PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of Spotting (slightly graphic)

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-05, 07:27 PM
As some of you might have seen or heard, I cut my hand open on Saturday while descending down to the shoreline of College Point for some LGA photos. Tommy and Matt took me to the hospital where I got stitched up quick and then headed right over to JFK fore more shooting.

My hand was very swollen that night, and the pain was pretty bad, but some meds and sleep did me well and there has been little discomfort since. My hand is currently purple, but the swelling has gone down some, though I still have no feeling in half of my thumb.

Sorry if I sound dramatic, but it was quite an adventure. I'm going to a hand surgeon next week to see if I need surgery to reconnect any nerves since I should have gained my feeling back.

These photos were taken the 2nd night. The cut continues a little bit behind that bump.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/cut1.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/cut2.jpg

Oh the dangers of spotting!

AirtrafficController
2007-09-05, 07:30 PM
OO How did you get cut up from anyway?, a fence or rock?
Hope you get better Phil

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-05, 07:37 PM
I took a little slip and my hand went into a bush...I think there was a bottle in there or something. I didn't even look.

AirtrafficController
2007-09-05, 07:39 PM
Well I guess you will do anything for some aircraft shots :D
Does the cut effect your job greatly?

emshighway
2007-09-05, 07:56 PM
Did you get a tetnus shot? Also you may want to clean it up a little more with some peroxide. Then keep it as clean as possible to avoid infection.

That area is hard for healing properly because of the movement. A hand surgeon is a good idea.

I was in the hospital also this weekend for chest pains. Stress test indicates not heart related so it is properly GI.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-05, 08:04 PM
The pic was taken during the cleaning. I went through it very well with peroxide, then wrapped with gauze after an application of neosporin. I change the wrap daily.

This actually does not effect my job because by chance, I happen to have this week off. Next week, I probably won't have full operation of my hand, but I'll be sitting at a desk anyway, and I type pretty well with one hand (easy joke), as I am right now.

liagalinnyc
2007-09-09, 10:50 PM
Is there an update to this topic? How's the healing going?

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-09, 10:54 PM
So far so good. I still have the stitches in, and I'm typing with two hands now for the most part.

I still do not have full mobility in my right hand because of bruising and soreness, as well as some swelling that still remains. One side of my thumb is still numb.

But it's looking much better compared to day one. Thanks.

RDU-JFK
2007-09-10, 08:34 AM
Hope you have a speedy recovery, Phil.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-17, 09:11 AM
My hand is no longer wrapped, and the wound only covered by a band-aid. Still sore some, I can't shake hands with people, which bothers me a lot.

In addition, a hand surgeon told me that I will require surgery to correct the nerve damage that I apparently have. So he will probably slice my hand open within the next two weeks, and then I'll wrapped up for another 2 more before I can rip phone books again. haha

Derf
2007-09-17, 11:28 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that Phil. I will keep you in mind every time I need the yellowpages.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-22, 09:04 PM
In case some are interested, I had the surgery on Wednesday to repair what was one full severed nerve. They putr me under general anesthesia, from which the tube still has my throat feeling raw.

Once the wound heals, after however many stitches are under this, I have to wait up to three months for the feeling to completely return to my thumb, but I should be ok with strength and mobility sooner than that.

My hand is now wrapped up again, and much bigger than last time, in wraps that I can't remove until this coming Wednesday when I see the doc again. I can't hold a camera, and it's frustrating, this week of any, to not be able to take pics of planes.

I'm typing with one hand, and doing pretty good. Mel helps me out with certain tasks that are annoying with one hand as well.

ill post pics of the stitches once i get this taken off. :) !!!

moose135
2007-09-22, 09:06 PM
Mel helps me out with certain tasks that are annoying with one hand as well.

And that's all that will be said on that topic :wink:

Glad the surgery went well, hope you have a speedy recovery and are out spotting again real soon!

N790SW
2007-09-23, 07:09 PM
Phil did someone else ( aside from a doctor ) stitch you up? it looks like a home made stitch to me? Feel better soon!!.

Matt Molnar
2007-09-23, 07:14 PM
Tommy actually had a knitting kit in his glove compartment which we used to sew Phil up. :borat:

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-23, 07:16 PM
No, it was the ER doc that did it. The surgeon said that the ER doc didn't give me enough stitches and that he gave me wrong instructions.

Delta777LR
2007-09-23, 07:59 PM
im glad you are okay at least.

N790SW
2007-09-23, 10:03 PM
What would NYCA would have done w.o Phil!!!!!!! =O!!!! wrong instructions - cant you sue them for that?

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-23, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the warm wishes.

Not worth making a bug deal over.

FYI, if I go down, GothamSpotter runs the site. We almost swore him in that day on the way to the hospital. :wink: