PDA

View Full Version : AAdvantage Question

Nycfly75
2007-08-22, 11:05 PM
I recently starting banking with Citibank, and they've offered me an AAdvanatage Debit Card and Credit Card. I've never really been into the mileage game, except for Alitalia's Millemiglia, but wouldn't mind starting. Just wanted to know if anyone here had opinions on AAdvantage/OneWorld. Thanks!

Alex T
2007-08-22, 11:58 PM
I have the credit card.

I like it. High APR but as long as you pay off everytime you will be ok.

Basically you get one mile for every dollar spent on the card.

That is pretty much it.

Downside is, as expected it does not count torwards elite status, just miles.

Only thing I don't like about AA is , AA is the only US airline to accept and earn AAdvantage Miles.

I do believe Alaska Airlines allows you to do so, but they don't fly to my airport, so if I want to earn AA miles I must only fly AA.

Currently have 16,851 miles with AA combined of my credit card and flights on AA.

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-23, 06:38 AM
As Alex said, it's pretty basic, and doesn't have any "special" benefits beyond acquiring one mile per dollar spent.

Nycfly75
2007-08-23, 08:04 AM
I dont like the face that using the credit or debit card doesn't contribute to elite status, but I guess the same can be said (I think) for the Skymiles Amex. I am probably going to hold off on the credit card and just get the debit card for now. I dont really need another credit card. Aside from the cards how is the program? I saw Alex said that its quite limited to the airlines you can use it for in the US at least. Do the miles earned from hotel stays, etc go toward elite status or only flight segments?

Winglets747
2007-08-23, 09:02 AM
With AA, only flights count toward elite status. All other miles are just general miles.

There have been many discussions on FlyerTalk of the hassle people have had with Citi. A lot of times the miles did not show up when they were supposed to and people had to make numerous calls to Citi.

Regarding the debit card, I presume you got the 10,000 mile offer, which is pretty good considering you only have to pay $25 (for the low-end card, which earns 1 AA mile for every $2 in purchases). For the credit card, sign up when it's going to be useful for you--i.e. when you are going to be able to use the companion pass within the time frame, etc.

FYI you can earn AA miles with Alaska (as well as Hawaiian for flights within Hawaii).

Nycfly75
2007-08-23, 10:33 AM
I actually signed up for the 65$ plan, its one dollar for one mile and i got the 10K bonus miles. Im sure AA/One World can satisfactorily handle my domestic flying needs and if I ever went to London, South America, Australia or Asia. I wold still maintain my loyalty to AZ for Italy, I dont think I could bring myself to flying anyone else as long as AZ was around.

T-Bird76
2007-08-23, 10:45 AM
The Citi Advantage card isn't that great. I have the U.S Airways Master Card and it offers allot more then the Citi AA card. First year you get 1.5 miles for every dollar spent and double miles for all U.S purchases. You also get zone 2 boarding when you check in with it or show it at boarding on Star Alliance partners. It also includes each year a $99.00 companion ticket, a one time free pass to the U.S Airways club (no big deal but I'll take it).

The best card I have is my Hilton Honor Platinum Amex. You get 2500 Hilton points for you're first four Hilton stays when you check in with the card, 10,000 Hilton points after you're first purchase. You also get double bonus points for every dollar spent at Hilton family hotels when you use the card. The biggest benefit of the card is Admirals club access. Amex Platinum card holders now can use the AA Admirals club at no charge, just show you're Platinum Amex and you're in.

hiss srq
2007-08-23, 11:05 AM
Tommy, are you saving up Hilton points for a night in Paris? :lol:

mirrodie
2007-08-23, 11:42 AM
As Alex said, it's pretty basic, and doesn't have any "special" benefits beyond acquiring one mile per dollar spent.

That's correct to a degree. I just got an AAdvantage card that gives 1.25 miles /dollar over 12 months. Also, Vince, sign up for AA reweardsnetwork for miles when you go dining.

I dont like the face that using the credit or debit card doesn't contribute to elite status, but I guess the same can be said (I think) for the Skymiles Amex

I don't like that fact either but truth be told, it helps protect the true elites and I think that is fair.

