PDA

View Full Version : B6 to start charging for onboard amenities.

Nycfly75
2007-09-12, 10:13 PM
They will start charging for headsets, blankets and pillow by the end of the year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... jJqr5TtBlY (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=akjJqr5TtBlY)

nikon50bigma
2007-09-12, 11:20 PM
The article makes note about Virgin America and competing with them.

The moves may help the low-fare airline meet the challenge from rivals including startup Virgin America Inc.,
But Virgin America just started recently and I don't think they have many A320's yet, B6 couldn't be feeling the affects of them already could they?

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-13, 08:21 AM
I don't think that JetBlue is "feeling" the effects, but I think they might be witnessing the trends and appeal of Virgin America and their service.

I don't see how charging money for those things would even imply they are feeling anything anyway. It sounds like they are jsut driving down costs.

Matt Molnar
2007-09-13, 09:55 AM
jetBlue has never had pillows or blankets, so this is actually a new amenity, not something that was previously free that they're now charging for.

The article also says they'll begin a test run of meals on Fort Myers and Burbank flights.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-13, 09:57 AM
I thought that.

I'm more surprised that they will be charging for headsets though.

MarkLawrence
2007-09-13, 10:10 AM
It's getting like Spirit - they give you lower costs - but the nickle-and-dime you to death - personally - I hate that - I remember the dollar here dollar there more than I remember the price of the original ticket - I guess it's back to Continental and Delta for me....

Winglets747
2007-09-13, 10:32 AM
They've definitely had pillows and blankets.

I've always heard people say while the free snacks are great, they want real food--especially on the long flights. Paying for food ensures that it's decent quality.

I'm not sure what I think about selling headsets. What with iPods and all, almost everyone has headsets/earbuds that are much better quality than the cheap airline ones, yet if you forget yours or didn't bring it you're in a jam.

mirrodie
2007-09-13, 12:26 PM
I thought that.

AA has been charging $2 for a while now.

RDU-JFK
2007-09-13, 12:41 PM
I thought that.

AA has been charging $2 for a while now.

Delta, too. $2. Like Mr. Winglets said, everyone has headphones. Kind of like why payphone prices have gone up to 50 cents. Everyone has cell phones.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-13, 08:36 PM
Here's an Editorial on the subject: http://nycaviation.com/editorials#derner091307

bluejuice
2007-09-16, 10:38 AM
I have not heard any rumors confirming or denying the charging for amenities on the jetBlue flights. As most of you have stated and also on A.net we do charge for upgraded headsets and we charge $1 and its on the HONOR system. As far as pillows and blankets go we do provide them to anyone who ask for them. There was talk of offering upgraded pillows and blankets to the customers to bring in additional $$$ and we were to still offer the free ones. Offering anysort of hot meals would probably mean re-configuring the galleys. And as a sideline the AC will be provided with some sort of Wi-Fi towards the end of the year. i believe we will still offer all the current items for "FREE" but if you want an to upgrade it would cost you.

B6MOVER
2007-09-16, 07:42 PM
Juice,
No need to reconfigure the galleys
Cold sandwiches and salads only
plenty of room onboard