PDA

View Full Version : Fireball off of NJ Coast

emshighway
2007-09-01, 10:26 PM
WPIX Ch 11 reporting multiple calls to Coast Guard from NJ and LI coasts for a large fireball into the water. Reported 5-10 miles off Ortley Beach, Ocean County New Jersey.

Anyone have any further?

emshighway
2007-09-01, 10:49 PM
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat 9/1/2007 10:42 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients
Cc:
Subject: UNCONFIRMED REPORT OF FIREBALL FALLING INTO ATLANTIC OCEAN

REPORTS WERE RECEIVED TO 911 IN NYC AS WELL AS SEVERAL JURISDICTIONS IN COASTAL NEW JERSEY FROM PERSONS STATING THEY WITNESSED A FIREBALL FALL FROM THE SKY INTO THE COASTAL WATERS OFF SHORE. FAA IS ADVISING THAT THEY ARE NOT MISSING ANY COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT FROM THEIR RADAR. THE NJ STATE POLICE REPORTED THAT THE U.S. COAST GUARD WAS INVESTIGATING THE WATERS EAST OF POINT PLEASANT NJ, HOWEVER NO DEBRIS FIELD OR ANY INDICATION OF AN AVIATION INCIDENT WAS OBSERVED. AT THIS TIME THE CAUSE OF THE FIREBALL IS UNDETERMINED. OEM WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR.

hiss srq
2007-09-01, 11:35 PM
It is not visible from my neighborhood. I will keep and ear out. Intresting information.

PHL Approach
2007-09-02, 01:21 AM
Nobody states a time... It could be ironic, but Im looking at flightaware of one of our flights that returned tonight 750 to BRU. It flew directly over that town or very close. I was in the nightly conference call listening to the daily Intl report between all the managers, maintence, customer svc etc. The person that usually hosts this conference said that the flight had rudder problems. So I don't see how this could pertain to a fireball. But if I could get a time that people saw this then I could look at some of our other flights that might have filed DITCH.V312.DRIFT so see what else flew directly over that beach.

Alex T
2007-09-02, 02:05 AM
How Eriee....

Makes me think of TWA 800 all over again.

Hope everything is ok out there!

Alex

NYCMedic
2007-09-02, 05:09 AM
From The Daily News Website:

Meteor shower along New Jersey shore sparks fears of plane crash --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story
An apparent meteor show sparked fears of a plane crash over the waters off the coast of the Jersey Shore yesterday.

The U.S. Coast Guard received dozens of calls from people as far south as South Carolina reporting they saw what appeared to be a fireball dropping from the sky around 8:30 p.m., authorities said.

U.S. Coast Guard vessels and the New Jersey State police conducted a search 10 miles off the coast of Normandy Beach but found no evidence of a crash, a Coast Guard spokesman said, adding that the Federal Aviation Administration had no reports of a missing aircraft.

The spokesman, Nyx Cangemi, suggested the sightings were a result of the rare aurigid meteor shower, which was predicted to occur yesterday.