PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of SWA at JFK?

Nycfly75
2007-08-25, 07:40 PM
I was thinking today about the possibility at SWA at JFK. Perhaps the old Tower Air location would be a great place for them to launch ops?

Iberia A340-600
2007-08-25, 11:34 PM
I've heard that SWF is most likely going to be the "launch portal" into the NYC market for Southwest.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-26, 08:50 AM
I was thinking today about the possibility at SWA at JFK. Perhaps the old Tower Air location would be a great place for them to launch ops?

I don't think that will happen, though its not undoable.

If/when jetBlue goes belly up however, look for Virgin or SW to probably take over in its place at JFK...

Tom

T-Bird76
2007-08-26, 01:12 PM
This is a current rumor at WN right now. I was thinking the same thing Vin that they could use the old Tower Air Terminal but JFK just doesn't seem right for JFK. I can't see them maximizing their aircraft when each night planes sit for an hour or two waiting to take off.

Alex T
2007-08-26, 01:55 PM
I am not saying one thing or another..

But I have been told expect to see WN in NYC within two years. Either JFK or LGA.

Before you say no room or no slots, you also forget ATA flies into LGA, and maybe they worked an agreement, who knows.

As for JFK, it was almost a given "you will see WN at JFK within two years"

How, when, why, who? I have absolutely No Idea.

This is not a confirmed rumor, but it is a rumor.

As for Delya and such? Well That was thrown out the window once we entered PHL, and to an exten, SFO, though I have been told ATC problems have gone down at SFO.

Will be interesting to see, but don't mark my words or quote me.

Alex

h2opunk1822
2007-08-26, 04:15 PM
well i can honestly say.. i dont think this company is going to be in buisness that much longer.. every day i come into work and it just gets progressively worse.. With management running the company the way it has been lately.. it is just a downward spiral.. Ive been saying it since day one when i heard about Virgin.. VA is taking our place, and its just a matter of time before we fold

T-Bird76
2007-08-26, 04:55 PM
well i can honestly say.. i dont think this company is going to be in buisness that much longer.. every day i come into work and it just gets progressively worse.. With management running the company the way it has been lately.. it is just a downward spiral.. Ive been saying it since day one when i heard about Virgin.. VA is taking our place, and its just a matter of time before we fold

Well as a once loyal jetBlue customer I think you're dead on. The only thing B6 has going for it is leg room and TV's...that's it. The customer service is gone, delays and other operationally related issues are just out of control with no light at the end of the tunnel.

h2opunk1822
2007-08-26, 07:07 PM
well a once loyal customer.. and a once loyal employee... whats the best we can do for IFE.. cant come anywhere near close to VA.. and parking the live E-190's out in our overnight staging area, and have all the customers waiting an extra 1/2 just for bus's to come around.. then have the apu from the plane infront of them hitting them in the face as they exit the A/C.. each day we loose more and more customers to stupidity.. and its costing them big time

Nycfly75
2007-08-26, 08:39 PM
As someone I used to work with at NAA told me," Jet Blue is building that new terminal for someone else." IMO, either VX or WN.

N790SW
2007-08-27, 06:01 PM
As someone I used to work with at NAA told me," Jet Blue is building that new terminal for someone else." IMO, either VX or WN.

Imagine WN 737s at TWA Terminal 5 =O? But what terminal did Tower Air fly into ? and I know Mikephotos has a pic of N328SW at JFK.

Iberia A340-600
2007-08-27, 10:45 PM

Imagine WN 737s at TWA Terminal 5 =O? But what terminal did Tower Air fly into ? and I know Mikephotos has a pic of N328SW at JFK.

Tower used a hangar/makeshift terminal out by the United hangar and near the threshold for 13R.

moose135
2007-08-27, 11:12 PM
Tower used a hangar/makeshift terminal out by the United hangar and near the threshold for 13R.

I think that was the old Pan Am hangar 17 - spent many a weekend there in my younger days.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-28, 01:07 AM

Southwest has flown into not only JFK, but EWR and LGA on occasion - but these were special circumstances - charters, diversions etc. Its not as if there are not alot of those planes in the air... build a runway and they'll show up in one form or another sooner or later... :)

Tom

T-Bird76
2007-08-28, 08:50 AM

Southwest has flown into not only JFK, but EWR and LGA on occasion - but these were special circumstances - charters, diversions etc. Its not as if there are not alot of those planes in the air... build a runway and they'll show up in one form or another sooner or later... :)

Tom

Excellent point Tom about the runway. WN has some special setup from what I understand at PHL that helps to minimize the usual delays at PHL. Unless they arrange to use another runway during peak hours at JFK I just don't see WN coming to JFK.

Now here's something to speculate on....Skybus at FRG?

nyctotpo
2007-08-28, 09:58 AM
ISP has a better chance of getting B6 than JFK or LGA does of getting WN.

Nycfly75
2007-08-28, 11:34 AM
As I told Tommy yesterday, they could just roll out to 13R and cut the line from the Tower facility.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-28, 09:02 PM
Now here's something to speculate on....Skybus at FRG?

Over at the "terminal"? heh.. now that would be something. I wonder if they could find a way to qualify for flights there somehow?

If they could get in at FRG, they might have some shot of success (with those flights anyway ....)

Tom

Tom_Turner
2007-08-28, 09:07 PM
As I told Tommy yesterday, they could just roll out to 13R and cut the line from the Tower facility.

I thought about that myself. It would work for them half the time anyway, but they'd have to live with that.

The other half of the time it wouldn't be so pretty.

Now if Delta could somehow get ahold of jetBlue's terminal(s) rather than Virgin, maybe that would be cheaper for them to rework the ramp and gates than rebuild 2 & 3. Probably still not enough space for them though, right?

Then WN could jump on *part* of those dumps & have the airtrain and all that.

But thats silly speculation to the extreme I realize...

Tom