PDA

View Full Version : LOW flying aircraft "over" Manhattan...

Tom_Turner
2007-08-30, 09:32 PM
I wonder how many people on the upper floors of Manhattan skyscrapers might be enjoying a sight like this - 4 engine plane coming (more or less) towards at them at unusually low altitude?

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/LowOverManhattan.jpg

For those that recognize it, probably not too alarming of course......

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/ElectraTwo.jpg

The route of course, veers out over the Hudson...

Always nice for me of course to see these nice and "low"....

Tom

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-30, 09:37 PM
Good catch on the plane, Tom! Did it actually end up going over Manhattan?

In April I was flying into JFK in a storm, and we actually came in on the very rare ILS 13L approach, and we came right over Manhattan somewhere between 2,000 and 1,500ft.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-30, 09:53 PM
Good catch on the plane, Tom! Did it actually end up going over Manhattan?

In April I was flying into JFK in a storm, and we actually came in on the very rare ILS 13L approach, and we came right over Manhattan somewhere between 2,000 and 1,500ft.

Hi Phil !

Yeah, it went out over the Hudson really. There is an image that has made the rounds on the net over the years of a Galaxy flying South - looking from the New Jersey side - flying alongside or nearly so - Manhattan's skyscrapers. Many have said it was a fake, but I think it is possibly real.. usually though this is limited to C-130s and Orions - occasional DC-3 or B-17.

Of course back when Continental had all those ATRs some years back a few of them cruised up and down the Hudson river fairly low as well.

As far as that ILS 13L approach, I *REALLY MISS* seeing that in clear weather daylight hours. It was a rare rare sight in the 60s and early 70s, but just awesome when used. It would undercut the LGA approach traffic over Brooklyn at a perpendicular angle. :D

Tom

cancidas
2007-08-30, 09:54 PM
talk about lucky. nice job time...