With AA, only flights count toward elite status. All other miles are just general miles.

There have been many discussions on FlyerTalk of the hassle people have had with Citi. A lot of times the miles did not show up when they were supposed to and people had to make numerous calls to Citi.

Ture, but truth be told, I've never had a problem with miles posting with Citi.

Also, our 7 month old son (7 months today) has been getting Citicard offers in the mail with a bonus 40,000 mile offer. It's nice to know he's pre-approved with no credit backgroung and can get up to 40,000 bonus miles. :roll: If I get another one in the mail and you want it, let me know.

Alex T
2007-08-23, 12:19 PM
Thats a good thing Tom pointed out.

The AA Citibank card does NOT Offer bonus miles like US does, and perhaps other cards/airlines for online purchases on THAT Airline's website.

I like what US offers for their card value, and only driving force behind me not getting the card was the High Yearly Fee One would have to pay.

I still might consider a switch but who knows.

Alex

Nycfly75
2007-08-23, 12:28 PM
Well, Im kind of locked into Citi now and I dont want to go through the hassle of moving all my accounts again plus I also deal with Smith Barney (which is owned by Citi). Its a shame that Delta's only US arrangement is with AMEX and not with any banks. Im not going to get another AMEX card simply because of Delta miles, plus I can use membership rewards anyway.

Winglets747
2007-08-23, 01:05 PM
I like what US offers for their card value, and only driving force behind me not getting the card was the High Yearly Fee One would have to pay.

A well known "trick" is to call up the company around the 1 year mark and tell them you want to cancel the card. They'll usually ask why and you can say because of the annual fee and they will then usually offer you bonus miles to stay on or waive the fee. (But if they don't, you may to change your mind about canceling.)

Alex T
2007-08-23, 01:17 PM

A well known "trick" is to call up the company around the 1 year mark and tell them you want to cancel the card. They'll usually ask why and you can say because of the annual fee and they will then usually offer you bonus miles to stay on or waive the fee. (But if they don't, you may to change your mind about canceling.)

I actually DO want to switch to US Airways Card because of what it offers, but I was worried of the cancelling thing.

I am approaching my 1 yr mark in Sep with Citi.

Another driving force is also, i use STL as my traveling network and AA is the largest Airline here with over 220 flights, SWA and NWA 2nd and 2rd respectively. Now I fly for free on SWA but I use AA when SWA cannot meet my travel needs.

But I would not hesitate to switch to US because of the card offers and also I like the network US offers out of STL, N/S to 4 large cities, PHX, CLT, PHL and PIT, LAS is not a N/S for us out of STL believe it or not, on US/AW.

Alex

Nycfly75
2007-08-23, 02:43 PM
Well as I said, Im sure I wont have any problems destination wise for domestic flying with AA from NYC, with a new terminal at JFK as well.

moose135
2007-08-23, 03:01 PM
Also, our 7 month old son (7 months today) has been getting Citicard offers in the mail with a bonus 40,000 mile offer. It's nice to know he's pre-approved with no credit backgroung and can get up to 40,000 bonus miles. :roll:

Have the cats gotten any offers yet :wink:

ISP Pilot
2007-08-25, 12:44 AM
The best card I have is my Hilton Honor Platinum Amex. You get 2500 Hilton points for you're first four Hilton stays when you check in with the card, 10,000 Hilton points after you're first purchase. You also get double bonus points for every dollar spent at Hilton family hotels when you use the card. The biggest benefit of the card is Admirals club access. Amex Platinum card holders now can use the AA Admirals club at no charge, just show you're Platinum Amex and you're in.
I have both the Cit Aadvantage MC and Amex Hilton. The Platinum Amex card does NOT get you access to the Admirals Club nor Skyteam lounges (DL, CO, NW). I thought this was a benefit too until I found out that club access is granted with the Amex Platinum Charge card, which carries a $450 annual fee! I already have an Admirals Club membership so I'm in no rush to switch any time soon. In addition to the card, you also have to have a same day boarding pass on the respective airline. I also signed up for the $25 debit card just to get the 10K miles but plan to cancel after the miles post.