PDA

View Full Version : PHL

adam613
2007-09-12, 11:13 AM
Is anyone on this board a Phildadelphia resident or experienced PHL spotter? I'm going to be down there for a few days and will probably be able to sneak away to the airport at some point, which I will definitely do since the weather looks beautiful. I saw the map on phlairline.com; it looks like I just need to take I-95 to Enterprise Ave, turn on to Ft. Mifflin Rd, and drive around to whatever spot fits the runway(s) in use. Anything I need to be aware of? Police presence? Odd lighting issues? What runway configurations do they generally use, and what does it depend on? Any particular time I'm likely to see interesting traffic, or is it pretty spread out?

Thanks!

Steven Holzinger
2007-09-12, 01:00 PM
Just don't park on the same side as the airport fence! Also, park as far off the road as possible. UPS trucks do come flying down that road (it turns into Hog Island Road). Occasionally you might have one or two cops stop you, but I think that number has dropped significantly. Like I said, if you stay on the other side of the road (the side closest to the river), you won't have a problem.

hiss srq
2007-09-14, 01:34 PM
PHLApproach (Ed Mcoy) is very knowladgeable in it and if I am not mistaken Melly is from the area as well.

Mateo
2007-09-14, 08:06 PM
Yup.. far side of the road; cars, ATVs, and motorcycles tend to use the road as a drag strip, so stay as far from the pavement as possible. Most of the road down by the AER 9s are signed "no parking," but it's OK most other places. If you'll be on the 9s side, use the gravel lot by the fire trainer (can't miss it). If you'll be on the 27s side, just scope out where the best angle for you will be. Standard config is on 27R/26/35, off 27L/35 for the west operation.