PDA

View Full Version : Taping the Doors?

Chris102
2007-08-28, 04:56 PM
I was looking through my photos of N707JT, and I realized that there was some blue tape over the main door's openings. There wasn't any tape on any of the other doors.

My question is, why did they tape up the main door?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/CDolan/tape.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-28, 05:01 PM
I am assuming this is a seal. It's to prevent people from tampering with the aircraft while it's unattended, since airliners don't really have locks.

I do this as well. You fly somewhere and you put seals on anything that opens...all doors and panels. The next morning or whenever you return, if none are broken, you know no one's entered or touched your plane in a way they shouldn't have.

If peeled away, the seals usually will not be able to stick back on, and will also leave some of the sticker behind so you know if one was there to begin with.

T-Bird76
2007-08-28, 05:02 PM
Phil you wouldn't need that much tape to prevent tamping and that tape is easily reapplied, its painters blue tape.

Looks like some kind of protection method for extended storage while its parked there. There are seams around the door, looks like this will keep dust and dirt away. Interesting use of painters blue tape though, that stuff doesn't leave a mark when you take it off.

njgtr82
2007-08-28, 05:08 PM
I know at EWR(and everywhere else I assume) the airlines have to put tamper seals on the doors when they are parked overnight at hardstands as per the TSA. The jetways are locked at the gates also.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-28, 05:11 PM
Maybe because it was painter's tape and not an actual seal they used extra to show evidence of tampering in case something happened.

Those doors are otherwise air tight. I can't imagine any reason to need that.

T-Bird76
2007-08-28, 05:12 PM
I know at EWR(and everywhere else I assume) the airlines have to put tamper seals on the doors when they are parked overnight at hardstands as per the TSA. The jetways are locked at the gates also.

That tape isn't a tamper seal though. Tamper seals leave a residure, you see it in the lavs of the planes all the time.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-28, 05:33 PM
Hence why they'd use so much.

emshighway
2007-08-28, 05:52 PM
I'd go with Phil. Looks like someone was overzealous sealing an RON.

Mateo
2007-08-28, 08:29 PM
US Customs also uses door tape - look carefully for the residue the next time you board. It may just be for pre-clearance, though, since I've only seen it on AC CRJs and NW Airbusses.

cancidas
2007-08-29, 01:16 AM
that's the first time i've seen an airplane door taped up like that, a little overkill IMO. i remember getting taped in our hotel rooms on high school ski trips back in the day, but due to the layout of the ground we were always able to get out using the windows. once we left streaks along the wall from our sneakers, never got found out.

seriously now, i don't really see the point of taping doors on RON airplanes. the airplane needs to be inspected before the first morning flight anyway, what procedure is there for when you find the seal broken? are the authorities involved?

Winglets747
2007-08-29, 08:19 AM
that's the first time i've seen an airplane door taped up like that, a little overkill IMO. i remember getting taped in our hotel rooms on high school ski trips back in the day

Oh the memories :lol:

emshighway
2007-08-29, 11:52 AM
seriously now, i don't really see the point of taping doors on RON airplanes. the airplane needs to be inspected before the first morning flight anyway, what procedure is there for when you find the seal broken? are the authorities involved?

They should be notified.

nwafan20
2007-08-29, 12:16 PM
On preflight I don't think they open up every door and panel do they?

I see the tape alot, A lot of owners are now actually also putting in motion detectors with cameras so when its tripped a camera turns on and tapes whatever is going on.

adam613
2007-08-29, 01:33 PM
Maybe he wants to keep thetans from getting into his plane?

cancidas
2007-08-29, 03:56 PM
when we dispatch any RON airplane every area of the aircraft (cockpit, cabin and belly) are searched, a checklist is signed and kept with the rest of the ppwk.