PDA

View Full Version : TSA: ID Not Required

Matt Molnar
2007-09-06, 12:57 PM
Because some people like nothing better than to bust the balls of government employees over technicalities in federal law, some guy has made it his duty to make sure people know they don't have to show TSA screeners their ID at the airport.

That's right, your airline will require it, but the TSA does not. The feds know or can find out who's checked in anyway, so this is completely pointless. But this guy just loves stickin' it in The Man's face.

He claims if you decline to show ID, you may be skipped to the head of the line, since non-ID'd passengers must undergo a thorough search under TSA rules. So he'd rather go through a humiliating search of his person and all his stuff than simply tell them who he is. That'll teach 'em!

Read more: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-976908 ... l?tag=head (http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9769089-7.html?tag=head)

cancidas
2007-09-06, 12:59 PM
then why does TSA in DCA harp on those pax w/o ID? every time i fly throught there they bitch about seeing an ID and taking off your belt....

emshighway
2007-09-06, 03:56 PM
TSA regulations state that the airline check the ID at the ticket counter. An airline ticket checker (soon to be replaced by TSA) then double checks and ensures your boarding pass is for the correct checkpoint. If you do not produce proper identification then you are suppose to be designated a selectee and undergo additional secondary screening.

Expect more scrutiny of your ID when the TSA takes the Ticket Document Checker positions. In areas that have already started it there has been an increase in false ID/passports being turned over to the local law enforcement.

By the way the assumption that if you don't show ID you get bumped to the head of the line is false.

T-Bird76
2007-09-06, 03:59 PM
Well maybe this guy just likes the feel of warm latex moving over his....yeah you can make up the rest.

RDU-JFK
2007-09-06, 04:13 PM
So then theoretically a stranger can book a ticket, check in online the night before, give me the ticket, and I can get past the TSA when the name might not even match the ticket!? That doesn't seem right!!

Matt Molnar
2007-09-06, 04:17 PM
So then theoretically a stranger can book a ticket, check in online the night before, give me the ticket, and I can get past the TSA when the name might not even match the ticket!? That doesn't seem right!!
Great point, I didn't think of that.

emshighway
2007-09-06, 04:35 PM

Thus why it is put on the airlines to verify but thanks to the ACLU the TSA really doesn't want to pull the trigger and mandate it and have to go through the fight. Trust me we don't like it at all.

T-Bird76
2007-09-06, 04:38 PM

Thus why it is put on the airlines to verify but thanks to the ACLU the TSA really doesn't want to pull the trigger and mandate it and have to go through the fight. Trust me we don't like it at all.

If they don't show their id and then get a selective screening can't the TSA refuse to clear them if they aren't sure who they are?

emshighway
2007-09-06, 04:45 PM
If they don't show their id and then get a selective screening can't the TSA refuse to clear them if they aren't sure who they are?

If they can not be properly screened then yes but it becomes what is not properly screened. If they go through secondary screening and are cleared were they properly screened? If the person states they forgot or loss the ID is one thing, if they out right refuse that sends up flags and local law enforcement should be brought into the matter.

It becomes a civil liberties case where they believe they should be able to go anywhere without question. The question I would have for them is as a fellow passenger on that flight aren't they infringing on my rights to feel safe by not showing ID?

T-Bird76
2007-09-06, 04:54 PM

If they can not be properly screened then yes but it becomes what is not properly screened. If they go through secondary screening and are cleared were they properly screened? If the person states they forgot or loss the ID is one thing, if they out right refuse that sends up flags and local law enforcement should be brought into the matter.

It becomes a civil liberties case where they believe they should be able to go anywhere without question. The question I would have for them is as a fellow passenger on that flight aren't they infringing on my rights to feel safe by not showing ID?

Wow this is interesting. It seems as if anyone "running" from the law could almost escape to somewhere simply because they don't want to show their id. What a totally screwed up system we have.

RDU-JFK
2007-09-06, 05:02 PM
I actually e-mailed this guy Soghoian and told him this situation. I will post whatever response he sends me.