audio system, elevated areas for performances or speeches, and almost no visible Delta branding save for some on the tiling behind the bar."

Well, I went by there today myself and there is certainly visible branding on the outside, new Delta branding is all over the northwest corner of 57th and 6th as they build this installation. Not sure what the point is other than to make Delta seem trendy, similar concept to the Song popup that was downtown a few years ago.

Nycfly75
2007-09-15, 09:18 AM
Delta will surprising some people about some JFK facility announcements in the coming months ;)

T-Bird76
2007-09-15, 10:48 AM
With the buck they are spending lately maybe they should buy some new planes and replaces the flying **** boxes they have now.

mirrodie
2007-09-15, 11:49 AM
With the buck they are spending lately maybe they should buy some new planes and replaces the flying **** boxes they have now.

Flying **** boxes? Monty, is that you? spotting those BAe 146's again??!!

hiss srq
2007-09-15, 01:32 PM
I have to diagree having flown Delta at least 4 times in the last year with your statement Tommy. I find that they have the best service, culture, and airplanes as far as sharp condition there is out there.

Iberia A340-600
2007-09-15, 02:38 PM
I have to diagree having flown Delta at least 4 times in the last year with your statement Tommy. I find that they have the best service, culture, and airplanes as far as sharp condition there is out there.

From my personal experience I'd give that title in a second to Continental... I flew Delta four times in the past three months and was not very pleased.

hiss srq
2007-09-15, 04:04 PM
Just my opinion though. I have flown most of the majors in the last year and I enjoyed Delta the most out of any carrier including Continental which I did have flight bennies on untill last November.

Matt Molnar
2007-09-15, 06:53 PM
I'd say the inside of DL's 75's and 73's are in much better shape than, say, AA's, but I can't speak for the MD-80s.

Back on topic...this is a really bizarre idea. Why would someone want to have an event at this place? Will it be free?

Nonstop2AUH
2007-09-16, 05:08 AM
There's a bit more elaboration at the link below. Apparently DL did something similar with GenArt at the Sundance Film Festival and the idea is to rent out the lounge for private parties, celebrity events and such, the benefit to Delta being the association with GenArt (which calls itself "the leading arts & entertainment organization dedicated to showcasing the best emerging talent") and the sort of trendy brands and people that might use the space. IMHO the concept is aimed at trying to give DL some of the buzz factor in the NYC media/entertainment/fashion biz that JetBlue and Virgin America seem to have.

I believe this location (it's street level) has been vacant for some time and probably the landlord offered a good short term rental deal. In Manhattan there's a fair amount of vacant retail in some areas, seems like in many cases the last tenant couldn't afford the rent increase so moved out but a new tenant has yet to move in.

Anyway it does seem odd they would make all this effort to do Sky360 and not keep it open a few more weeks to capture some of the corporate holiday party market.

Some more info here:

http://www.genart.org/x/newsflash/2007/ ... 006#tag252 (http://www.genart.org/x/newsflash/2007/08/21/index.html?utm_source=newsflash&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsflash_11292006#tag252)

Winglets747
2007-09-16, 10:49 PM
Back on topic...Delta did something like this a year ago in Mid-Town to promote its cross-country service. It was in partnership with some posh travel shop.